Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Eye Shine

what color is your dogs eye shine when you see them in the dark? Nita's are red

• Like 1

Different color eyes will reflect a different color at night. I never really thought much about it until I had Anoki and his sister staying with us. Anoki has green/hazel eyes and his eyes reflect green in the dark. Anoki's sister had one blue and one green eye so in the dark her eyes where red and green. That was kinda cool because I could tell them apart at night.

• Like 3

Tolinka has gold eyes, he shines green, Two Step has blue eyes, and shines red, Rain has hazel eyes / copper brown / depending on the lighting and she shines green, two cats are green, one is red (he has blue eyes like Two Step). :wacko:

Gators are red too. That's how my Cajun friends know to put their hands in the water to catch a frog or not.

Hee Hee Nita gators and Sita gators.I hear they eat grass catchers.

• Like 2

Haven't noticed Tayamni's eye shine in the dark, but did capture on film:

Her eyes have become a medium brown??? IMG_20150302_220102_edit_edit.jpg

and her eye shine is greenish yellow?

IMG_20141231_072733.jpg IMG_20141219_082522.jpg

• Like 1

when do you see eye shine at night?

I have seen it from my cats, when a hallway light is on and it is dark in the room they are in.

I have not seen eye shine like this yet from Tayamni. (She's usually in the room with me).

How can I try to view it?

A flashlight at night pointed straight at the dog, not at an angle. I use a flash light outside at night and that is when you can see the eye shine.

A flashlight at night pointed straight at the dog, not at an angle. I use a flash light outside at night and that is when you can see the eye shine.

What color are Anoki's eyes then?

What color are Anoki's eyes then?

Anoki's eyes are green at night when a light shines in his eyes. Blue eyes should show red eyes at night when a light shines in the eyes. It's pretty cool at night at SDK to see a lot of red and green eyes staring back at you when shining a light into the compounds.

• Like 4

OK. I have tried multiple flashlights and found another weird thing about Tayamni.

She doesn't have bright eyeshine ..... all the better to sneak up on you with!

A car's headlight's hit her and I saw faint yellow with a maybe a slight bit of green? Definitely yellow.

Then she moved through the yard an a neighbor's flood lights caught her and the shine was dull but it was amber (orangy) definitely amber, not red.

It was never a long focus so I don't know if the implied lack of brightness is due to the angle when I've seen it.

My sister said she has caught Tayamni with the flashlight and saw amber (yellow-orange) but NOT overly bright.

We tried two different LED flashlights last night, Tayamni looked right at us - nothing.

It seems only incandescent flashlight worked on her - need new batteries!!!!!!!

My cats eye's, especially Nicole, the Bengal, doesn't shine bright, and Sid my Siamese didn't have bright eye shine either (unless caught just right).

Camera flash is a different story.

Still working on this - anyone else have amber eye shine?

Edited by Denise E.

This morning, it was not quite light, (breaking dawn - twilight) so I could see Tayamni at the back fence line and she changed direction and I saw yellow shine - NOT French's Yellow mustard, but more like stone-ground mustard.

So they are yellow amber. Whew!!!!!! I never thought I'd figure this out :P

She seems to have good night sight - I wonder why she doesn't have intense eye shine?

She also has a day time look when she is trying to figure me out - that look right into me look - :ph34r:

• 4 months later...

I know this topic is a few months old arleady, but I thought it was interesting when I first saw this post (before my puppy was even born). So... here are three pictures of my guy's eyes. The first two are on the first night he arrived home (after he traveled for 13 hours and 3 planes, pobrecito). The third picture was last night. His eye coloring has changed since we got him, and apparently, so did his eye shine!!! Pretty neat!

Eye Shine.jpg

• Like 1

WOW! PURPLE EYES SHINE - NEAT! NOW EMERALD GREEN!

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Kito's shine green. I could see them through the glass while I was in the shower last night! I guess he happened to be at exactly the right angle.

• Like 2