Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

My new furry son made it home safe and sound last night. The pictures I had seen prior to seeing him for real does him no justice! He is soo adorable and I can't even take pictures that capture his cuteness. He has this little tuft of hair between his eyes that are pretty unique, like and African Hunting Dog I guess. It looks like someone spiked a tiny little mohawk between his eyes. lol. His name is Eedelut (eh-deh-loot). The two Es at the front doesn't make the regular ee sound as in "sweet" but just makes the "e" sound as in "egg" longer, so you draw out or pronounce the "e" longer. The third and last e in his name is the vowel that is stressed. It is Coeur d'Alene for "dog sitting on it's haunches". I will try to post good pictures as soon as I can. It might take a while because I dont have access to an actual computer too often.

Can't wait to see a picture of him! Love the name...very cool...

Eedelut. Wonderful. Congratulations. Wow did your man drive non - stop? Oh to be 20 again. I had to take a nap over the original description of your trip (ie 10 + hours w/kids in tow). If anything is better than puppies, it's small children with puppies. I'm very happy for you and your family.

Of course I was thinking of you, first thing, but amazed that Sean made that whole trip! Welcome Eedelut!

Always a relief to hear the pups are home, safe and sound.

If I can help with pictures, let me know.

Kim sent this picture:

Cree and Sean Whelshula

Sean with Eedelut:

creesean.jpg

Sean looks rough. lol! Yes, he drove pretty much non stop. He did stop for an hour or two on the way there, but he didn't even sleep. Crazy guy. Here's picture I was able to take with my phone. It's hard to get decent pictures especially since he's extremely curious about the phone so he gets way up close. My 15 month old's new favorite word is doggie. That's also the first really clear word we've heard him say so far. I think our first challenge is going to be setting up boundaries with the kinds of play between the kids and eedelut. He seems smart though so hopefully we'll get it figured out quick.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/423553_10150571993366853_586961852_9047149_639877441_n.jpg

Wow, Eedelut is a great looking AID. He has increddible bright blue eyes. And his ears have already popped up. Terriffic! I also want to see a pic of who owns that cute baby belly in the background too. :) It will be interesting to see how his coat changes as he matures. Have fun! :D

Ooh I'm going to echo everyone else here... stunning pup! Absolutely beautiful coloring and yes you can see his brain working on something :lol:

Is that a birthmark on his leg? How cool if it is!

I absolutely love his name, too. It's a beautiful word and I love how it rolls off the tongue.

Welcome to the wonderful world of AIDog pups. What a sweet, cute pup Eedelut is! Can't wait to see more pictures as he grows--and get ready for the growing because it happens so very fast!

"doggie", how great is that?

Thanks everyone. I'm very pleased with the way he looks, very distinguished. Sean said out of the other dogs there his ears were the most pointy. Kim had initially given Sean a choice between two males but after looking at Sean for a good second he picked up eedelut and handed him to him. lol. Oh yea, interesting bit of info, Sean said that Kim was keeping one of the females and was going to name her Cree.... @ woodrat, I'm not sure if that's a birthmark. I didn't even notice that! I'm so oblivious to stuff. I can't even look and check right now either because I'm at my parents with the boys and Sean stayed home with eedelut to clean and work on potty training with him. It does look like it though, I don't know what else it'd be.

So eedelut is adjusting pretty well so far. He's getting better at not trying to bite the boys when he gets excited and wants to play. My eldest son Tulmeen is really good at the dog whisperer "ts!". lol. Then if eedelut stops or listens he'll say "good job!". Now we just need to figure out this whole house breaking thing. lol. It wouldn't be so bad but it's been really raining the past week and he doesn't like the rain so he has a hard time going outside when it's raining. How long did it take you guys to potty train your puppies?

He also had his first debut at my work. He was very popular. It's funny trying to explain an American Indian Dog to other Indians. lol. They're like "what? why would you pay that much for a rez mutt?" haha. They get it after me explaining it, but it's pretty funny. We have weekly meeting with our last two fluent speaking elders and so they got to see him. They really enjoyed him and said he looked really unique. They are 94 and 88 years old, but it doesn't sound like they remember these kind of dogs growing up. They talk about dogs a lot, but it just sounds like mixed breeds. Felix did say they always had dogs and they were a part of their dependency.

Here's a pic of eedelut's unique hair tuft between his eyes.

eede.jpg

Nkweneem spends more time in eedelut's dog bed than he does. Now eedelut gets pushed out of there. lol.

neem&eede.jpg

This was on our way home from my parents house. eedelut was whimpering around and finally made his way back to Tulmeen and got quiet really fast. lol.

meen&eede.jpg

CFalcon, your last pic of Tulmeen and Eedelut is so peaceful. Looks like those two have a very special bond. :wub:

Oh my. Those pictures of eedelut with the kids are truly special--like the young of anything recognize each other as The Young Ones.

Yeah Tulmeen loved that ride home. After that he wasn't so nervous about eedelut. He was kind of scared of him at first because of his hyperness and trying to jump on them and nip at them a little bit (I think a lot of that was induced by them being so nervous of him though). Nkweneem is kind of mean to eedelut though. If he does give him the time of day it's to take stuff from him and push him away when he gets close to him. Or, unless eedelut is trying to relax or sleep then he'll bug him.

I have found out that alot of Indian do not know this breed My tribe the Sappony's of person county NC when I asked for picture of dog my cuz said we mainly had hound dogs on the nanicoke lenope rez they never heard nor seen these dogs ?? I bring my guys to PowWows any time I can not all allows dogs no matter what kind but they always get big attention and people always want pictures with them so they are like stars for a day and get very tired I lost count of how many pics they had taken the last time. peolple do think they are wolf related my two do look woofish but I correct them except for Malachi's blue eye then they go to husky's geuss this breed was mainly known on the plains area

I suspect it does very much depend on the location of the tribe in relation to who might remember these kinds of dogs. From what I've read, the European settlers loathed Indian dogs and made a point to eradicate as many as possible whenever they had the chance, and many of the ones that weren't killed bred with and were thereby absorbed into European dog strains. If the old dogs were still around to be remembered first-hand by the most recent generations of Indians, Kim wouldn't have to go to such great lengths to track down dogs to use in the breeding program. It's a very sad story to read about.. :(

I've also read accounts that describe several different kinds of Indian dogs, though the coyote (aka 'brush wolf')-like ones often seemed to be mentioned very distinctly.

Here Here I agree its a shame but there are many tribes out there that are not reconized either Im one LOL

Who knows. I'd be willing to bet they have seen some of these dogs, but just thought they were ordinary dogs. You kind of have to ask the right questions to get what you're looking for with our elders. They didn't give a straight answer yes or no whether or not they've seen them. They're probably unsure. For me, it didn't even occur to me that these dogs would still be around. When my friend had told me about them a few years ago I was kind of thrown off too, and I was pretty skeptical about it. But after reading all the information at the songdogs site and the iidoba site I was pretty convinced they are at least the pretty close decendants, which is good enough for me. lol. I kind of want eedelut to be an embassador for his breed in my area. My tribe has the Julyamsh powwow every year in July of course and it's suppose to be the largest outdoor powwow in the pacific nw, and I would like to show him off there and inform people, especially other Indians, about the breed. We'll see how popular he is. lol. That's if I can even go, I'm due July 13th so I might not even be able to go this year to Julyamsh. :(

Anyways, here's some updated pictures of eedelut.

IMG_2458.JPG

He's living up to his name in this pic (dog on his haunches) ;)

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

Thank you for that wonderful tag line, too. I love to see the old languages, and look forward to hearing you speak them, too.

Good luck in July. Hope all goes very smoothly for you.

• 3 weeks later...