Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

"[The Old People] would gather words as they walked a sacred path across the Earth, leaving nothing behind but prayers and offerings." -- -- Cleone Thunder, NORTHERN ARAPAHOE

Whenever we walk on the Earth, we should pay attention to what is going on. Too often our minds are somewhere else, thinking about the past or thinking about the future. When we do this, we are missing important lessons. The Earth is a constant flow of lessons and learnings which also include a constant flow of positive feelings. If we are aware as we walk, we will gather words for our lives, the lessons to help our children; we will gather feelings of interconnectedness and calmness. When we experience this, we should say or think thoughts of gratitude. When we do this, the next person to walk on the sacred path will benefit even more.

My Creator, today, let me be aware of the sacred path

• Like 6

Lovely. I hope we all post things from time to time that we find up-lifting. Often people come here (to Songdog) after the loss of a 4 legged - a part of the circle of life that belongs to getting the next puppy and often people come here to this family to share life's hardships. I hope this page can be a stroll in the woods for all. Delicious in good times, sustaining it hard times.

• Like 3

How beautiful and true is that, Allison? Every day I run on the beach, all year long, and I purposely go without headphones or any kind of a distraction. It's my way of connecting with Earth. Seeing our beautiful birds and our magnificent ocean, and how the ocean looks different every single day (high tide, low tide, calm, rough, smooth, choppy, windy, snow covered, [and frightening hurricane-ish too]), and the colors of the sky and sun and clouds.. and the people risking getting a ticket because they want their dogs to enjoy the beach... and watching the interactions with their dogs having pure fun... and seeing people take their little babies to the beach and watching them learn how to walk and fall in the soft sand... I love taking it all in with every step of my runs. This is what helps me calm my mind and to reflect on whatever problems I may be facing, and it's when I am able to pray my thoughts to God, being surrounded by all the natural and wondrous beauties that Earth has to offer. After taking it all in, I am refreshed and grateful for what I have, and am somehow able to come up with a new way to (try) to solve a new problem. Enjoying nature really is so amazing!

And Sherab, what you said is oh so true as well. My beloved 15 year old Chaska passed away in October, and here I am, waiting for my new puppy; my first AI - (tonight is the night and I simply cannot wait). Ahh... the circle of life... Everything happens for a reason! There is no other way!

• Like 3

As we become increasingly distracted by the increase in human suffering, it seems more important than ever to walk a sacred path. Allison, thank you for reminding me...The times I walk in pure peace with Ayita are different than when my phone is turned on in my pocket.

• Like 3

I have many friends in Nepal and many friends that love people in Nepal. Today my heart is going out to them and I have a few words to say on spiritual practice. I really think that one of the best times is in the moment when our life is stable but something in another's situation is resonating with our heart.

We read about the loss of a 4 legged and we feel the tears - the heart is open and going out. This is a very good time to - as many here have observed- to send "good vibrations".

Maybe you don't believe in prayer or sending vibrations but just allow for a moment that there is a connection you have felt - maybe you craved pizza suddenly and could almost smell it and moments later got a call from a significant other who just picked one up as a surprise. Or maybe you had a dream or a feeling about a loved one and you reached out because of it and found that your help was perfectly timed and most needed. Hopefully this is enough to allow that there is a connection -mind to mind, heart to heart.

Some of us are sitting here this morning with the shock of what is happening in Nepal (or some other suffering) and wondering how can I take joy in this day knowing what I know? For me it comes down to fundamental unity - that capacity we all have to connect at our core. When trouble comes we turn to others who are not troubled for support. Through their strength they give us a hand up and we reciprocate when we are strong and others are in need. So from the strength of our present stability and from tenderness and connection in our hearts, feel the joy and gratitude for the beauty in your day, be aware of the awareness of blessings you otherwise would not think of and from that place prayers and tonglen to Nepal and all who are suffering. All the suffering and all the love in the world are in us already, in every moment.

Tonglen (giving and receiving). First center the mind in the moment. Then make a prayer or aspiration. Picture at your heart center a dynamic sphere of light and energy. Perhaps you see it as the compassion of Christ, perhaps as the universal mind, God or how ever you honor that Mystery. As you breath out, send out all your good wishes, joy, health, happiness. As you breathe in take in the pain, sickness and sorrow as a black cloud consumed and converted by the great catalytic light at your heart, converted into light and energy for your out breath. Breath. Close by dedicating the merit or making a prayer.

As you go about your day, take time to recognize your blessings and enjoyment.

SDC10616.JPG.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

• Like 7

Every day I run on the beach, all year long, and I purposely go without headphones or any kind of a distraction. It's my way of connecting with Earth.

I used to always have music to accompany me, but once I had my first AIDog, all that changed. Now, like you, I want to hear the sounds of nature and feel the connection and awareness of what is around me.

Kim often talks about these dogs bringing us back to our original selves, away from the hectic modern world. In my case, it is so true. My first dog's and my language took on a very quiet element, as I learned from him, and he from me. We were able to sneak up and observe many animals and birds. Later he was able to warn me of danger from bear and cougar, without making a sound.

It was pure communication, and it felt like magic.

• Like 5

How beautiful and true is that, Allison? Every day I run on the beach, all year long, and I purposely go without headphones or any kind of a distraction. It's my way of connecting with Earth. Seeing our beautiful birds and our magnificent ocean, and how the ocean looks different every single day (high tide, low tide, calm, rough, smooth, choppy, windy, snow covered, [and frightening hurricane-ish too]), and the colors of the sky and sun and clouds.. and the people risking getting a ticket because they want their dogs to enjoy the beach... and watching the interactions with their dogs having pure fun... and seeing people take their little babies to the beach and watching them learn how to walk and fall in the soft sand... I love taking it all in with every step of my runs. This is what helps me calm my mind and to reflect on whatever problems I may be facing, and it's when I am able to pray my thoughts to God, being surrounded by all the natural and wondrous beauties that Earth has to offer. After taking it all in, I am refreshed and grateful for what I have, and am somehow able to come up with a new way to (try) to solve a new problem. Enjoying nature really is so amazing!

And Sherab, what you said is oh so true as well. My beloved 15 year old Chaska passed away in October, and here I am, waiting for my new puppy; my first AI - (tonight is the night and I simply cannot wait). Ahh... the circle of life... Everything happens for a reason! There is no other way!

Allison, I love this thread.

NyteByker, well said... deeply felt

Sherab, you move me....

• Like 4

In lieu of actually writing an update post about Draco & Wicca, I will just add something here....

These two have been a family favorites for a few generations now.

Committment

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back-- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." -- Goethe

And, my little signature line: "Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Edited by Gib
  • Like 5

Very nice.

Love that Goethe quote Gib....thanks for sharing!