Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tayamni is almost 16 weeks old now,

A couple weeks ago she began the leap up on me out of no where when I sitting down in the living room.

(She sees the cats do this and get attention).

She has not been allowed on the furniture and started sitting on the furniture about the same time.

(Of course the cats are on the furniture - as they are animals that prefer different levels, especially heights).

Roger, my sisters NON-AID, jumps up on the couch whenever we are not home - he doesn't even wait until I am out of the driveway and there is his head in the window. Tayamni is crated but she can probably smell Roger's scent on the pillows. He is totally over them - even I can smell him on the pillows - (so glad they invented allergen febreeze!)

For a week we were getting her off the furniture and then found out she is VERY good at negotiation.

"I won't bother you in the kitchen feeding the cats - IF I can watch you while I resting on the couch ......"

Ahh, convenience, peace - no constant "leave it, yes-good girl, leave it, yes, OFF, OFFF - yes, good gir ... OFF - yes"! Great negotiating skills Tayamni has!

New RULES:

No shredding anything the belongs on the couch (she has been good about that - only two inappropriate holes in things - before being allowed on furniture).

Must get OFF when asked (still Mark Yes & treat when they are nearby)

Definitely OFF if person eating in living room - and always OFF of TV trays.

Normally ask her to get off of furniture before sitting down, then call her back up - if she is waiting. Most of the time she is on to something else or playing musical chairs.

ISSUES:

LEAPING

OMG! Puppy launch! Kind of like punkin' chuckin' I guess - Only I'm the target!

She's so happy! but she nails me in the face with her paws and almost knocks the wind out of me sometimes.

I like that she wants affection from me *as the cats do and get lovins' - but I don't want her hurting me or others as she gets bigger.

Suggestions please -

PAWS UP on things:

This is new - she has learned to stretch and put her paws onto things:

Doors (when she wants to go out), the stove top - she can reach it and I prepare her meals there and the counter next to it - the cats meals,

counter top, kitchen table, ME.

ME is a couple days new. I tell her off and she does get down, so it's YES! Good girl and usually a treat.

I don't know if she is trying to be bigger so I don't have to bend down or what the meaning is. She is always wagging her tail when she does this.

Looking very pleased and happy, sometimes eager.

What is usually the puppies motive when they do this?

Am I training properly for the behavior?

WRAPPING PAWS AROUND LEG

This is new as of today.

We were in the back yard, this morning before work and during the afternoon home visit for potty break and she wrapped her front paws around my leg (NOT humping) and I actually dragged her a step and then told her "OFF, yes".

In the Morning we were on our way back to the house - for me to go to work.

In the afternoon if was right after she pottied as we were going to play for a little bit.

She stopped and then tried crowding me as I was walking. I stopped walking and she gave me some space.

I still have the goal and am conscious that I would like her to pass the certified therapy dog testing so we can volunteer where needed. (children's hospital, hospice .... etc). Tayamni LOVES children!

These aren't huge problems yet and I'm hoping for suggestions so I can make sure these items don't become issues.

I don't know if I should ignore certain things and she'll grow out, or if I need to utilize some more tools or tough-love differently .....

My first AI Dog and I have experienced some of the differences and want to learn more! :wub:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!

• Like 1

Cake, my very sweet, submissive girl has done all of those things. The grabbing the leg thing just gets me. It's too sweet but needed to be stopped because in summer it would be a leg shredder. It's like a little child tugging on your pants to get attention. You can nip it in two ways. One is to train her that humans are as delicate as bone china. Make a big production of how much she is hurting you. It will stop. OR you can go more fierce - a good NO! or sharp turn and growl. I'm sure there are other ways. You can do "owie gentle" or "tisk tisk tisk be polite" and less of a production on the injury as a way to teach a command that you can use when she's a little too excited with another person.

Can't help u on the furniture. I love a good lap warmer. Plus we lean over the back of the sofa together we three and look for "deer people" together.

• Like 3

Nita does the wrap the leg thing. I squirt her with the water bottle and say no!! as she is doing that. now i don't need the bottle just say no

Can't help u on the furniture. I love a good lap warmer. Plus we lean over the back of the sofa together we three and look for "deer people" together.

LOL to this Sherab..I found out quickly that I had no heart for keeping Sita off the couch because I really like her there, so why fight THAT battle :) however, the hole she put in it (old couch luckily) and the destruction of several of our nice throw pillows have been casualties. Thankfully, after many NO's and redirect towards chew toys and various bone like substances, she is heading for the pillows less and the dog toys more. Really, her appetite for destruction is pretty small (no carpets, books, shoes, furniture legs, etc etc)

Puppy launch running sideways off of my chest while I sit on the couch sounds familiar! No leg hugs yet. Most of that sounds like play to me Denise, play you can choose to allow or be big mama and put the kibosh on. That's one thing that has been shifting perspective wise, that often Sita's 'bad' behavior is her way of having fun...and that I can maintain a light 'playful' attitude even while I am calm and assertive...I enjoy that more than an endless stream of grim and serious NO's and tsssssks

• Like 3
Nita does the wrap the leg thing. I squirt her with the water bottle and say no!! as she is doing that. now i don't need the bottle just say no

Ha Rik I was hoping that the water bottle would be some last line of defense for me, as it turns out Sita just walks forward towards the spray with a grin on her face! Spray me again Papa! Maybe it will be a fun 'carrot' in the summer for her, rather than the 'stick' it is for others lol

• Like 2
Ha Rik I was hoping that the water bottle would be some last line of defense for me, as it turns out Sita just walks forward towards the spray with a grin on her face! Spray me again Papa! Maybe it will be a fun 'carrot' in the summer for her, rather than the 'stick' it is for others lol

Sri,

Tayamni hates rain but water bottle doesn't phase her.

You can get a can of compressed air at the pet stores and a short blast gets the focus redirected.

Don't blast it at them, just into the air.

We don't use the can much and don't carry it around everywhere.

I like it because it really does help when Tayamni is getting hyper excited and not listening to me at all .... :)

• Like 1

I missed the photo op this morning of the nose and eyes appearing over the couch from my view in the kitchen.

Will have to capture that sometime - IT'S SOOO DARN CUTE!

I also missed the photo op (was getting camera) of her stretched up plastered on window -when Roger went out for his walk ....

I got these instead:

IMG_20141230_081707.jpgIMG_20141230_081738.jpg

We've negotiated the furniture: as listed in my first post so it's the launching herself onto me and the wrapping and stretching her paws onto things I've got to work with -

The wrapping - I like your gentle approach on this Sherab - i'll go somewhere between the "Ouch" and the "Ehhh Ehhh".

I realized this started when the other dog, Roger, wasn't there to play with her. I generally don't play tug with her - it used to get her play hyper toward people (even as a younger puppy). I guess it still does .... she needed the exercise though and throwing the tug wasn't getting her to move. So I'll watch that and keep it to a minimum. We have a month until my sister and Roger go up to Mom's for another visit. A month to grow and mature - and by then WE CAN GO TO THE DOG PARK!!!!! :P

The launching / leaping I hope she grows out of ..... well, for other people's sake's. I have cats so used to inadvertent scratches etc. A black eye might be hard to explain when she gets bigger --- Really, my dog did it!!!!!!!!

AND Can't have a therapy dog launching itself onto elders and children.

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

do you use it on stream instead of spray?

"Grim and serious no's" - love it! I did give Shiva a hug. He apparently has helped me raise 2 pups more than I ever thought...including 6 months with a Wakinyan growing out of his neck. jobp3.jpg Shhh don't wake the baby...IMG_0372.jpg

And Miss Tara who was the shepherdess (here keeping the baby from wondering off while we cut wood). jobp.jpg and disciplinarian - if the baby did wander off there was a retrieval and correction coming.

jobp2.jpgIMG_0226.jpgIMG_0293.jpg

Here is an older thread on biting. http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3030&hl=%2Bhalloween+%2Bmouth&do=findComment&comment=26903

Can u make Halloween mouth?

• Like 2

Rik, lol, definitely on stream! Once I even blasted her with like 8 squirts, and all I got to show for it was an obstinate dog with a wet head

Sherab, I have seen the thread with Halloween mouth...so intense! Incredible photos

• Like 2

And your GSD's are so beautiful with your AI dogs, they definitely look like each others larger and smaller cousins. I wonder, in temperament, what you would say is the main difference between the breeds? If you feel like answering that

• Like 2

Sri thanks for asking. I'd love to say. One is a tiger and the other is a monkey.

AIDs are much more multi purpose. Very sweet, constantly entertaining, mischievous, curious and openly receptive (at least mine are) to people and other animals. Almost no one is afraid of them, infact most people and animals seem drawn to them. They are not particularly brave and do not have a drive that can be set off. They hunt to eat. The can dig for a chimpunk for 2 hours solid but they aren't going to hang out "supervising" you for 2 hours while you split wood. Every day they ask - what adventure are you taking me on? and is it play time? bed time is for sleeping. A bad habit or fear can be erased with time and patience. They eat quadraped poops and roll in nasty things. GSDs are a solid presence, ever watchful and protectful. If drive is engaged they are impervious to pain, threat to their life and obstacles. They are suspicious of other people and animals and that is reciprocal. Things and the living -such as the deer are suppose to be in their proper place (ok to be in the low land but forbidden under the apple tree), they need a job. A bad habit or fear can be minimized with much effort over a life time. They don't hunt but they do organize and manage - chipmunks up there, deer over there, owls and coyoties are forbidden. They don't kill unless there is a threat - Tara once dispatched of a persistent possum that wouldn't leave the fenced area after several days of attempts to run it off- due to protecting cake as a puppy but that's the only time she killed anything. Shiva plucked a baby racoon off a tree because he could but set the little guy down unharmed. He was just making a point about who was in charge of the land. bed time is for patrol. Every day they ask who's in charge today, is it me? How are they alike: high energy, looks, agility, intelligence, stubbornness, empathy and joy of living. Both will sometimes think they know better than you (and it's true). At those times they will humor you with an obvious look and compliance or ignore you and do what's appropriate, trusting that you are smart enough to figure it out. Both like lots of attention, cuddles and hugs.

OH and GSDs need a much stronger, firmer hand. AIDs need a much lighter touch.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 3

I didn't get the exact picture of the result of Tayamni's negotiations but this is the gist of it (head is usually lower on the arm of couch and I see nose, eyes and ears only - reminds me of an crocodile with pointy ears!)

she mostly leaves the cat dishes alone when feeding them - AND listens better to LEAVE IT & OFF commands with stuff in the kitchen when she has her comfortable kitchen 'overlook':

IMG_20141231_072733.jpg

Sherab:

Love the pics! Especially little Waki between Tara and Shiva. :wub: The last three pics are all adorable!

I wish Roger (Terri-doxie) had adult socialization skills, Tayamni will learn these skills from balanced adult dogs at the Dog Park and hopefully Roger will learn from her.

Tayamni is definately the apha in training :D

Also, thanks for your observations between GSDs and AI Dogs. ;)

It is good for me as a first time AI Dog person to hear / read experienced people's commentings.

I have noticed differences between Tayamni and the last puppy I raised (George, who was a GSD) and also general differences in the RE-training we have had to do with Roger and initial training with Tayamni.

As it had been so long for me in between raising puppies - and not stepping in to train Roger until a couple years ago .... Roger is my current memories and OK, 28 years is hard to remember what I did right!!!!! LOL! :lol:

Roger is more like the GSD in that the re-conditioning is reversing an issue 80- 90% but as you say 'a bad habit or fear can be minimized with a much effort over a lifetime'.

Funny, I don't remember George being as much effort to train as Tayamni - ah yes, there were well balanced adult dogs around - I lived on a horse farm then.... I thought it was that i was just getting old ...... :blink:

so happy now to know that Tayamni as an adult will help with raising another AI Dog someday ....... :rolleyes:

Yes your right 0 they are like potato chips ..... ya can't stop at just one!

We'll wait until Tayamni finishes all her trainings and passes her therapy certifications ... when Roger slows down and Tayamni could use another exercise partner. Yes, I'm doing this all for Roger -------- :D teee heee

Edited by Denise E.

Thanks for the thoughtful heartfelt answer Sherab...I love how so many posters here not only convey useful and funny information, but are so...elegant...with their words. We were considering a GSD before we decided on the AID, and somehow yours seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly so I appreciate the sharing. GSD's seem to me to to be, amongst the large wolf-like breeds, to be the best family dogs (compared to huskies, akitas, etc). I'm very attracted to a more natural and 'wild' looking dog...

"AIDs are much more multi purpose. Very sweet, constantly entertaining, mischievous, curious and openly receptive (at least mine are) to people and other animals. Almost no one is afraid of them, infact most people and animals seem drawn to them. They are not particularly brave and do not have a drive that can be set off. They hunt to eat. The can dig for a chimpunk for 2 hours solid but they aren't going to hang out "supervising" you for 2 hours while you split wood. Every day they ask - what adventure are you taking me on? and is it play time? bed time is for sleeping"

I am just yessing to all of this! Sita is so curious and open, and most people and other creatures really are magnetized to her. Our cat lets her get close, surprisingly...this has not been the case with our other two dogs. The best part of a walk, for her, is meeting other people and dogs...she gets whiny when that doesn't happen. And everyday, yes indeed, she does ask for an adventure! The quest to keep things fun for her makes things more fun and interesting for me, and the joy that lights up her baby blues when fun happens makes my heart melt. And she is a great sleeper in the crate or in our bed, either way not stirring or making a peep until we do. So cool

• Like 2

Awesome Sri. I am sure you made the best choice for your family and life style. It is very hard to pick a good GSD. Harder than it was 10 & 20 years ago. Also people say they are not afraid but there is something about the size and reputation that causes almost everyone to actually be fearful. The american lines are often hopelessly unhealthy and the working lines are often too sharp in temperament to make a good family/ go anywhere dog. I want another one, I live in the woods and having a good guard dog is a comfort - but I dread trying to find a good one. My friend got one, or rather her "husband brought one home"- the kids loved the big goofy thing but she was really on the fence and sliding towards getting rid of it. I told her to send it away to board and train. She sent it away for 8 weeks (!) and told me it was the best advice she got and that he was now "a joy" to be around. Today with our overly dog litigious society it's really a must to have a very very well trained GSD.

• Like 2

Aww Denise I had to smile when I read your post. Boone has been doing ALL of those things for a couple weeks now. Big Sigh... so how are we dealing with them.

Since he isn't having accidents in the house, we've allowed him access to the livingroom. That's when he discovered he likes the couch. It's funny but he acts like he BELONGS on the couch. Totally innocent and big eyed when we catch him up there. Who me??? He KNOWS he's not allowed up there. A squirt set on stream from the water bottle will send him leaping off the couch but as luck would have it, I rarely have it at hand when I catch him up there. Instead I use my deep outraged voice. In a very deep and loud voice I tell him, "Get off MY couch!!" He always jumps off. We laugh about it because when Nick tells him to get off he just sits there looking all sweet and innocent. When I yell at him in my mean voice he knows I mean business and high tails it off the couch.

Boone started doing the leg wrap thing a month or so ago. It's mostly outside when we go for potty breaks. It seems like it's an affectionate thing because he always has tail going and ears low. I tell him "off" and never pet or talk to him until "all four are on the floor". It has lessened and he rarely does it now.

Boone also discovered the leap about that same time. He is so darn pleased with himself because he can leap up on me or anything. He seems to enjoy practicing it but with constant and firm reprimands he isn't leaping up on me now. He also discovered that he is now tall enough to reach counters and tabletops. I haven't solved that problem yet. Yesterday he stole a package of corn tortillas off the kitchen counter when I had my back turned. I have had to constantly survey the kitchen and make sure there is nothing near the edges. I know he's only going to get taller so I want to nip this problem pretty quick! Open to any suggestions!!

My daughters cat taught him how to circumvent the gates I made for our game room. He also learned to open the doors between the kitchen and game room. He has totally destoryed a couple plants in there and chewed on a few of Nick's Red Wings things. I now have to wrap a bungee cord around the doorknobs. I have to keep a baby gate up to prevent him for getting through the other way. These dogs are so darn smart!

• Like 1

Doc - (I still enjoy typing that nickname we gave you .... :P It does fit! ....)

Tayamni has been in puppy training class and we are doing a "leave it" training - where you put something good and good smelling in one hand and a regular treat in the other (close both hands),

then: let puppy smell the closed hands - of course will try to go for stronger smelling treat - use same treat / hand for the "leave it" (the one puppy goes after) -

as soon as puppies head move away, mark "Yes" then give treat from other hand.

Then the next step: dropping the "good" treat on the floor and step on it - when puppy goes for it - again "leave it" and mark "yes and treat something else as soon as puppy moves away.

Here the kicker though: Tayamni after two "leave it's" the first way and once with my stepping on the treat -

Stopping going for something she knew she wasn't going to get!!!!!!!!! (smart little cookie :rolleyes: )

So I have to train a little more dangerously.

I know if she gets the "forbidden" treat - I've lost a lot of ground - but this is the only way it's worked.

I drop and step once saying leave it - IF she goes toward my foot. Sometimes she looks at me as if I'm dumb.

So, Mostly I have to drop the treat in between us and bark "Leave it!" and she freezes and backs up and I mark yes - good girl and give her a treat. Sometimes I give her the same type of treat - just not the one I had her leave.

I pick that up and we go again - to training.

I also do this with the wet cat food when the cats are eating.

On the jumping up / paws up on counters, table, stove, thighs (people), doors, etc ....... I have found that the two commands work best for me: LEAVE IT! to get her to stop and then OFF to get her down.

Otherwise OFF seems to mean (to her) - let me finish my mission and then get my paws off! She take OFF as more of a 'take your time' command. We are working on that.

I work with the "four on the floor" to give attention, also!

So funny...these dogs are too smart for their own good. We have also found that Boone will usually quickly figure out what we want from him and then skip ahead to that part and expect a treat. He is constantly thinking and anticipating. He is doing the type of thing you described. Nick started with his food...he makes him sit, stay and wait for the "Ok" command before he goes for it. He started working with his favorite treat and again having him sit & stay, then put the treat on the floor in front of him and he must wait for the "ok" command. He can consistently do it when he wants to. Some days he doesn't feel like waiting lol

We start puppy classes on the 11th and honestly Nick has already taught him all they'll work on in the class. We'll go for the socialization but I have a feeling it will be like some others have experienced. He is too smart and will be totally bored with the pace of the class...and we already know he's the class clown (or "extremely social" as they call it)

Today's frustration: It is very cold and rainy here in Northern Texas. Boone doesn't like getting his feet wet. When I open the door he lays down, rolls on his back and refuses to move. I have tried going out with him but he refuses to go. I have had to carry him out to the yard. Today he actually pooped in the house twice. He has NEVER done this before. Not even when we first brought him home. Of course I made a big deal about how unhappy I was and put him outside in the rain while I cleaned it up. I know it's because he doesn't want to go out but has anyone else experienced this and how do you deal with it?

Only once with poop - but pee a few times. Did the same thing only the last time I scruffed her as brought her to the door and sent her outside. No emotion, just the action. Let her back in when I had cleaned up and acted as if nothing had happened. -_-

When it's raining I use a leash to get her to the door. Yes I go outside with her, too.

Don't know what to tell you about the lying down - Tayamni loves the cool weather.

HOPEFULLY Some one else that has had a couple of these pups can help with that.

Tayamni does not like pouring rain - even though it's not a real cold rain down here.

She will hide under the eves where it's drier and then has peed as soon as coming in the house.

She likes to be out in misting rain and also doesn't mind splashing through puddles on our leash walks.

Ohhh, and she still routinely pees on the sidewalk and sometimes poops on it now near the front gate.

Negotiations again ...... I figure better to be outside on the sidewalk than INSIDE the house! I also think she is marking.

I pour a lot of boiling water on the side walk nowadays to clean remnants and stains off!

I found a puddle in front of her crate (as she has most of the house privileges now) but don't know if she did it - it wasn't the cats I know that.

I few days later she outgrew her wire crate - again - and I had to change it with Roger's crate - Tayamni is bigger than him now.

Well she thought she outgrew it - and that is the important thing to her ..... (and my sanity ;))

Funny, she still squeezes into her shipping crate (I ask her to get in it when we travel in the car - walk her over to car - she scoots into crate and I put crate into car). Doesn't mind that a bit! ^_^

I don't think Boone could manage to get into his shipping crate even he wanted to! Tayamni must be more petite than our chunk lol Bonne has always done the lay down and go limp thing...he started that way back when we brought him home and he wanted to be outside all the time. I've tried putting the leash on him and tugging, a leash "pop", treat bribes...but he'll lay there and just let you drag him across the floor (which obviously I wouldn't do) If I pick him up and try to stand him on his feet he flops over on his back. Sigh.....Hoping the rain goes away quickly!! Oh and he also does the dash around the eaves once I finally get him outside in the rain. He'll go way out of his way to stay dry!

I don't know if this will get him to stay up, here's something to try - Tayamni lies down a lot in training class when she is supposed to be sitting.

The trainer showed me how to nudge my toe (with my shoe) under her just behind her elbows and it somehow gets her to sit up.

I didn't think it would work because she lays on my feet but it does! I also point my foot a little pick the heel up, about an inch of the ground, if the first gentle budge doesn't do it.

I use training treats a lot and now that she's a little older she sometimes wants/needs something more smelly (appetizing to her). I have bought some Salmon jerky and I break it into bits - to use as treats - sometimes I use a bigger piece for the concentrated small and still give her the smaller pieces while training.