Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Good Bye Ida Linda

didjacallme.jpg

She misses her sister.

She was a master of stealth

they can't see me.jpg

A black belt in camouflage

still can't see me.jpg

Only revealing her presence when she deemed it necessary.

here I am.jpg

Did someone say 'cookies?

Ida & Lili.jpg

Edited by Chinatola
  • Like 1

Love the peek a boo curtain.

It's easier if we have time to say good by isn't it.

I'm doing a practice for Miss Tara since she's been slowly withdrawing from our world since summer. Amitaba Buddha is present as glorious radiant light above her head. Love and compassion in the form of energy stream from Amitaba into Tara purifying her. She turns to pure light and shoots up into Amitaba like a child running to it's mother. The lights merge and are indistinguishable. Anyone can do this practice as long as the form of God or Mary or Saint they most relate to is present as radiant light. This can be done before, during and after death.

• Like 1

She passed peacefully with her head in my hands and her heart firmly entrenched in mine.

Excruciatingly beautiful words.

And then, "Master of stealth",...Hahaha.

Thanks Allison. I couldn't come up with the words when I posted about her passing...I struggled mightily for a long time. Then, out of the blue, they just came to me and felt right. I thought that maybe they were a little corny but then realized that it didn't matter. What mattered was that I was there.

Ida was certainly one of those girls who thought that she couldn't be seen if she hid her face. She did it all the time and it was very endearing.

@Joyous: That close relationship was a very long time coming. Ida wasn't the most friendly animal in the world. In fact she was downright difficult with other animals. We feel that this was manifested by fear of the unknown and separation anxiety. Our theory is that she was taken from her pack a little too early and never got over the separation anxiety that came from that plus that contributed to a generally fearful approach to life. Couple this opinion with the fact that we were not the most well versed dog psychology people in the world at the time in which she came into our lives and our mistakes with her made the situation worse perhaps? I don't know but I still feel very guilty about that dog and her temperament.

It was really sad actually because I was the only one that could get close to her on a regular basis but even then I was still grumbled at when I got too close (hugs on the floor...etc.)...she just never 'fully' opened up. In the last year of her life she had lightened up considerably and that is directly attributable to wondermutt extraordinaire: Liliko'i Pineki. She was the only animal able to get her to play that way. Ever. Ida's older step sister Elsy, who passed in July '11, never got that close. These dogs are magic, truly.

@Sherab: Did you catch the film about George Harrison's life? I think maybe it was a Scorsese film but it chronicled his life and was a wonderful Biopic (I'm a Beatles fan so it's not that much of a stretch for me). The story his wife of 30+ years relates about his passing is very reminiscent of your words above. Very cool. You are a wonderful Alpha Model and Miss Tara is a fortunate pup.

• Like 1

No C, I'll have to look for that. Funny I've had this George Harrison song in my head all afternoon and thought about the Beatles not doing a reunion before he passed and I don't typically think about them. Must be the "one taste telephone". You know, you pushed it out there and I downloaded something of your thoughts through the one taste of intelligent consciousness we all share. It's also how the form of Phowa I mentioned works in some respects. You reach out with your heart connection to the one you love, the essence of which you know so well through the one taste telephone and help them into the direction of the great perfection.

So how do you get failure out slowly but surely transforming an insecure mind into one that could accept unconditional love? So it took a life time and the right stew of sentient beings to finally accomplish it but you did give her that gift and that lesson. No one else orchestrated it.

"I don't ask for much, I only want your trust
And you know it don't come easy
And this love of mine keeps growing all the time
Open up your heart, let's come together
Use a little luck, and we will make it work out better

Got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues
You don't have to shout or leap about
You can even play them easy
Please remember peace is how we make it
Here withing your reach, is your freedom to take it

I don't ask for much, I only want your trust
(de de de) growing all the time
And you know it don't come easy"

Read more: George Harrison - It Don't Come Easy Lyrics | MetroLyrics

"

Chinatola,

I didn't have the chance to know your departed, but I wholeheartedly agree with Sherab. I have had three dogs so far as an adult, and one truth remains self-evident: each dog teaches me something I didn't know before. And I would go so far as to say that each of our dogs come into our lives at specific times just for that reason. You were to learn from her as she was to learn from you. It seems to me that she was the perfect dog for you at that time...and you: her perfect owner. But for the learning, there would be hardly any point to living on Earth at all. So you say that you weren't a "perfect" dog psychologist when you got her. Well, no one is. Don't look at one piece of your history with her...look at the entire dance. And don't let guilt kick you when you're down. Know that she's smiling at you from somewhere...eager to surprise you with a new set of clothes and a new lesson to learn together. :)

Edited by Joyous1
  • Like 1

Joy, thanks so much for your kind words. I know that sometimes I'm hard on myself for my 'perceived' lack of _______ (it's a human condition afterall) but I do agree with your insight as well. Perhaps what I should have said was that I was not well versed in 'Dog' when she came into our lives but we both learned how to communicate with one another over time and we both benefitted from our time together.

You're a great group of people you 'Boarders'! Thank you for shedding light on different facets of this experience which has helped me cope better than any previous pet loss experience that I've had.

• 3 weeks later...

Miss Tara left us shortly after 11 am on this lovely spring like day. She did quite well up until the last 24 hours when she had lost the ability to support her weight and had some bouts of pain that the meds could not control. Even so she was very calm and made several expressions of happiness, including tummy and her wonderful smile. She participated in morning play (laying in her spot and squeaking her toy - see picture and yes that's Waki's rump accenting the shot).

I am grateful to have had her for a companion. I am happy Cake got a chance to know her and I am glad that for a short while we had the joy of 4 dogs on the land.

MissTara.jpg

I'm so very sorry to hear that. She looks so content in this image and I attribute that contentedness to her living her life with you.

• Like 1

So sorry Sherab.

I am sure she will keep calm vigil in her new life, with Ida and Mina and Gypsy- and all the rest, awaiting their reunion with those of us that are still in this life.

• Like 2

Sharab, I hope Miss Tara's walk over the rainbow bridge was a peaceful journey. What a beautiful spirit she had. I know she will be missed in this life plain and that there are lots of wagging tails greeting her on the other side. My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Like 1

Sherab, I'm so sorry. It's so hard.

We're hearing too many of these stories lately, it must be the increased activity of the forum (at least it feels like there are a lot more people contributing here.)

Chinatola, I agree that beating yourself up over your care of Ida is unwarrented. Every animal has its own challenges and personality, and just like with our children we need to find ways of being with them that suit them. And we can't prepare for that, no matter how hard we try. I feel that one way I can really help my Danza deal with her fears is to just help her handle the emotion - she's calmer about her anxieties. She still has them (I chip away at them but new ones spring up.) One thing you did for Ida was get her a wonderful friend!

• Like 2

Karen I think it is also natural for people to look for a new pup when they see that their old companion is fading from their world or just after the loss. I think that's why so many stories.

It's wonderful to have people in one's life that get it about the loss of a dog.

• Like 1