Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody up for a game of Whack-A-Mole?

Hi everyone! It's been an absolutely amazing first week with our little fuzz-ball! He is very easy to train and is probably the most hyper and feistiest puppy I have ever seen! When he plays fetch in

A friend of mine is learning how to use photo editing software; and he made this for me. I am going to have this printed onto a shirt! I love it! Nakoma truly is a colorful soul! And this creation

Posted Images

... maybe chocolate making lab!!!

Hahahaha.

I want some.

• Like 1

On the 4th of July, my daughter, Ranger Komi, and myself went swimming in a friend's pool, and played and played some more, and stayed up wayyyy past our bedtime. They fell asleep on the way home within minutes! On the 5th, my kid and I needed naps by noontime... we just weren't functioning ... at all. I'm pretty sure Ranger needed a nap too, but he was just too restless to stay still. So on the porch I lay, with him on my lap (he's not allowed on the furniture... but this day was an exception), as I held onto this branch while drifting into a coma (after taking the pic, of course). Later on, I woke up, the branch was on the floor, and he was sound asleep on my stomach. Ahhh... the wonders of naps!

Enjoying his branch.jpg

• Like 1

I recognize that flying ring in the background. They fly very well but are easily destroyed. Have fun. What the heck, right?

• Like 1

Took my "chocolate lab coyote" to the dog run during lunch, as usual. It's a very small park but he still gets to run around and play with other dogs.

Ranger Komi already has one "girlfriend" there... a rottie named Penny. But today, there was a whole new girl there, Eenie Meenie Minie Moe.jpg

and he just completely flat left Penny and played with Chloe! Poor Penny! He just flat left poor Penny.jpg

What a dog my guy is! :-) I LOVE THIS GIRL.jpg

So I played with Penny! :-D

Psst  - Wanna know a Secret.jpg

• Like 2

I do feel for Penny. What a dog..

You are very kind, and I am sure Penny appreciated it.

How strange and obvious, the difference in the size of their heads.

• Like 1

Update time!: "Mr. Big" got his rabies shot today! Yayyyy! Tomorrow (Friday, the 17th) he will turn 17 weeks old! And today, they weighed him at a whopping 30.2#! Holy Moly, he is growing quickly! We went to the dog run after the vet, and though I still can't get a decent shot of him for his registration, I still like how some of these pictures came out. So much fun! My my "chocolate lab" "Wiley Coyote" always manages to steal the show at this place! He's awesome!! Love him!

Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-07-03~2.png

Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-04-11~2.png

Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-07-59~2.png

Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-09-53~2.png

Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-10-38~2.png

Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-11-39~2.png

Screenshot_2015-07-16-22-11-52~2.png

• Like 1

Sherab...I sure could use a copy of the laminated card! And, oh, if you have a version with a wolf on it as well, it would prove doubly helpful!

NyteByker: You sure have one hec of a personality on your hands! I'm pretty sure that's what makes life worth living...for me, anyhow!

• Like 2

Yes... a card with a wolf on it would come in handy! Hahaha! Thanks, Joyous! Yes, he definitely does have quite a personality, the firecracker that he is! He cracks me up though and amazes me with how quickly he learns. (And then stumps me with some of the things he hasn't learned yet... either that or he just chooses not to obey... hmmm :unsure:).

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having lots and lots of fun with Nakoma (That's his real name, I just call him "Ranger Komi" on here). I am pretty baffled though as to why he peed twice times in my living room on Saturday. I wasn't expecting that... the first time, let alone the second. And worse... I didn't catch him in the act either of those times, so I couldn't even shout "no!" and correct it. He's been doing good, otherwise.

Last night though (around 1AM, when there are no other dogs outside) he really impressed me. I took him for a quick skate on a nice road that overlooks the bay.. we do this about once or twice a week... nothing too far. I won't take him on long distances until he is a year old... the road is for walkers/skaters/bikers... no cars.... He is usually pretty good at staying to my left, but for some reason, he decided to cut right in front of me and pull to the right and into the street, causing me to lose balance and crash (of course, the ONE TIME that I decide to not wear any protective gear), and during the fall, I accidentally let go of his leash. That is when panic mode set in... it was the middle of the night where no one would expect anyone to be out with their dogs, it's dark out, he's still so small and is dark brown and hard to be seen, and was running at full speed. I was on the ground (this point I managed to get up onto my knees somehow) and just kept saying "Nakoma, Come Here Baby. Come Here." He stopped and looked back at me and thought about it for a minute. When it looked like he was about to run off again, I just [as calm as possible] said "No. Come here." And he just trotted right to me with a confused look on his face. When he realized I was a little scratched/bloodied up (I'm assuming,) he licked my face and one of my scrapes on my hand, and we just very slowly went home together. On the skates, I usually let him set the pace ... but after this "crash," he basically just walked quickly and wouldn't run. (We only had a few more blocks to go). ...

What impressed me about that was (1) he obeyed the "come here" command when he really could have just taken off, (2) I honestly think he sensed I was hurting and became concerned, and (3) he decided it was best to take it easy on the rest of the way home.

Anyway... Here are some more pics from today's lunch break. I am still looking for the right registration pictures (only one month left to go before he turns 6 months). He seems to favor sticks/branches above all other toys. After that, are the bigger balls, such as this poor soccer ball! Lol! He is quite the character. He'll play fetch until he decides at the last minute that wants me to chase him instead of him giving me the ball (or stick).

Soccer Ball 1.jpg

Soccer Ball 2.jpg

Soccer Ball 3.jpg

• Like 4

When it looked like he was about to run off again, I just [as calm as possible] said "No. Come here." And he just trotted right to me....

It is always hard to be calm when you think you might lose them, but it is the thing that works.

When he realized I was a little scratched/bloodied up (I'm assuming,) he licked my face and one of my scrapes on my hand, and we just very slowly went home together.

Yeah.

• Like 1

Yes, staying calm is so hard when panic sets in, but past experience is always a great teacher (made the mistake once of shouting and running after a dog once....oops...they are fast, Lol) But all is good now. My daughter and I got him a new toy today. :-)

• Like 1

This is fun for me because I have been flailing around, trying to think of a game Sitka and I could play. He hasn't followed in Coyo's footsteps. He doesn't care about the frisbee or the ball. Recently, however, I have learned he's a soccer dog! He's got some moves, too. He has one where the ball is under his belly, and he backs away from you, corraling the ball with his legs. Gotta think how to teach him about a goal. Unlike Coyo, who was a serious ball-hog, Sitka will give you the ball to kick, and it all begins again.

• Like 3

I play soccer with Tolinka. He first started it when I showed him how to place the ball between my feet and gently nudged it from one side to the other while moving forward. Now he is a pro. So the game we play is that I will use the chuck-it and throw the ball in one direction, he races to fetches it up, comes running back at full speed to me and just before he reaches me I kick the soccer ball in the direction Tolinka is running in. He races after the ball, stops it and then bats it back and forth between his paws back to me drops both the check-it ball and the soccer ball (at my feet on a good day) and then we start all over again. :wub: Now it took the two of us to make up this game. I love when they have their OWN rules that we have to figure out. :D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow what a good baby! Every time I see pics of Nakoma, I have to double take - he is seriously the spitting image of Zephyr - we would be hard pressed to tell them apart if we ever got them together haha! Love seeing your pictures and reading your stories :)

• Like 1

The soccer ball is still intact! It has plenty of teeth marks in it, but no air has come out.... yet. ... :-D

Playing games with dogs is so much fun, but I love it even more when they basically make up their own game, and somehow manage to teach us how to play it! When I was younger, I had a dog who liked to take away the basketball from me every time I dribbled it... and he was able to run while keeping it in between his legs! Sounds like he was more like Sitka and Tolinka!!!! Ranger Komi, though... he likes for me to chase him around with whatever he has in his mouth... but he does "loop-di-loops" around trees and benches, making it nearly impossible to catch him! The rascal!!! I guess he'd be more like Coyo!

Natasha, thank you! Zephyr and Ranger Komi are clones for sure!!! Lol. I wish they could meet! love the photos you post of Zephyr!! I showed one of them to my daughter (she's 7) and she thought it was our boy, but didn't recognize the background or his leash! That was funny!

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Hello everyone! Sorry for disappearing... but I've just been having so much fun with Nakoma that there just simply isn't enough time to hop on the computer!!! He has been super amazing!!! And we've already been through a lot together.. but all is GOOD!!!

He is quite the character, that is for sure! Smart. Funny. and DEFINITELY HIGH ENERGY! I started taking him for daily Beach runs every morning (some nights), lunch hour dog park trips, and his energy just never ceases to amaze me. He makes friends with every dog he meets, and so many people have commented on his looks... his build, his eyes, his gait, his... everything! Training him has been great (except for heeling... I am having a very hard time with that one, but I won't give up).

The pictures aren't in any special order, but here are some of my favorites. I'm sure there are a gazillion more I'd like to post. Maybe in the future.

I can't believe he is almost 11 months already!!! My baby is growing up!!!!!!!

Milestones: *Told me in his own way that he no longer needs the cage (by escaping from it several times) - and has not (yet) destroyed anything that wasn't his.

* Learned to swim

* Jumps more than he walks

* After being neutered, broke three e-collars and ripped open all stitches, requiring ER services (Thank Goodness for Pet Insurance). After 2nd broken E-collar, was given narcotics that I had have filled at CVS... which had zero effect on him

* Finally stopped teething on my daughter's ankles (She is very happy)

* Apparently likes to steal my coffee when I'm in the middle of packing for us to move. THAT was a fun night.

... More to come, I am sure!

Gotta go. Nakoma needs some playing time! Oh... and these subzero temps and 28+mph winds have no effect on our runs. I was hoping that would slow him down a bit... but NOPE!

1st Snow.JPG

After a Long Day of work guarding this bed.JPG

Break time is over.JPG

Don't Tip The Boat.JPG

Facebook Fame.JPG

Foxy.JPG

GERONIMO.JPG

Gotta Fly.JPG

hahaha.JPG

I will remember you Thumper.JPG

I'm Sexy And I Know It.JPG

Midnight Beach Runs.JPG

Moving Day.JPG

Mush.JPG

My Bestest Friend.JPG

My Heart.JPG

My New Favorite Stick.JPG

Nakoma meets Neve - a Canaan dog - native to Jerusalem - Look how Similar.JPG

Pepare for Take Off.JPG

Pull with my teeth - too heavy for my back.JPG

So Happy.JPG

Still jumping after running 10 miles.JPG

Still managed to lick my neuter stitches as I wear my sister's underwear.JPG

Windy Noon.JPG

• Like 7

WOW!!! The pictures totally depict how he is one energetic, expressive, inquisitive, sweet, happy (and probably much much more!) dog. Thanks for sharing :D

• Like 2

Handsome boy!

LOL The coffee theft made me think of a rocket.

A while back there was a thread about floppy ears. Waki had ears that were huge for his body for the longest time. When he runs they still flop. To help get them to come up people encouraged me to feed foods high in calcium. I used chicken drum sticks. Nice easy bone, good marrow, a little fat and cartilage.

I don't know what it was like on earth 11,000 to 12,000 years ago - the time of the land bridge and migration but I gotta believe Siberia was cold and the ice free land corridor between the ice sheets was melted so warmer. Maybe people came to the Americas because it was less harsh. Imagine how tough the dogs had to be. Geneticists are now discovering modern homosapiens have up to 20 % neandertal DNA(1 to 3 % per person - but your Neadertal part might be different from mine and so on depending on what your ancestors needed to survive vs mine) Our ancestors were ehem, very loving and sharing. They liked to join with the local ancient populations and were smart to do it. They have even figured out in part how some of that ancient DNA from our cousin species helps our skin in cold environments. The Tibetans have a Denisovian DNA sequence that has been shown to support a blood chemistry that helps them at extreme altitude. Just imagine what our dogs have in them. Check out this story and the 4th picture of a dog enjoying himself w/o boots and coat https://weather.com/news/news/earths-coldest-town-siberia-20130123#/1 Then ponder this - this town or one very near it was in the news last year for a temperature just shy of the dew point of CO2 - yep nearly -78F. Almost had a CO2 frost. I did read that there is a radicle DNA dog guy that is getting unprecedented co operation with people that normally compete to try to get the most samples of dog DNA from everywhere ancient and modern possible. I hope he gets stuff from deep in Siberia. I think the DNA stories are only beginning and will get even more interesting in the next 20 years. Anyhow not to hijack the thread but every time someone writes about how their AID loves the sub zeros it makes me think of this. Mooka and Komi just brought up the same thing in the last 2 days. My little ones are up here in Traverse City where it's actually 0 and snowy and we have had Waki snow angels and Cake snow dance. Sure they have hair that gets a little thicker and longer but compared to most dogs they look short haired. Now I wonder about what they inherited - could it be a vascular system? or the design of the hair shaft? and so on.

Ranger Komi is very good looking. I love the combo of his white feet, eyes and the way he expresses himself with those legs. Silly goof.

• Like 2

Great photos! It says a lot! The many facets of his personality shows in the photos ;)

So he is the spotter for the weight lifting bench????

I love the pic of him running at the beach with head turned looking at you or the camera. Very coordinating and athletic.

Then there is the precious pic of your daughter laying down with him.

There are a couple things I've noticed that most AI Dogs have in common ....

They sleep in weird positions!

They play hard and sleep just as well!

Oh, and heeling on the leash ..... yeah that takes a while.

You have the right idea, I bet Komi has fun pulling the red sled!

Looks like you are having a great time with your friend Komi too!

• Like 1