Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

This Is How I Trained Elena To Run With A Four Wheeler! And A Short Story!

I will start with the fact that I am disabled a bit so I don't run much anymore?!?!? walking is limited most days. SO with that out of the way! Lol I use my Quad daily for Ranch chores and running around. (I can't tell you all how many stories I have heard of a pup getting ran over) I dusted off my old lunge whip I used once for horses, and by starting Slow!!!! with your pup running along side of the bike, you can pop the ground with this simple tool in front of the bike when He or She gets near! Its very simple, and with the smarts of these dogs it only took One day of this with Elena for her to know that the Tire is Bad! Never Once was the whip used on her!!!!! Only the ground! Also I removed the Popper off the end so not to make her fear sounds such as gun shots or what ever. Now the Cool story! yesterday we where out for her run around the hay field and she will took off! So I took off with her? she likes to race. She slowed it up for me and I looked down at the speedometer as we where now side by side to see she was Cruising at 25mph! Wow!

• Like 7

Oh, this has me laughing.

• Like 2

The mental picture of the two of you racing in the hay field is priceless. What fun. A whole new game. Whens the next race? maybe kick it up a notch and see if Elena will reach 30MPH.....The race is on. :D By the way, what a great way on how to teach the pups not to go in front of the quad. Two Step and Rain sometimes play right at my feet while walking. I'm going to try this method on them. (Have to pull the old short horse whip out......) I am so afraid I will step on or trip over them. Thanks for a great idea.

• Like 4
I too LOVE this idea! Little Kola can now out run our Siberian Husky!

WOW!!!!

Hmmmmm, reason 27 to get another AI Dog .....

• Like 1

Yesterday Elena was in a racing mood; she Hit 30+ for about 40 yards before letting up only a bit! As I remember she was kinda the runt of her litter. Wonder how fast her siblings are at this point?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Elena and turkey update:

We raise turkeys for meat and three weeks ago 11 pullets hatched from our chocolate hen.

Two weeks go by and Elena could always be found laying next to the pullet pen house or walking with momma and babies in the open pen. If any odd noise was made, Elena would run barking with hair raised towards the pullet pen to circle and checkout that everything was okay. Life was perfect...and then the family of crows came...

At first it seemed they were just flying by and eating cow pies in the field..this lasted a few days. They didn't come near and Elena watched. She learned that the crows were starting to come closer to the electric cow fence that she wouldn't dare cross. Her barking increased and then she stopped suddenly. We would all check on the turkeys now since she didn't seem to bark anymore...she would just lay by the e.fence and watch the crows across the field. This lasted about two days more.

One morning Elena had to get out early and was raising the roof with her barking and howling! She tore out of the door, jumped nearly six feet off the porch, jumped slightly sideways THRU the electric fence wires and had the crows caught off guard in the field (she is that fast and quiet running!) We thought this was great and were proud Elena was starting to protect the farm. She also showed us why she had been quiet the last two days, while she figured away between the wires.

That afternoon, as per our family schedule, Clay and Elena loaded up in the truck to get the boys from school. Upon returning, Clay, Elena and the boys found the chocolate hen without half her feathers, trying to fly out of her pen...and no chicks...

Frantically, Elena ran the entire 10 acre field, over and over, yelping for the chicks, yelping, howling, barking over and over she ran....while Clay and the boys searched...the crows had taken the pullets....Elena, tired of multiple acres of running came back and started to whine. Everyone was angry and filled with grief. And then....Elena stopped whining and started sniffing....and sniffing paths...and the boys heard a tiny chirp...

Elena found the one pullet not taken!!! It was hiding under the horse trailer and separated from momma chocolate. Clay quickly got it and reunited mother and chick...all was not completely lost!

Yet again Elena has amazed us! We now are rebuilding/fortifying our turkey pens to be all bird proof. Another hen is sitting now and we all have learned a tough farming lesson.

Bottom line is that these dogs learn quicker than any other breed I have worked with in the past, and we are very grateful Kim and crew are continuing such successful care taking of this breed!

• Like 3

I am in total awe and speechless. Fantastic story about Elana, "the great turkey protector." ......but sad about the baby pullets...... that's a hard one. You must be so proud of her. I hope you gave her extra treats for that show of brilliance and knowing her job. Next time those crows won't hang around now that she knows how to get through the fence if she has to. WOW!

You made my morning with this story. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes what a wonderful story. My sister raises her own chickens...hawks would try to get them....I taught Chhaya to get the "bad birds". Chhaya watches the sky intently when we are at her place and if she sees them she runs and barks at them and chases them away....amazing isn't it how smart these dogs are!?

• Like 2

Yep. Pretty darn smart. It makes me want to go back through out the postings on this forum and gather all of the other amazing stories that these dogs have done over the years........ :wub:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

An Elena Update: (from the Alfa) Elena continues to patrol the momma turkey and the baby who was named Peeps! Any time she leaves the house the first thing she does is go look for momma chocolate and peeps! However momma chocolate is done with elena checking on her and Now! chases poor elena every time she checks in, Elena runs side ways with her tail between her legs,(she is so Fast) and peeps learning to fly is right behind momma! It really is a funny site to see! I love My little dog!

• Like 2

Peeps...that so cute. I can just picture Elena's sideways move. Do you intend to get more Turkeys, this season?

Oh, I reread that you have another hen sitting. How is she? Used to Elena by now, I expect.

The other hen seems to not be with it? She is of a slightly larger breed called Narragansett Turkey and my Tom is a chocolate . We had two other Narragansett hens but lost Them to the elements? One had a nest ready to hatch and the weather got hot and she wouldn't leave the nest she made in the sun ,and I found her cold sitting on the nest. Much earlier than that the other Narragansett was flying down from are one lonely pine! and hit her head on a branch causing her to lose the ability to walk or function. Turkeys have had there challenges! Perhaps I should stick with Four legged critters? The turkeys are a ongoing experiment that I will dial in! with Peeps there is my Hope! I started with five young sex un-known turkeys. Three of the larger breed and two chocolates. Only One tom came out of the bunch ,and I was really happy it worked out that the chocolate was it! As for elena and the rest of the feathered vermin! they all get along mostly. The tom likes to strut All the time and it makes her nervous but She still goes around them. She loves the chickens ! every time one makes noises laying an egg she must go bark but can't ever figure out why the chicken is Crying out? its funny most of the time! haha

... its funny most of the time! haha

hahahaha