Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Chief Pup-Pup

Hello all! My name is Alyssa and I am the frazzled yet proud new momma of this little beasty. While I've grown up with dogs, this is my first dog that is entirely my own. Yikes! I guess we both have some learning to do. Enough about me, let me introduce you to my handsome boy I've been calling Chief Pup-Pup, or just Chief for short. I'm not sure if the pictures do him justice, but he has quite the serious little face, and furrows his brow when he is questioning something in his environment. He must think he is big stuff, because he struts around with a puffed up chest like he owns the place. Uh oh. His favorite toy is a giant gorilla twice his size that he likes to slowly and silently stalk and then POUNCE! When he is not chewing something (we are working on eat this, not that) he is hiding under the couch waiting for his next victim (one of our older dogs) to walk by. He definitely lives by the play hard, sleep hard mentality. I've taken him everywhere I can, and he loves to ride in the car, especially if I put his window down. We went for a bike basket ride yesterday and after a failed skydiving attempt, he settled down nicely. He is pretty good at following me around the house and in the yard, even if it's just because he wants to bite my feet. Hey- I'll take what I can get. I introduced him to snow when we first got home and he just about lost it he was so excited by it. Running, diving, pouncing. I have a feeling he might be a good dog for me to ski with. While this whole time puppy momma thing is exhausting - I sleep just as hard as he does at the end of the day- I think we are getting to know each other and are learning how to communicate. When he does something I don't like, I've been using a foreboding and assertive "eh". He stops what he is doing and sits down. Not sure why this is more effective than no, but it works for him so it works for me. I can't wait to see this little guy grow up into the dog I know he can be. So excited to see his personality come out and continue to develop. He has been such a mischievous, playful, loving addition to my life and feel unbelievably lucky to be an American Indian dog owner. More updates and pictures to follow! image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 8

Well, that is just about as cute as it gets. Glad you got a photo. Don't think he will fit in there for long.

• Like 2

Welcome and thanks for the excellent introduction.

• Like 1

Hi Alyssa, WELCOME!

Sounds like you'll have lots of good stories for us as he grows!

Glad he likes the snow! That sounds fun!

Thanks for posting the update Alyssa. I look forward to seeing more pics and hearing about Chief as he grows.

Hello all! My name is Alyssa and I am the frazzled yet proud new momma of this little beasty. While I've grown up with dogs, this is my first dog that is entirely my own. Yikes! I guess we both have some learning to do.

Yes, it appears to be true that this is YOUR first dog entirely your own. Assuming that solitary responsibility is so very important to both of you.

Someone once suggested to me, "Assume nothing except responsibility."

So, while you are wholly responsible, your new Chief Pup-Pup also comes with all of US.

And, I've looked around... there is no other breed, no other kennel, no other forum that comes with US :D.

I've used the support of this forum and the many AI Dog elders a thousand times. Sometimes when it feels that we wouldn't have made it through without this forum.

We've got your back... We all have each others' backs.

Welcome to the family...

• Like 9

Will you get a load of the "Chief Pup Pup" the free range dog.....now that's a picture of "handsome," what a face....... with BIG wisdom in those blue eyes. You're going to have lots of fun with this ball of energy. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Update #2: I'm not sure where these past few weeks have gone. Oh wait, scratch that- I know exactly where they went. They've gone to the dogs. I settled on a name for my mischievous little guy, and it couldn't be more fitting: Wily. Everywhere I take him, people can't get enough of him. I've been spreading the word about American Indian dogs and tooting the horn of this wonderful breed. Often people think he is part wolf, or try to convince me he is, and I tell them 1) absolutely not and 2) why I wouldn't want him to be. He is incredibly smart and is picking up basic obedience commands quite quickly. He's "mastered" sit, shake, down, roll-over, wait, leave it, and come. The hardest part is getting his attention, but once I have it, he usually does pretty well. I've taken him most everywhere I go that he can go and is getting used to car rides, bike rides (in a basket and in a trailer), kids, and other dogs. Just the other day we went to my friend's house and there were four big dogs there. He held his own against them the whole time and wouldn't let them boss him around. He is incredibly playful, and will only snuggle when he is completely worn out. He is learning to love people, and gives a very sweet greeting (low crouch, ears back, wagging tail) to new people he meets. Although he doesn't really understand the whole petting thing. "Stop touching me- let's play!" Leash walking has been going well, and he only tugs the leash in the beginning. He learned to use the dog door to the backyard and accidents only happen every few days. My hardest challenge with him so far has been getting him to not bite fingers, and walking feet. Because he is a cute puppy, everyone like to play with him with their hands and he gets pretty excitable and doesn't know how hard he bites. The biggest personal breakthrough I made with him was realizing that it's my job to be a calm, assertive, patient leader and show him the job he needs to do in my life. As long as I keep that in mind, and not get frustrated or angry, we stay in tune with each other and our relationship gets stronger. He watches me, follows me, and I can't help but smile when people say "Your dog knows who mom is". For a few days, I had some serious self-doubt in my ability to train a dog. You get what you give, and if everyday I'm giving my best, then there is not much else I can do. He works hard to figure out what I want, and if I'm not giving him enough attention or exercise, he finds it himself, for better or for worse. He's feisty and energetic, and even though he is challenging at times, I guess I wouldn't ask for any other dog because he's exactly what I need :)sleepypup.jpg

• Like 6

... if I'm not giving him enough attention or exercise, he finds it himself, for better or for worse. ...

I've had the fun of raising 2 of these guys- and I always tell myself

"Any mistakes the puppy makes are the Human's fault." :)

That and all the moments you invest now, will pay of in years of wonderful companionship.

• Like 1

O. M. G. Squeeeeeel! What a sweet baby.

Good that you are a "credentialed" wolf rehabber. I can tell you that some people don't believe me because they don't want to. Some get angry. They really want a part fox unicorn golden coyote. I can say that she does seem to step out of a dream but shouldn't that be enough or even better? I also have stolen someone's response: why yes this is a coyote and I just caught it up the road today...

RE: self doubt - I can understand that. A new pup and a breed almost no one is familiar with will do that. Pups grow and their brains, body, chemistry will bounce around for the first 18 months quite a bit. Just remember that and be consistent / persistent. There are plenty of stories right here on the Forum about tears, fears, holes in pants, perfect (teen) dogs that suddenly stop doing recall, car barking, triumphs, tips, tricks and joys. In the end I bet you both surpass your expectations but you might not see that until 3 years onward.

I hope you start a new thread some time on the differences between dogs and hybrids. I think we owners could speak with more authority if we knew a bit more. sundog.jpg

• Like 6
O. M. G. Squeeeeeel! What a sweet baby. Good that you are a "credentialed" wolf rehabber. ...... I hope you start a new thread some time on the differences between dogs and hybrids. I think we owners could speak with more authority if we knew a bit more. [img=http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] sundog.jpg

Wily! Fitting! Welcome aboard!!!!!

I got my first AI Dog in November. She is 6 months now and yes, we all have some stories! It seems everyone is a bit different.

Ditto on posting of your wolf-hybred experiences. When you get a chance - I know puppy may keep you busy for a bit!!!!!! B)

• Like 1

Nice post, Alyssa. You, Chinatola, and others are helping me to get my head in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

pic.jpg pic2.jpg

Greetings! Here are two pictures of me and and my boy from our most recent hike. We drove out to Jefferson Lake trail head and did an excursion. I've been teaching him to cross logs and streams- he is my trail dog in training. He needs to be able to go wherever I go- up mountains and across rivers! I have him off leash for most of the hikes usually, and he does a good job sticking near me, although this is probably because he is still young enough to need me for protection. My favorite thing to do is hop onto some rocks or island in a shallow section of a river and see him desperately problem solve his way out to me. He certainly has a drive to go wherever I go, do whatever I do, but also pretty good sense when the water is too fast/deep or the log too treacherous. We only have two more weeks until our last round of puppy vaccinations and I CAN BARELY WAIT to take him everywhere. I try to choose remote places to limit his exposure to other dogs but sometimes the best we can do on busy day is a walk in the neighborhood. He seems to have limitless energy and I am so satisfied with myself when I wear him out. Two walks, a puppy play date, some training, and a long game of tug of war later he is finally sleeping! Woo hoo. Time for a quick power nap before he recharges and we start all over.

As far as recent behavior quirks go he started doing this strange thing of going outside to poop...but then carrying it right back in the house to eat it. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but we're working on it. I've been putting some pumpkin in his breakfast because I read somewhere it makes it taste less desirable the second time through. It helps a little, but isn't fool proof.

I still leave him in the crate to sleep in when I am at home. However, he is an escape artist and he figured out how to open it. Now I have to lock him in with a clip! I imagine I will keep doing this for awhile longer, until I can trust him not to chew through the house. I make an exception to this rule when I am out camping. He cuddles up by my feet and miraculous stays there all night. I no longer set an alarm, because he is awake by 6:15 everyday and is raring to go. It's been hard for me to get up that early, but I'm adjusting (it only took me seven weeks). Do these guys ever learn to sleep in or am I going to be an early riser for the foreseeable future?

Anyone that sees him is unbelievably captivated. I'm constantly hearing things like "I've never seen a pup like that before!" People sense that there is something different about this breed. I think it's his eyes and how he looks at you.

Everyday is new, and we are growing up and learning with each other. Some days we are in tune and I can communicate entirely through hand signals and subtle gestures and he gets it. Other days, I can say his name and call and call and he acts like he can't hear a thing.

Even though there are days that are challenging and he is unbelievably rambunctious, I can't thank Kim enough for matching me with this wonderful little monster. He's the one for me, no doubt.

• Like 12

WOW! You both are beautiful! A match made in heaven it appears :) Keep sharing....he is absolutely stunning/handsome!

• Like 2

Those are great pictures! Thanks for sharing the story that accompanies them!

I had a problem with poop eating...wait...let me rephrase that: One of my dogs had a problem with poop eating....better.

Liliko'i for a time was interested in eating the poop from our Ida-girl who has since crossed over the rainbow bridge. It was a phase and eventually she stopped doing it. Seemed to me that she was doing it in an effort to get a rise out of me as opposed to a mineral deficiencies or some such but I don't really know why. She'd only do it if I wasn't paying attention which is very rare...especially when they're pups...which is when this happened.

Lili is a bit if a food snob...very picky eater...in fact, has yet to eat today ...she's at the office with me today....she needs a break from this 3969.2.jpg

...because it's a constant torment:

• Like 2

Awesome pictures!!! Beautiful dog! ! And, yes, you will be an early riser from now on. I think morning is the best time of the day anyway :D ...don't you?

• Like 1

Wow he definitely has some of the most beautiful markings. I am happy for you and the wonderful life you both have ahead of you. May there be many wonderful adventures!

Yes it is possible to sleep in but you might need to do a midnight pre-emptive potty or wait until they are 10. Cake is our alarm clock but she's let us sleep in since turning 18 months- at least every now and then.

They are sensitive to week ends vs week days, if you are on a typical work - off schedule. You can take him out and then go back to bed and possibly condition him that week ends have a different start and stop time.

Go with him and supervise the pooping. You can then correct the problem while it's fresh. He will need to learn drop it and leave it and the mommy noise of great disapproval (what ever your noise will be) and you may be wearing latex gloves for some mouth spelunking for a while.

I did have the poop eating problem with Waki after a course of antibiotics and with Cake when she got a tape worm from "wild eating" (mouse or chipmunk or both). All such interest stopped with corrective probiotics and getting rid of the worms. Once or twice a week I add yogurt or something akin to that to their food. I take a tablespoon and add a glob that I stir in. Seems to keep them in good shape.

• Like 1

Update #2: I'm not sure where these past few weeks have gone. Oh wait, scratch that- I know exactly where they went. They've gone to the dogs. I settled on a name for my mischievous little guy, and it couldn't be more fitting: Wily. Everywhere I take him, people can't get enough of him. I've been spreading the word about American Indian dogs and tooting the horn of this wonderful breed. Often people think he is part wolf, or try to convince me he is, and I tell them 1) absolutely not and 2) why I wouldn't want him to be. He is incredibly smart and is picking up basic obedience commands quite quickly. He's "mastered" sit, shake, down, roll-over, wait, leave it, and come. The hardest part is getting his attention, but once I have it, he usually does pretty well.

Please come to Texas and meet moonfire to train her....lol have fun with him. He is gorgeous :D

Great update!

You are doing well with him and he looks like he is getting big already!

My sister's dog taught my dog to litter box graze. I have to watch that.

I go through the listening great and no listening at all. I don't think I'm the only one. It seems to run in 'the family' ....

Have a fun time! Sounds like your training is going well!