Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Snow In Washington.

Hooooooooo Raaaaaaa for you. I think you are the only ones on the west coast that are getting water...frozen as it might be. That is BEAUTIFUL! Hope it comes my way in the way of rain! You lucky gal. Oh by the way your home is georgous! :)

Yes! Snow! The boys are loving it. At first Sitka was not too sure (we did not have any last year), but once Coyo started the happy runarounds, there was no stopping them.

How about you Gib? Snow up your way?

That's awesome!

Mostly all we got here was the threat of snow.. :(

Our neighborhood is spray painted white. That's all. But the kids will love it once it is daylight!

I Love your vidieo.

We got a skim of snow yesterday, melted and then last night snowed and froze. Got up this morning and a bit more of the white stuff. I love the snow, wish we had more.

Hawk is a goofy boy when it comes to the white stuff.

Have a good one today and be safe everyone.

L.

My boys love the snow nothing here in my area of pa philly had it but I am 1/2 hr away and nothing just 14 degrees this morning at the doggie park brrrrrrr

Yes! Snow!

How about you Gib? Snow up your way?

We're in the infamous Puget Sound Convergence Zone. (It's Google-able) We probably have 4-6 inches.

More scheduled. We laid up some provisions today and then played.

I tried to get some action snap shots but every time I brought the camera out, they'd stop running around.

D & W Snow 1.jpg

D & W Snow 2.jpg

D & W Snow 3.jpg

D & W Snow 4.jpg

Stay warm everyone.

We're all buttoned up here, waiting for the worst. We'll most likely lose power/water tomorrow, if not today. Bathtubs are filled with water, and jugs, pitchers, pots and pans are full and ready for drinking and cooking. The freezer is full of beans, roasted stuff, etc. We have plenty of toilet paper.

The only thing is, once the trees pull down the power lines it can take days to restore power. A few years ago my street was dark for 9 days; we didn't live here then, but I've heard about it many times. Maybe I should bake some cookies and bread while I still can.

Gawd Gib- Wicca is getting So Big- (even by Draco standards.. lol) They grow up so fast. Lovely pictures :)

Karen- Stay safe, warm and snug. A good idea is line the fridge with water bottles. Keeps water cool, and cold water insulates and keeps fridge cold longer. Hope you have a fireplace, or you are gonna need a couple more dogs... lol

We have curtains across our doorways to create heat zones. Keeps drafts down, and we don't have to close doors, as the kids like to pick rooms to hang out in.

Gawd Gib- Wicca is getting So Big- (even by Draco standards.. lol) They grow up so fast. Lovely pictures :)

Weighed them yesterday morning: Wicca is 39.4 lbs and Draco is 64.4 lbs. (We've told some people that we got 2 1/2 AI dogs for the price of two!! We win/win!!

Star, out of necessity everyone here has a generator, and we put a gas fireplace insert on the main floor, which is the one wired to the generator. We actually use that for our main upstairs heat, since our furnace needs work and we turned it off a few months ago. The biggest inconvenience is the pump for the water goes out. But, we're good for as long as we can stand to not take showers. We even have a neighbor with a Hummer who goes on gas runs, as long as the main road isn't strewn with trees.

We got socked with our first substantial snowfall of the season late last week...when I say substantial it wasn't that much after all...about 4-6" depending on where you were. Not bad at all really. Up until that point we'd enjoyed a very mild winter by comparison to previous years. Usually at this point in the year the temps are in the single digits & we've got over a foot of snow (cumulatively) on the ground. Most of December was in the mid forties! Amazing for Chicago in the winter! Most of last weeks snow melted off over the weekend & yesterday & we got a light dusting earlier this afternoon so I guess winter really is here at last. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

We're all buttoned up here, waiting for the worst. We'll most likely lose power/water tomorrow, if not today. Bathtubs are filled with water, and jugs, pitchers, pots and pans are full and ready for drinking and cooking. The freezer is full of beans, roasted stuff, etc. We have plenty of toilet paper.

The only thing is, once the trees pull down the power lines it can take days to restore power. A few years ago my street was dark for 9 days; we didn't live here then, but I've heard about it many times. Maybe I should bake some cookies and bread while I still can.

Don't forget to do your laundry. Been with out power before too.

Don't forget to do your laundry. Been with out power before too.

I did a load today. And our dinner was all stuff that needed the oven to cook.

Generator *smacks forehead* Of Course!

That is our main gritch with gas fps, no heat when the power is out.

As for water, why not get a mini water-tower? Outside, gravity fed, -yeah, silly idea. lol

At least in this kind of weather, you could jack into a downspout for non-potable water needs. We would always put a small livestock trough at our downspout for watering the garden, etc...

But, good to know you are prepared.

We always have our SCA event gear to fall back on. :)

Generator *smacks forehead* Of Course!

That is our main gritch with gas fps, no heat when the power is out.

As for water, why not get a mini water-tower? Outside, gravity fed, -yeah, silly idea. lol

At least in this kind of weather, you could jack into a downspout for non-potable water needs. We would always put a small livestock trough at our downspout for watering the garden, etc...

But, good to know you are prepared.

We always have our SCA event gear to fall back on. :)

Yep, Hey Star, what if those jacked into water spouts all freeze up.....ice picks could be a laborous tool for a few cups of h20. A blow tourch may melt things a bit...... :ph34r:

Meanwhile here on the centeral coast of California, we are in desperate need of water, not the frozen kind though. I hope this storm comes our way. There is a big maybe for Thursday night....we'll see.

Stay warm and safe everyone....

It is absolutely beautiful. Snowing and snowing. Coyo wolk me up in the middle of the night to let me know it was snowing....thank you. Actually a huge snow! It has not stopped since I awoke, early this morning. Sitka has learned to love it. It is going to be a sledding day.

Judy, you probably laugh at us.

I look at the hundreds of trees around my house with their branches so heavy with snow that they are touching the ground, and I think "Man, any minute now. Enjoy the microwave while you can!" It is really beautiful, though. I love the way a blanket of snow blurs out the details of your familiar environment, making everything seem bigger and closer.

Star, we have three water barrels, but as MM said, frozen water isn't much good. Plus I'm not sure how much snow gets into the downspout. But don't forget, everyone, about the water in your hot water heater. (And Star, our gas fireplace inserts are electricity-free. The thermostat and remote sensors are battery operated. Best home improvement money we've ever spent.)

It snowed through the night, and then began freezing rain not long after dawn. Just right for any number of disasters. Husband said his gloves and jacket were encased in Ice by the time he got to work, but he had even more fun than yesterday, sliding around on his Ural. He's a crazy man...what can I say?

Dogs were not as pleased with the ice cover that they had to break through, and walking gingerly, but still enjoy being outside. I saw Coyo stepping back through the same holes he had made.

I guess if we don't hear from Karen or Gib, we will know they have lost power.

We've got it easy. Just a lot of Rain, flooding, roads with standing water, closed roads/hi-ways, sinkholes :blink: and wind.

Hope those more northerly are faring ok.

Love the recount of Coyo re-using his footprints. :)

Our dogs hated walking in this, too. Even Roscoe, who is normally oblivious, minded the walk and they both wanted to walk behind Doug to use his footprints.

If we lose power for long enough we'll hook up the generator. We only have power in the main living area (kitchen/living/dining, all one room as you might have seen in the video.) This will inconvience the teenager who has colonized the downstairs, as we intended when we bought the house. Otherwise we are cozy and happy but without water.

Glad to hear from you. We were worrying a bit, when you mentioned your tree limbs, already dragging, and that before the ice.

Sorry to hear you are without water. It is supposed to let up through the day, and hopefully that will change by Friday.

Don't eat any yellow snow.

Hey Karen, as you said in an earlier post on this thread:

"Bathtubs are filled with water, and jugs, pitchers, pots and pans are full and ready for drinking and cooking. The freezer is full of beans, roasted stuff, etc. We have plenty of toilet paper."

Sounds like you will be in fine shape for a couple of days anyway. I'm glad to hear you are not out of power. That can be draining on the candle supply. However it is a beautiful sight when they are all lit. I figured out that when you put the lit candles next to the windows, you get twice the light from the bounce off the glass. Plus you get that infinity thing going. It is really beautiful.

Any new "SURVIVE THE STORM RECIEPES" going into the "Daily Grind?"

There is that old saying, "Pink sky in the morning, sailors take warning.....When I awoke this morning this is what I saw from my bedroom window:

storms comingIMG_5303.jpg

When I let the dogs out, I saw that the moon was still out:

storms comingIMG_5305.jpg

If the old saying is true, it looks like we are going to get some rain after all......oh and do we ever need it.

Stay safe Northerners......

Freezing rain has turned nasty.