Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Ai Dogs In Colorado Springs?

I have a 4 year old (this summer) AI dog; he's a good dog, but I've finally realized we're just not compatible. I'd like to give him to a good family with lots of space and energy to keep up. I thought I saw in the past a forum on AI dog owners by area, or maybe an AI dog rescue or something like that? It's been a long time. I'm in Colorado Springs; can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Edited by Cheese

Hi Cheese,

I am really sorry to hear that. In the American Indian Dog contract you signed with Kim LaFlame it probably had a promise to send the dog back to Kim and work with Kim to re-home. Mine did. Kim has a waiting list of people and believe it or not some folks would prefer an older dog (puppies are a LOT of work). Trust me this is superior to a rescue because Kim has a list of potentially interested, prescreened people and a network. Rescues are essentially message boards, no wait list of interested people, just a beacon for people interested in the breed. If you recall when you did your research, this is a rare breed (one breeder). Any rescue in your area would be for NAIDs. Those are a whole different animal so the description of the dog breed for perspective owners would be inaccurate and could cause a miss match of expectations.

I would start by posting a picture of your dog here for perspective owners to view and by contacting Kim LaFlame

laflamme@earthlink.net (there's a phone number on the web site also). I'd call and send a follow up email with a photo. There were some dogs that were placed quite quickly last year. One was an older puppy (allergy issue) and two were from an unfortunate family situation (financial). A blurb about your dog's personality would be helpful (for example likes peanut butter, cats and digs holes).
Hope that helps.

My wife's brother lives in the springs...off of interquest parkway and I25. I've sent out the word in that area pending Kim's decision.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to dig up the contract from the file to review. I think matching Bandit (yes, Sherab, that's us…) to someone prescreened would be great. Bandit's got many good qualities and enjoys life, so I want to make sure he's well taken care of in his next life. I'll post some pictures and description soon.

• Like 2

Cheese, sounds good. The 2 cases I saw the people held on to their dog and when the new family was found the transportation was arranged vs sending back to Kim's but if the situation were better for everyone I'm sure you could send Bandit back to his original home for a spell. Anyhow do call Kim. It sounds like Chinatola is interested in your dog (see the post just above yours) and he is on the wait list and he had family in your town.

BTW if you scroll up and where it sais "search" in the upper right corner put "Chinatola" in the box and then click on "this topic" and change that to Forums you can read about Chinatola and his dog Lili and family. It sounds to me as if Chinatola is making an offer of a home and I can say from the posts he's made that if my pups needed a Godfather and Godmother he'd be at the top of the list. Also there is an email function on the Forum. You can reach out to each other via that for private conversation about fit and family. Best of luck and keep us posted. We all care.

• Like 1

Cheese,

I sent a note to my brother in law in the Springs and my niece posted the request on Facebook. A gentleman named Sam Jurekovic responded and is interested in the dog.

Some questions:

Does he shed much? Vaccinations? Registered? Etc? Interesting quirks? Cost involved in adopting if any? Time frame you are needing to pass him along?

I'll private message you with his contact info.

Edited by Chinatola

It sounds like Chinatola is interested in your dog (see the post just above yours) and he is on the wait list and he had family in your town.

If only that were the case Sherab...but we're going to wait for the puppy. My Niece posted the story up on Facebook and a friend responded to the offer so I'm acting as intermediary at this point.

If we hadn't already secured our place in the mystery line I might consider taking Bandit in...but Lili needs a little one to raise so she can share tales (tails?) with Waki over coffee & donuts! LOL

And by the way, thanks so much for the kind words about being Godfather and all. I've made Sam and offer he can't refuse! :rolleyes:

Edited by Chinatola

Sherab, you are correct. All dogs must be returned to Kim if they don't work out with the family they were placed with. As owners, we cannot replace the dog. Best advise as was given, get ahold of Kim as soon as possible. As Sherab said, there are many people that prefer older dogs and Kim has to re-evaluate the pups before he places them someplace else!

Yes! Please! Do contact Kim. He may go along with your choices, but he may have another alternative.

You did sign a contract that stated you would return the dog to Kim, if you could no longer care for it. I hope you will honor this.

We take care of our dogs. All of them. But Chinatola, and all of you, allow Kim to orchestrate. It is extremely important to him to follow through in cases like this.

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes things just don't work out. We have had excellent success in re-homing our dogs.

Understood....just trying to help. It's out of our hands.

Actually this is one of the things that really resonated with me when I was looking at the breed. Life has unpredictability and anyone can get "run over by the beer truck" at any time. We don't have kids and our relatives are too old or otherwise not dog suitable. It's a comfort to know that if anything does happen Cake and Waki will have a safety net of caring stewards. All I have to do is put instructions in my Will and a little financial cushion. Something to think about but not dwell on.

• Like 2

Chinatola, your help is much appreciated. Kim will look forward to hearing from you.

• Like 1

I'm not contacting Kim as I do not have the dog and nor have a clue what the details are. I think Cheese needs to contact Kim. I reached out to my network in Colorado Springs and I found Sam, a friend of the family who is interested in the dog. I gave Cheese Sam's contact info but I don't know if they've made contact.

That's what I know....

Good deal....please check back and let us know how this turns out!