Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Dog Bed Recommendations?

I want to replace our old, tired, lumpy, smelly dog beds. One kind of bed we have is really fabulous (Jax and Bones) but the inserts are too big to toss in the wash. Another kind I ordered on sale from Foster and Smith became pancakes after about two years.

Does anyone have a dog bed they love, that has proven itself to last a good while? I can't run to Costco and pick up a couple of cheap ones, since we gave up our membership.

I actually just made a bed for Willow about 2 hours ago! It's cheap, and easy. The one I made is about "XL", and has a cool indian-esque pattern to it. You can make it so the padding is an insert, and put velchro or a zipper on one side of the cover so you can wash it.

With stuffing and fabric, we spent about $20 on it. It's huge!

We got our favorites at our local feed store.

It is sort of a dog-futon. Flat square bag, filled with ground up (1/4-1/2" sized chunks) sneaker soles. It was recycled factory rejects stuff, so no "dirt" on it pre-construction. LOVE them, as they insulate, pad well, and don't flatten. They are also heavy enough that they don't slide around all over the place. And have removable covers. Don't remember the name tho- sorry.

Hey Star, that bed sounds really perfect. I don't like the ones that are filled with fiber stuffing for pups...they chew the bed until that squeeky fiber comes out of the bag, or as you say they go totally flat. I also don't like the ones that have those little white air light balls that are about 1/8th inch in diameter. They fly everywhere if they are let out of the bag. I'll have to ask my feed store if they know the bed of which you speak. I would get one of those in a new york minute. They sound easy to clean, don't go flat, insulate, and if those rubber pieces do come out, they won't float away. Thanks.

I have tried several things for Shunka but he prefers the floor! I have two blankets, wool ones from ambulance use, they don't use them anymore, and he wil sleep on them at camp or at home too, but i must admit at the moment he is curled up on the settee! it is kept covered so no real problem until Steve comes back to see his favourite seat taken up! He didn't use to do it, until we got Holly when Steve came, he brought a settee (sofa) with him that she was used to using , but she preferred mine!

• 1 month later...

I have searched and tried many different beds as Kai and Tiva grew and chewed. I have finally selected K-9 Ballistics. They are not cheap but they last. You can buy the cover and the insert or just the cover. I put an old bed inside a garbage bag and stuffed it into the K-9 cover = clean, durable and easy to maintain through wet weather with mild chewing. They are easy to shake out or hose off but can go into the washer. I board 5-10 dogs on and off and the beds have held up well. The company will also replace the bed in the first 90 days if your dog chews through it.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

http://www.amazon.com/Coolaroo-Large-Steel-Framed-Brunswick-Green/dp/B000P7JKD6

I purchased this for my "Moonshine" and it was great. She didn't take to it till a few days later and then she slept nowhere else. She actually pushed it out of her room to try to get it near the backdoor! I realized she wanted it on the back deck so she could lay outside. The fabric could be easily washed with a hose and dries quickly in the sun after an hour. I just hung it on the fence by the steel frame and then gave it a squirt of febreeze when dried for added freshening. No need to remove the fabric. In the cold weather I just folded an old comforter and lay it on top as a pillow, and washed and dried that when needed. It's great for the older arthritic dogs too so they don't have to struggle getting up and down from the floor. Also the cost is less for the medium size.

We have beds by Kong. We tried several things with Ziva. We had towels, carpet and plush beds. She chewed ALL of them up. The Kong she leaves alone. The pup bit a hole in it though. It has a lifetime guarentee though, so all I need to do is contact Kong and they are supposed to replace it for free.