Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Barking...for Attention?

Just wanted to see how we can help our sweet lil Chataugua not bark/yip at us - in what I am assuming is an attention-getting way. She's such a mellow little pup, but once in a while she'll be chewing away on something...stop, look up at my husband or myself and: "YIP!" - almost out of nowhere. She will also look at us and: "BARK!" or "YIP!" after we've reprimanded her for something...like not chewing on our daughter's toys, jumping up on the couch, etc. I am getting the sense that her barks/yips are either her way of playing/interacting or just her way of saying: "HEY! Play with me now!"

Is this something she'll outgrow? Right now we're consistent with our reprimands: pinch/poke on the cheek, growl - flip her on her back or side until she submits. Sometimes I wonder if she gets confused and thinks we're "playing" with her?? She'll continue to bark/yip afterward...

Any tips/advice are appreciated!!!

There is a phase they go through, but you do need to attend to it.

I did something interesting, I taught my dog to "bark" on command. From there it was an easy step to "no bark". The beauty of it is, we both got what we wanted. My dog got attention from training, and I got a dog whose barking I can control.

I am sure you will get other advice. It is all good and useful.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Allison!! Great advice. We're actually researching which obedience class we'd like to take Chataugua to, so maybe they'll cover that there? She's great on walks - we've been training her in the Cesar Millan style to stay behind. :) I had a feeling this was a passing phase, but completely agree with you that we need to attend to it.

It sounds like she's found a creative way to express herself - I'll bet it's very cute! I wouldn't assume it's a phase.

I have a rule - no loud barking, but dogs are still allowed to 'talk'. My AID is very aware of this rule, and once she's gotten her one or two high-pitched screeches out of the way she settles into a low, back-of-the-throat grumble. I think she's partly complaining about not being able to bark, but that's OK. I trained her to run to me as soon as she's gotten that first bark out, which makes her stop herself. I have to reinforce constantly, because she has a very strong urge to bark at anything alarming. But she is way, way better.

How to you train "No Bark"? Just curious. I want to be able to teach my dogs to bark once and stop, but I'm not sucessful so far. I need advice, as I don't want mine setting a bad example for our AI puppy this Winter.

Karen, I love your rule - we go by that one too! How did you train them to not bark loudly? Barking is Ok - under certain circumstances - but Chataugua cannot bark at myself, my daughter or my husband. Usually, she'll bark at myself and my husband for attention or as a way of back-talking after she's been reprimanded. Once in a GREAT while she'll bark at Josie to play with her. That is SO not Ok with me - it scares Josie and I am not comfortable with her thinking Jos is another pup she can play with. Although 95% of the time she is SO great with our daughter...

NashAsh - I wonder that same thing!! I will let you know what I find out, hoping we can get into this training class this Sunday. :)

Since you mentioned cesar millan.i use his trademark tsst when reprimanding. michi knows the difference between that and shhh for when i want her to stop something vocally. if you look at michi and make wooowoo arf sounds at her she will join in with you and make the most awesome sounds. Catch right now just looks at me funny if i try with her....for now

Oooh, yes good point Dimsum - we use the "tsst" Cesar Millan noise too. Hmmph, I am stumped - it doesn't seem to work? Today we got back from a walk, my daughter and I were playing with Chataugua in the yard. And then, seemingly out of nowhere, Chataugua looks at me: "BARK!" and repeatedly barked at me about 5 or 6 times... Then, in order to correct her I put my daughter down and she barked at her. She got reprimanded for barking at her pack leaders :D, then barked afterward, reprimanded again then quieted down....

I don't really know why she barks sometimes - or if that even really matters?! I REALLY don't like it - and want to end this behavior fast. I need to keep in mind "calm assertive" energy as well, because the loud barking at myself and my daughter changes my energy to frustrated assertive - HA! That doesn't accomplish much.

On the positive side, she's excellent on walks - stays right by my side. She'll need an occasional reminder, but for the most part she's great there.

Kim mentioned to me that she's really sweet and very sensitive - so I don't want to be too harsh with her - but at the same time we have to teach her how to behave so she can be a happy dog!

....... She got reprimanded for barking at her pack leaders :D, then barked afterward, reprimanded again then quieted down....

I don't really know why she barks sometimes - or if that even really matters?! I REALLY don't like it - and want to end this behavior fast. ......

So many reasons a dog can bark, STJ1019!!

Our dogs bark for us and to us but seldom, if ever, at us. Sometimes Draco barks "at" us if he wants to play, but it's more a high-pitched yippy bark that is definitely "Let's play! Let's run!"

Wicca? I don't recall her ever barking "at" us. But, she is our primary barker. Living with a neighborhood street in front and a fenced-in yard but surrounded by a "wild" strip, she has plenty of opportunities to get her bark on.

Sometimes, she's over the back hill howl-barking (her most serious bark) at some owl, raccoon or coyote. We, so far, have found it impossible to stop her from that kind of barking.

So, we went back to work on the "come" command. And, "this way".

As I/we learned from Star, every time you use the Come command, it is always (as much as possible) GOOD for the dog.

So, now, it's not (as loud or louder than the barking we're trying to stop) "Wicca, stop that blankety-blank barking." It is now, "Wicca, come. Wicca, this way." Accompanied with either my loud whistle or the high-pitched dog whistle, she knows she's got a high-level treat waiting for her when she gets to us. At a certain point in the near future we'll switch to always high-level love but with only intermittent high-level treat.

We haven't stopped the barking -- there are just too many opportunities and reasons (and they are, after all, dogs) (amazing dogs, to be sure, but still dogs) but we have significantly reduced the duration. We've been finding this has led to a lowering of length and volume when she's in her living room perch looking over the neighborhood.

I've also been trying a new-ish command and don't know if it's going to do any good but appears to be helping a little is "Listen" My rationale is that if they are barking they are not listening to the latest information. So, together let's listen. For example, we have thunder storms heading our way.

Direct overhead strikes and claps don't bother Draco & Wicca -- it's the distant, rolling thunder that really gets them going. It's distance seems to make it more ominous to them. So, I've already begun this morning, "Ssshhhhhhh. Listen."

Another angle with our dogs though not strictly about barking. Both dogs have made it clear that they read us near perfectly. They know what pleases and annoys. If Draco isn't getting our attention through positive means, he'll go over to our glass table, use his nose to lift the edge of the little decorative metal dish and let it "klank" on the glass. If we don't respond, he'll keep klanking it until we do. All the while looking at us with his own brand of "calm assurance"

Wicca uses her heart-wrenching, soulful whine to get us going.

~~~~

Don't know for sure if any of this applies to your situation but you are not alone working on the barking issues.

Best wishes and keep us informed. (And, the photos make everyone feel better, so as many as you can post, we love it...)

~~~~

I've been wanting to say hello to everyone; welcome the newer forum members; congratulate the new owners; commiserate with the current owners and thank the elders on the forum, in advance, for their sage advice and insight.

Thanks so much Gib for your information and your personal experience - it helps to know what others go through and how they've worked through it. Her barks are always high-pitched, so most often in the "play with me" mode. And, perhaps even after getting reprimanded she just wants to express herself in some way - and even encourage us to continue to play with her?

Her body language is tail-wagging, leaning down on her front paws - the classic play-eliciting pose. This morning while I was feeding my daughter breakfast, Chataugua was playing with a chew toy near my feet. She looked up and did her bark, this time I calmly did the "tsst" with a little poke and she stopped much faster. I'll keep at it!!

Hi STJ1019 – I think we got our pups around the same time… maybe they’re sisters (from the Shappa x Kona II litter)? If so, perhaps it’s a family trait. Our Mesa will occasionally bark at us – that high pitched ‘yip’ you mentioned - and it seems to come out of nowhere. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it is usually directed toward my son.

We assumed (right or wrong) that it was a play request and/or sign of boredom. We have been using a quick “no” to quiet her (Cesar’s “tsst” didn’t work for us either), followed with redirection, usually by running through some of her commands (come, sit, down, stay, etc.). Once she settles down, then she can get more play time.

Having an older AIDog, we know these dogs are incredibly intelligent and inquisitive, so we also picked up the kong wobbler and she absolutely loves it (we’re looking into getting another puzzle toy to keep things interesting). The wobbler makes her earn her meal or treat – keeping her busy and mentally stimulated while giving us time to get other things done. This might have helped cut down on her barking too.

Of course, every dog is different and you have to figure out what works best for yours, but this is what seems to be working for us. Good Luck!

Hi HappyDaze!! Ah, thanks so much for your help!!! I haven't seen the kong wobbler, so I'll look for that. You're right though, when Chataugua is occupied - she's totally quiet. It's seeming like it's coming out of boredom - as in invitation for play or attention.

Great advice, thank you!

Do all puppies have ADHD? It seems so. We're used to that around here, but I'm still a bit nervous about training all members of the family to be consistent with the puppy training. We should start practicing now. I'm so curious to see what ends up working for Chataugua. Adorable picture of the two toddlers, by the way.

Oh thanks NashAsh!!! She is soooooooooo gentle and mindful around babies. She is great - I look after another little guy who just turned a year old and Chataugua minds her manners around the little ones. :) I know what you're saying about consistency, we have had guests over and Chataugua tries to "bend the rules" around them. We've had to tell house guests: "Chataugua is in training" and that means EVERYONE must respect the rules we've set for her. I've explained it to people that it's actually really unfair to the pup if you don't follow the house rules because in the end, she's confused and then has to get scolded. :( As for the little ones - I just have to keep a constant watch and also have eyes in the back of my head most of the time! Chataugua is SO very smart, so she learns quickly. She's also picked up on the fact that I am super protective over these little ones - so she knows I mean business.

We just started our 6 week training/obedience class and got some advice there on the barking for attention. The trainer suggested we either A) Completely ignore her or B) Use whatever correction we've been using (sssh, or tsst with a poke - growl with a poke, etc). We are to completely leave her be and then once she's been silent for a while, 10 mins or so, we can go over to her and play.

The idea is that we play with her on OUR terms, not on hers. As the class progresses I am sure we'll also learn the "speak" command and gather more tips - and I will gladly pass on what we learn! Chataugua is such a dear, sweet and mild pup most of the time though!

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same thing Gib did. I have an especially happy come voice (as opposed to regular), that is extra positive when she comes. She associates it with MORE TREATS! So I used that voice to get her to interrupt herself. Whenever she started barking, I'd say Danza! Come come come!!! (extra happy call). She would fly inside with her head and tail high, ready for her reward. I made extra sure I was rewarding her for coming, not barking. At the same time I taught her the "hush" command, plus she knows "no barking", a command Kim uses and I figured she might actually know already.

It worked. As I said, she interrupts herself unless it is *really* compelling and worthy of a siren, like the bear or the bobcat. If I investigate and find nothing, I know she was barking at a real thing I can't detect, and I tell her it's nothing.... we're safe.... hush" and she stops barking but stays in high alert mode.

It's possible that she will start barking at something just to get a treat. It she does, she don't do it that it often. I'd rather have her think she is occasionally tricking me than have her barking up a storm, so I'll take the trade-off. But I don't think she does it.

Karen

Use whatever correction we've been using (sssh, or tsst with a poke - growl with a poke, etc). We are to completely leave her be and then once she's been silent for a while, 10 mins or so, we can go over to her and play.

The idea is that we play with her on OUR terms, not on hers. As the class progresses I am sure we'll also learn the "speak" command and gather more tips - and I will gladly pass on what we learn! Chataugua is such a dear, sweet and mild pup most of the time though!

I've been following this for a while.. Remember she is a PUPPY, not a Dog. 10 minutes might be a bit much- lol

With my guys- I would have much better luck with a different approach.

Let me tell you a story...

The other day, I was at one of our local dog parks. J&K were chasing the ball and generally having a great time.

I see, coming though the gate, one of those dogs I dread.. Ozzie is nice enough, but he is a JackRussell and a mediocrely behaved one at that.

I understand a lot of his behavior is genetic. They were bred to be tenacious and determined and singleminded for a long time. And this guy has it in spades. He is accompanied by a stooped over frail little old lady who loves him dearly and tries to keep up with him but knows nothing about dog training. It is not his fault.

Now, I know this little guy, will try to steal Jas's favorite ball, so I immediately find one of the leftover park tennis balls for Oz to play with.

I don't mind throwing the ball in turns and Jasper understands the game, and K'ne loves to chase Ozzie.

Ozzie immediately sees that I have a chucker and makes a beeline for me. And begins the unmistakeable "GIMMEE!" bark. Not a play inducing quick bark, the full-lung repetitious bark that- when it comes out of a 6 yr old JR can make your eyes cross in pain. LOL

After I throw the ball a few times for each of them, in turn, I look at the lady- sitting on the picnic bench, about 10 feet away, and make the "Oh gawd, my ears" face. She looks a little chagrined and says "He does that at home too. Drives me nuts. I wish he would stop."

So I offer her a little training advice, along with the dog-psychology behind the whys and hows.

She looks dubious and shakes her head.

...I take that as a challenge. I know I am a relatively decent dog trainer, and it will work to some degree.

"Would you like me to show you how?"

She grins, in a 'yeah-right' sort of way, and says, "I would love that!"

So I begin to teach Ozzie what "SShhhhh" means.

He runs up with the ball, drops it at my feet and begins barking

Ozzie, "YAP YAP YAP YAP"

me, "Ssshh" and I load the ball into my chucker..

Oz, "YAP YAP YAP YAP ..."he pauses for a split second.

And I throw the ball.

rinse repeat

The third time, I make him wait for 2 split seconds..but I am engaging him with active encouragement. My whole focus in on him. He has become my whole world, and all my body language and all the words coming out of my mouth are quietly directed at him in a "Yess! Good Boy!" sort of way.

I see his eyes light up. He Gets it.

And I throw the ball.

He brings it back and barks once.

I say "Sshhh" and he pauses for a good 2 actual seconds, meanwhile I am bent down, quietly cheering him on, and giving him a little pet on the neck.

And I throw the ball.

This game continues for about 20 minutes. (Between throws to Ozzie, I am still throwing to Jasper and cheering his awesome catches as well.) As I slowly raise the bar of expectation by small increments. I don't expect miracles. I am retraining 6 years of behavior here... Ozzie has learned to train his humans to throw the ball when he barks relentlessly. He WANTS me to throw the ball, and I will- when he isn't barking.

By the end Ozzie will consistently bring me the ball, drop it at my feet, and dance on his front feet eagerly- but not bark at all.

His person is totally in shock. She has watched this evolve right before her eyes. Her dog is a new dog.

She looks at me and says, "I never would have believed it, if I hadn't seen it for myself. Will you come home with me?"

• Like 2

I had a friend of ours it total paroxysms of laughter by telling it with full theatrical recount.

^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Great story -thanks so much for sharing!!! :) That is great - glad your hard work & persistence paid off!

Good news first: Chataugua is potty-trained!! YAY! She actually has been for a while now - at least a couple of months I'd say. She only had 3 accidents when we 1st brought her home. She will howl at the door if she rrrrrrrrrrreally has to go.

And the barking has improved A LOT. We did grab the kong wobbler, she loves it! She still chews on the kids' toys - and gets reprimanded for that.

I was out of town for a few days, came home and Chatuagua was THE MOST excited I have EVER seen her when I came back - that warmed my heart. She's soooooooooo loving.

A little funny story to share....The next day I temporarily forgot about her tendency to YIP! out of nowhere. I was tying my daughters shoes when Chatuagua came up and YIPPED!! loudly, which startled me half to death - so I screamed!!! My daughter roared with laughter - then screamed herself! So now if Taugua YIPS!! my daughter, Josie yells: AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! and Taugua feels somewhat outdone. :D Thanks Josie!

love the story,but does anyone have suggestions ,mooka barks at everything the cars going down the street the birds in morning loud fast yip and when told that is enough he seems to turn into a 2 yrs child and

throw himself on the floor and start giving out his deep growl and no matter what we do he will not stop till he is good and ready,we trained our other 2 dogs and 4 cats with a squirt bottle so now always we have to do is put our hands on it and they will stop,but mooka omg he thinks its a game ,i know he is still a pup at 9 months but he is being so stubborn with all of his training

i don't know what to do anymore,even my Czechoslovakian gsd was so much easy to train and he was and still is so head strong,no matter how much he drives me crazy i will not give up on trying things so any help would be great, but on the better side my vet says he is a very healthy 40 lbs smart ass