Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Nova: Dogs Decoded

Anyone watch the NOVA program?

I've got it set to record a replay this coming Saturday on our local PBS.

I found it online (the website said only through July 11th) here: http://video.pbs.org/video/1634377233

I haven't seen the whole thing yet. I'm just at the part where researcher's have found that when we pet our dogs oxytocin (sometimes referred to as the "love hormone") is released into BOTH of our bloodstreams simultaneously!!

I just watched the program. Fascinating scientific studies to confirm that which dog owners have known for years. Humans can accurately interpret the meanings of different dog barks (like a mother human knows from a newborn's cry exactly what it needs). Similarly, dogs can accurately interpret human's moods/emotions. Interesting that hundreds of samples of dog dna were all traced back to gray wolves, not foxes, coyotes, dingoes, etc as the original ancestor.

I'm so glad that dogs are being studied in the fields of cognitive psychology, genetics, and medicine. The Boxer breed's weakness (inbreeding?) helped scientists pinpoint the gene responsible for a specific heart defect; that information is being used to help humans. That's one example how gene mapping with animals can help the bipeds. Fascinating to see the long term genetic study on silver foxes (over 60 years of breeding for either tameness or aggression) and the wealth of information researchers have been able to clearly prove from their results and experiments. The most interesting to me was how quickly the tame silver foxes' physiology changed to be more doglike (shorter tails, shorter muzzles, different color patterns, etc). Excellent, enlightening, research based program.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this Gib....that was reeeeeeally interesting. There is always something being said in a dogs bark and we should listen and acknowledge it, not ignore it.

Thanks for sharing this Gib....that was reeeeeeally interesting. There is always something being said in a dogs bark and we should listen and acknowledge it, not ignore it.

I totally agree..... except for our two neighbor dogs...... They bark for hours without saying anything. Our dogs don't even "hear" them anymore.

Every once in a great while, those dogs "say" something and our dogs will respond, but 99.9% of the time those dogs are hoarse from 100% mindless barking.

They are, perhaps, the exceptions that prove the rule......

I totally agree..... except for our two neighbor dogs...... They bark for hours without saying anything. Our dogs don't even "hear" them anymore.

Every once in a great while, those dogs "say" something and our dogs will respond, but 99.9% of the time those dogs are hoarse from 100% mindless barking.

They are, perhaps, the exceptions that prove the rule......

They are probably saying the same thing over and over again....like a broken record stuck in its groove ...I'm board! I'm board! I'm board! ....it's no wonder your dogs don't respond. It probably drives everyone, including your pups, nuts.....well, with the exception of their owners who ceased to listen along time ago. <_>

They are probably saying the same thing over and over again....like a broken record stuck in its groove ...I'm board! I'm board! I'm board! ....it's no wonder your dogs don't respond. It probably drives everyone, including your pups, nuts.....well, with the exception of their owners who ceased to listen along time ago. <_>

The neighbors would have had to START listening to their dogs to be able to cease listening!! :(

It's been a nearly perfect study in why and how NOT to have dogs.....