Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Indroducing Charlie Two Step

What beautiful eyes he has! I loved the pics of him trying to climb the wall - very un-doglike. Cute.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

aaaaaaah at last summer and the sweet smell of the river.

This Holiday season has been so fun and full of new adventures with grand kids on Christmas morning, family, friends, in and out of town, and finally home at last for New Years to spend the last holid

The subject today is GATE LATCHES.   One might ask, "Why do we need to read about gate latches. A gate is a gate, right? It should keep the dog in, right? It doesn't matter which way it swings

Posted Images

Right, Debi. I have puppy fever too and am desperately trying to talk myself out of it. I think Denakka would like a brother (or sister) to run with. He get disappointed at the dog park with all the non-runners show up! Another AIDog would be able to give him a real race--and the kind of exercise he craves! All these new puppy pictures are about to push me over the edge!

Great photos. That wall climbing is so fun.

Right, Debi. I have puppy fever too and am desperately trying to talk myself out of it. I think Denakka would like a brother (or sister) to run with. He get disappointed at the dog park with all the non-runners show up! Another AIDog would be able to give him a real race--and the kind of exercise he craves! All these new puppy pictures are about to push me over the edge!

Getting Two Step was the best thing I have ever done for Tolinka......These two play on a cnstant level and is hystarical to watch. Tolinka has been a marvelous teacher as well. Believe me the second one is a snap because of all of the above.

Great photos. That wall climbing is so fun.

I thought about building an agility course with jumps and tunnels. Then I realized that if I take that "chuck it" and hurl the ball over the roof top of my house, Tolinka will romp the pathways of the garden, dodge the plantings, jump the railroad tie wall, or the low "redwood limbs in basket form" that boarder the pathways and hunt this ball down. Then I go hide, and he finds me with ball in mouth. All I need to build is something for them to climb up and walk across that is higher than a fallen tree trunk and something to crawl through. It seems that my garden is turning into the agility course. They love it. So do I. Now I have to get creative so that it doesn't really look like some sort of dog course but something natural in the garden......any suggestions?

Fallen trees are great at one of the parks we go to there is a hollowed out nature made tree trunk I try to get the dog to go through its all trust or on top of Snake actually went all the way through yeah the also have horse jumps sometime they will cooperate but you can buy agility courses for like 60 bucks for the yard hide and seek got any kids Malachi loves seek and find with kids .

Fallen trees are great at one of the parks we go to there is a hollowed out nature made tree trunk I try to get the dog to go through its all trust or on top of Snake actually went all the way through yeah the also have horse jumps sometime they will cooperate but you can buy agility courses for like 60 bucks for the yard hide and seek got any kids Malachi loves seek and find with kids .

Linda, I like the horse jump idea. I can make one of those. I'll have to look up agility course kits and get some ideas there. Thanks for the great ideas Linda.

A friend of mine uses electric fence post for weave poles. They are made for horse fencing but they are fairly light plastic, have a spiky end that you can push into the ground wherever you might want the and, voila!, you have weave poles. She sets them up when she wants her dogs to practice and then gathers them up and puts them aside. So quick and easy....lots cheaper than the real thing too.

he\'s all grown up IMG_6956.jpg

Two Step is looking so grown up on one hand........

But is still so much a pup on the other.

but still a pup Two Step IMG_6946.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Two Step is absolutely handsome! Those eyes... Oh goodness.

I've been debating on getting a second one, after Willow turns 1, but I'm afraid I'll lose my bond with her to the new pup. Have you noticed any changes between you and Tolinka?

Two Step is absolutely handsome! Those eyes... Oh goodness.

I've been debating on getting a second one, after Willow turns 1, but I'm afraid I'll lose my bond with her to the new pup. Have you noticed any changes between you and Tolinka?

Not really. He definitely has recieved the brunt of the puppy bites, has been a great teacher, and they both play and snuggle like soul mates. This is not to say that there haven't been "back off" comunication between the two, there has. When I first brought Two Step home, I rather ignored him and continued to focus on Tolinka to assure him that this was not a replacement, but an addition. That seemed to work really well. I haven't noticed any jealousy between the two with me. Tolinka and I still have the same bond, and Two Step and I have a totally different bond. Tolinka being rather aloof, strong headed, and more difficult to train. Two Step (very aptly named) is my shadow and stays really close and a snuggler. He is a foodie, and will do anything for it. It seems he would rather be with me than Tolinka on the trails. Of course this could all change, but I kind of doubt it. I waited until Tolinka was two before I got Two Step. Just a bit more mature, bonding a bit more solid, and moving out of puppy hood. My suggestion....DEFINITELY go for it! ;)

Great information. I've wondered the same thing about the bond with the first dog when you get the second. I've had two dogs in the past but always when I had lots of family in the house with me. Now that I live alone, the bonding issue would be more pronounced. Denakka sounds much like Tolinka -- somewhat aloof and independent and definitely not a snuggler so perhaps a two year wait is best for me as well. I sooo want a snuggler--but it's not going to be Denakka! His bond with me is strong but he feels no inclination for lots of touching. These dogs seem to have very definite and clear personalities/opinions. I love that about them..... (Of course, in the dog park when I make over another dog, there is D. poking his head through my legs to make sure everyone knows that I'm really his. And when he's tired or a little unsure, there he is leaning his hip against my knee for that just a bit more reassurance!)

One thing I forgot to mention.......I think it is important to have one on one time with each pup, along with group play of course. It reinforces who's Alpha in their own heads.....that would be me. B)

They are so lovable. I think they show emotion in their own way. Some just happen to shuggle it up like Two Step, others do the hip rub, Tolinka will rub his head and neck on my shoulder or my neck when we play (I'm on all fours). I call that the "Dog Hug."...... or come to me for no reason and lick my hand, nudge my theigh, and various other "shows." Two Step will plop down on my lap or bed, landing partially on me like a sack of cement, :D he also does the "Dog Hug" like Tolinka..... :wub:

I've always thought that two is a good number for any of the critters we've had. Beings just seem to need another kindred. I like a boy - girl pairing. You can lavish as much attention on either w/o upseting the pack order. Three can get tricky, unless there is a large age difference. The reason I think three can be tricky is that you can upset the alpha balance between the same sex dogs with your actions/ attention, so you have to be more careful. That's my 2 cents.

You have good 2 cents......I like your thoughts.

Now here's one for the books. The dogs and I were out in the rain playing ball....rather I was tossing the ball and after retrieving, Tolinka was putting the ball in the pot. In between tosses, Two Step and I were practicing his sit and stays as I walked away, or circled him. He did great. The rain started to come down a bit harder so we came inside to start preparing for dinner. I had just taken out the left over ham from Easter....placed it way back on the counter to bring it to room temp......I walked out to the other room to do something.... and all of a sudden I hear a crash, clatter, clatter, clatter. Two Step had jumped up and some how knocked the platter off the counter. I could mentally see his long legs reach out, and his cat like paws curl around to get ahold. Bits of ham and the bone were everywhere on the kitchen floor. Now I know Two Step's a foodie, that's why I placed the ham as far back and close to the wall on the counter as I could. Now my dinner is totally on the floor. :o

My lesson was this.....I left the ham on the floor, forget the 30 second rule, and said to Two Step in a stern voice NO! ....and left the ham on the floor. <_ took a few steps walking away with my back turned to him then suddenly twirled around see that two step had started move in on the ham and i repeated left floor src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)"> Again repeated my movements, took more steps walking away, swung around and caught him again as he started to move in towards the ham. I repeated NO!......and left the ham on the floor. :mellow: Then I walked out of the room, I could still see him and he could see me. He sat there, his eyes were rivited to me, as pretty as you please and he didn't move a muscle. :) I turned away from him, took a few more steps away and slowly turned facing him. He wanted that ham so badly. He still just sat there. I waited and watched for about 3 minutes, then called him to come to me in the next room. He didn't go after the ham as he walked by as it was still on the floor, although he did hesitate for a split moment to take a look at it, then he came straight to me and sat down and looked straight into my eyes. :D I rewarded him big time. This was a huge lesson for my mischeivious foodie. He eventually didn't go after the juicy ham as it sat on the floor in front of him and he waited patiently for my next request. I have to hand it to Tolinka too. He walked in the kitchen as all of this commotion was going on, sat down to watch the show and then got up and left....the ham was still on the floor .....and he didn't even take so much as a side long glance at it.....He got a big reward too. :wub: I love turning disasters into loving learning experiences. Hopefully it will stick. And yes, the ham is now back on the counter and the floor has been cleaned up, but NOT by the dogs! :lol:

That's an amazing story....not sure I'd be able to remain calm enough to manage that scenario as you did! Bravo!

Yeah- Well Done M!

(well done Tolinka too!)

good learning experience, and well utilized. I/we have done similar things :)

Good story and great training Miz Molly!!

Nessa.....yes to two is all I can say! We got Chhaya as a pup and adopted Koda last year at age 4. (Chhaya was two). I worried about the bond too, but let me assure you that the bond remains and grows.....the love, compassion, etc, grows beyond your wildest imagination....the only thing I made sure of is that they get equal attention when the other is watching! I have to tell you that they do the same with my husband Ken and I.....it truly amazes me....when we play frisbee and both Ken and I are standing side by side....they each bring the frisbee to me then Ken and repeat this over and over. One is just not enough two explodes the heart into unbelievable joy!!!! Go for it!!! :D

A little side note. I had a quick conversation with someone today and when they asked what kind of dog I had and I told them, they of course said they didn't know about that breed. Since we were in a waiting room and time was very limited, I only said that they were a bit different and I guess after having many dogs through my life, I wanted an experience as much as dog. I decided I liked that--if you have an AIDog, you don't just have a dog, you have an experience. Or perhaps I should say "adventure"!

Ha! Good one Chinatola :)

(if you add a syllable- it sounds like something out of Harry Potter- Experienture! lol)

That's an amazing story....not sure I'd be able to remain calm enough to manage that scenario as you did! Bravo!

Oh there was definitely a bit of a rant, but I figured I'd better gain controll of the situation rather than loose it! I win. ;)

And you all are totally right on......it is an

Experiture

and / or an

Experienture! lol)

:lol: Great play on words.

Mmmmm ham. Your foodie is soooo smart. He knew he wasn't supposed to have that ham, unless it met with some sort of accident. Then just maybe....