Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Mmmfmmnmmnfmmn[CRACK!]fmnnmfmmfffmfmmnm....

mmmchicken.jpg

: mmfmfmmfmmghmmgm

mmmchicken2.jpg

Kibble? Hmm...

mmmchicken3.jpg

....mmfmfmmgmhmgmgmhhghmmfmffm

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 1

Love the second pic. She's really digging in :)

whole chick legs or just the knuckle bones with meat?

Whole leg, frozen to kills little nasties and then thawed and shredded somewhat to assist the process....

Yum, lucky girl!

I switched Tamarack to 100% raw about 4 months ago after being on 1/2 kibble 1/2 raw for 2. Poops are definitely much smaller than they are on kibble, and they will vary a great deal in consistency and color depending on what the dog ate the day prior. The key to an appropriate raw diet is to feed as much variety (in both protein source and 'parts' of an animal) as you can get a hold of, and over time the diet should balance out to 80% meat, 10% edible bone (think poultry, beef bones are too hard and can crack teeth), 5% liver, and 5% various other organ meats.

I have no experience feeding a puppy raw, but from everything I have read it is much easier to start them young. Just start on a single protein (chicken is generally used at first) for about a week until stools are solid, and then gradually add proteins from there. Bone in chicken breasts are supposed to work really well for puppies.

This group is where I am getting most of my information: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rawfeeding/info
You have to sign up to be a member, but there are a lot of people on there who have been feeding this way for 20+ years and are willing to answer any questions, so it's a valuable resource.

• Like 1

Waki and Cake have been on raw since day 1 with us. We've been doing raw since Shiva was a pup 11 years ago. Kibble poops really stink compared to raw. We use a meat grinder so everything is minced, bones included and easy to mix with an oat base https://www.sojos.com/. Poops are fairly consistent for us. Darker for beef/ bison, and "wild caught", lighter for chicken and organs. We give them chicken drum sticks or ox tail weekly for teeth cleaning. The straight bone in meat will cause small, hard poops so it's good for loose stool tightening and best not to over do it. Waki supplements with wild caught from the pasture at least weekly. Nothing beats a good bone toothbrush :). Last week he was just walking through the grass, grazing on grass hoppers. Watch the added hormone content in meat. Organic is better or local farmer's market small family farm and I like chicken parts because no hormones.

• Like 1

Oh, I second that about local farms! I got an entire goat from one farm (it was elderly and had died in an accident) and a chicken that died of a heart attack from another - both free.

If I could manage it I'd feed 'whole prey' all the time... it's really fascinating to watch them work at their food.

Case in point (not very graphic; video cut out before he got to the 'good stuff'):

One extra tidbit about feeding pups: I wouldn't overdo it with feeding bone - excess calcium levels will cause faster bone growth and result in really dramatic growth spurts, which can be detrimental to bone development. AIdogs have fast enough puppy-growth as it is without the extra fuel! ;)
  • Like 1

Next time I need a chicken plucked I know who to call! LOL!

I'm not sure I could share any Tatanka I get to eat. Although I only get from stores or shipped in, packed in ice and that's expensive. South Florda .........

We only have them for eggs so far. This is our first year. Even though we don't treat them like pets, I don't think either one of us could kill one. Ayita likes to visit with them.

When I move next year I plan to begin the process of researching raising chickens for fun and profit. My friend Larry owns a property in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana and he has a friend that keeps a chicken coop on their property. Stopped by for an early morning hike last summer and we had some fresh eggs for breakfast! OMG! I've never had eggs like that!

Now Julie is concerned that we'll be living life like a Hee Haw rerun!!

We're headed out to Colorado in the fall of '15! Can't wait!

• Like 1

that's the plan!!

Chickens are run of the mill in the Pacific Northwest - my neighbor has some and we get a dozen eggs a week from her. You can have them in the city, you don't even need a rooster unless you want more chickens. I would hesitate before I asked my dog to guard the thing she eats, but I'm sure it's possible.

Chickens ..... I would hesitate before I asked my dog to guard the thing she eats, but I'm sure it's possible.

We had a hunting dog (NON AID) who had prey instinct with cats until I brought an injured kitten into the house. She did want to get at it at first but after a few weeks she realized it was part of the family and we never had a problem with new family cats.

She was trained not to eat the things she hunted - but I watched her flush out and kill a songbird in our yard. When she released it, it didn't have any blood leaking, she had killed it without putting a tooth into it at all. I was pretty DARN amazed!

Is Lili eating whole prey? If just store bought raw it might be easier - "you protect the live stuff and I'll keep giving you the stuff without feathers, OK?"

I was going to say you could let her have fun with the older laying hens, but then she might not check ID's if some younger one's get outside the fence!

That bit about the chicken guarding dog was tonge in cheek.

C I think we could be in for another cold one. Shot these today with my iphone, all different trees and there are many more to choose from.

earlyfol2.jpg

jultober2.jpg

jultober3.jpg

jultober4.jpg

jultober6.jpg

Jultober7.jpg

The other day I went down in the very small meadow to play ball with the dogs. My three cats arrived, and we found the hens were free ranging in the meadow as well. Chucked the ball in the middle of the hens (by mistake)...no flapping....Two Step ran through the hens to fetch the ball....no flapping. Cats on side lines watching. When I turned around after chucking the ball to Tolinka, Two Step was laying down with his ball, one of the cats was laying with him, and the unflappable hens....they had surrounded Two Step as they acted as if they were on the meadow alone scratching, finding worms and taking dust baths.....It was a beautiful sight. I have to say that I knew everyone was safe (or I wouldn't have done this). The dogs know that the hens are part of the family, have never chased them, have been in the hen house with the hens with no problem, and have helped me many times, herd the hens back into the hen house in the afternoons. They are truly amazing dogs.

You are going to have so much fun China. Colorado is a beautiful place. And you are right, there is nothing better than fresh eggs from your hens.

By the way, anyone out there with a rooster and hens...have you ever known a rooster that preens / groom his hens? I found "The General," my rooster doing this to one of my hens the other day. I have never ever heard of this before......and didn't know roosters did this.

• Like 3