Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Welcome Chinatola!

Welcome Ann!

I too am a newbie to the forum & have been slowly making my way through the maze of posts, comments, suggestions & information that is presented here. The one thing that does strike me is the 'community' aspect of the boards. There really is a community of people here that truly value not only the dogs but each other as well. You can sense a passion for the animals as well as one another & the feeling a palpable when you read about situations such as Gib's situation with Wicca for example. :rolleyes:

I've been on the waiting list now for a couple of months & can't wait for our pup....but I've learned from the others that good things do come to those that wait so I'm content to do so....content, not happy. We lost our Elsy-girl back in July & there's been a serious hole in our family since her loss. Her sister Ida is a lost soul without Elsy's presence so the sooner we can get her 'new' sister here the better off she'll be I believe. Ida is 9 years old now & has never lived without the presence of another dog in the house so it's been a major adjustment for her.

We haven't had a puppy in the house for 9 years so we're looking forward to that challenge & excitement. We're also happy to have a community from which to draw the wisdom, techniques & skills to help care for & train our new member of the family. I'm looking forward to hearing about your stories & tales from the front too Ann, welcome!

Welcome Chinatola, and I hope your wait will not be too long. Glad you are enjoying the forum. This is a fun and interesting bunch of owners, with lots of ideas and experience.

Welcome Chinatola, and I hope your wait will not be too long. Glad you are enjoying the forum. This is a fun and interesting bunch of owners, with lots of ideas and experience.

You can say that again......Welcome Chinatola.

Welcome Ann!

I too am a newbie to the forum & have been slowly making my way through the maze of posts, comments, suggestions & information that is presented here. The one thing that does strike me is the 'community' aspect of the boards. There really is a community of people here that truly value not only the dogs but each other as well. You can sense a passion for the animals as well as one another & the feeling a palpable when you read about situations such as Gib's situation with Wicca for example. :rolleyes:

I've been on the waiting list now for a couple of months & can't wait for our pup....

You can have a major wonderful experience with almost any breed of dog. Joan and I wanted to maximize our opportunity for an amazing dog and after years of research found these dogs.

And while there are lots of cool dogs, very, very few come with such inside access to both the breeder and the Whole Collective of owners via the forum. The availability of specific knowledge, wisdom and support are priceless.

The more we all participate; the better the forum becomes.

And since Kim keeps supplying amazing dogs to interesting people, I look forward to a long comradeship with you all.

Keep the pics coming -- and not just of the new pups!

Welcome Ann!

I've been on the waiting list now for a couple of months & can't wait for our pup....but I've learned from the others that good things do come to those that wait so I'm content to do so....content, not happy. We lost our Elsy-girl back in July & there's been a serious hole in our family since her loss. Her sister Ida is a lost soul without Elsy's presence so the sooner we can get her 'new' sister here the better off she'll be I believe. Ida is 9 years old now & has never lived without the presence of another dog in the house so it's been a major adjustment for her.

We haven't had a puppy in the house for 9 years so we're looking forward to that challenge & excitement. We're also happy to have a community from which to draw the wisdom, techniques & skills to help care for & train our new member of the family. I'm looking forward to hearing about your stories & tales from the front too Ann, welcome!

Hello and welcome to our journey I know the wait is long but well worth it hang in there the day your pup comes is the lonest wait of all until you have it in your arms :lol:

Thanks everybody!

This will probably sound a little silly but the wait is tempered by the community & keeping track of what the others are posting. It's not easy because we want the pup now but as long as we know that we're moving in that direction it makes life a little easier to put it simply.

In wandering the net I discovered quite a few 'naysayers' out there that claim that this is all a put on but I can't in good faith believe that because there's no way that several hundred people would voluntarily contribute time, wisdom, suggestions, camaraderie & friendship via these forums unless they were being compensated by someone. It's pretty obvious that this is a genuine community & it makes me feel bad for the people that don't dig deeper & settle for what appears to be a genuine breed but in reality may just be a poser.

I've been quite impressed with Kim's site & the enormous wealth of info there. It really is a labor of love for him & that's pretty obvious once you get into the site. It's hard to fake that in my opinion.

I've attached a couple of pictures of my two girls from a few years ago prior to Elsy's passing.

Elsy is the black Lab/Collie mix. Ida is the brown Lab/Shepherd mix.

Elsyida_.jpg

DSC_0060.JPG

Ido.JPG

Elsy.1.jpg

I miss that girl terribly.....she was 13 years & one month when she passed in July. This has been a very tough adjustment on us all so the new pup couldn't get here fast enough in our opinion.

One thing that concerns me is introducing Ida to the new pup. Ida is a bit territorial & can show some aggression when new people or especially if animals come over to the house. I'm a little worried about that.

Hello! There won't be any problem if you let the 'kids' work out the alpha thing. We have had seven of these kids and they can read each other very well. Our oldest female is 14 and rules the roost. The other young ones 'worship' her - they all know their place. It really will be fine. You'll hear growling and snarling but they will do great. It will be good for your other pup to have a young one to keep her young!!

JudyK in northern Michigan

thanks Judy....I sort of knew that to be the case but it's been 9 years after all since we brought a pup into the house &

Elsy was such a special animal....she took to Ida immediately & there was never a problem....well, until Ida grew up & tried to exert her will over Elsy because she was a bit larger.....however, Ida couldn't possibly catch Elsy in the back yard so that even things out pretty well. I'm excited to see how the new one develops the relationship.... :rolleyes:

Hi Chinatola, I know your worries, but I totally agree with Judy.

There won't be any problem if you let the 'kids' work out the alpha thing.

The thing is that you have to trust the dogs.....there might be some snapping and growling, that's their way of communication.....I introduced my AID to an my older boarder collie who is now 15 (Tolinka will be 3 in June, and Bougie still thinks she is a pup at 15). There was a bit of aggression on Bougies part towards Tolinka, and it wasn't pretty at the beginning, mainly because I didn't totally understand and wanted to protect this cute little puppy. No one got hurt. As long as no one was getting hurt, I didn't interfere, thus they figured it out and ended up having "dog respect" for each other. Bougie is almost blind and deaf, and sometimes can be a crotchety old gal. On the other hand, Tolinka being a rambunctious pup, wants to play ALL of the time. I can understand why Bougie would get a bit nippy. But it wasn't long before Tolinka got the picture and started watching out for her when we go on walks..he would always wait for her to catch up, or when we play he would let her go first., he learned to just leave her alone when necessary. I never taught him to do these things, he just did them. They definitely communicate with each other..... It's instinctual with these dogs to listen. Pretty interesting. For us humans, It's all about trusting and learning to read the canine instincts. Sometimes, that can be hard to do, but very rewarding when we do. Welcome to the journey. :rolleyes:

thanks for the insight Mol, it's well received.

I remember when we got Ida she was a little thing....about 8 weeks at the time....Elsy was very matronly...I get the feeling she felt that Ida was her daughter so there was a little bit of snarliness (if that's actually a word) although not too terribly much.....Elsy just loved having someone to play with all the time... but it sort of reversed as Ida got older. Elsy was a AID sized dog, about 38-40 Lbs but Ida is a brute by comparison. She's about 75-80 Lbs. Ida has a minor liver problem which she takes Milk Thistle supplements for as well as medication for her thyroid. She's trimmed up since the Thyroid meds started & is in the low 70's now but she's still a hefty animal. Once she realized that she was the bigger animal she began to challenge for the beta spot (I'm alpha after all....) & she became much more aggressive than she was when she was smaller. You're right though, they did find their happy place after about 6 months or so (which in retrospect wasn't at all difficult or problematic) & Elsy retained dominance outside because she was just so much faster & fleet of foot than Ida is! It was fun to watch the little sh*t torment Ida out in the yard just staying out of reach while they ran like nuts for hours at a time. Ida would eventually collapse & Elsy would walk around her in circles until she got back up to chase her some more.

We're all really excited about the new pup & can't wait. If I had a target date from Kim that might help but I realize that it's impossible so I trudge on... B)

• 4 months later...

I appreciate all of the input and I empathize with the excitement and anticipation of getting a pup. Such a mixed bag of emotions. It's quite obvious that this community is a comprised of people with great love and respect for their animals. Myself and my husband share that commitment with the dogs that comprise our "pack" and can't wait for the newest member to be ready to "come home" I will continue to look at all the insight and info that is offered and hope to get to know many of you during this journey. wishing all a belated but Happy Healthy New Year

Ann, thanks for the post. We've had Lili now for almost two months & it's been a really wild ride. I can say with certainty that these boards are unique in that everyone has a vested interest in the breed & a passion for seeing the dogs well cared for & loved. This is plainly obvious when asking a question. The responses are thoughtful, insightful, respectful & very spot on. If this is your first AID you're in for a treat. If it's not you already know what you're in for....& it's all good!

Welcome!!

I just noticed!!! This forum was started on Lili's actual Birthday!!