Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tamarack

Hello everyone!

It's been several weeks since my last post, which must be a long time by young AIdog standards because there have been some serious changes afoot.

Check out the new colors!

t.jpg

He will be 6 months old on December 23rd, which is mind boggling to me... unbelievable how fast it went. He finished his first puppy class on Monday and I am looking forward to enrolling him in an agility class after the holidays. He still continues to amaze me daily and has not deviated from his well-behaved, charming nature even as he quickly slips into teenagerdom.

Tamarack met his first Newfoundland on Monday. He saw it at a distance, an enormous hulk of black and white fur, and immediately exploded in a mess of panicked alarm barking (the only such barking I have ever witnessed from him), his hackles a little mountain range down his back. Expressed his anal glands too he was that scared :lol:

I swear I could hear his sigh of relief when we got closer and he realized it was not in fact a black and white bear.

It really was a riot, but needless to say he needed a bath after that encounter. :rolleyes:

I hope everyone is doing well, dogs and people alike, and I am looking forward to all the new puppy stories from the newcomers here (welcome, all!) and of course to the pictures that will inevitably follow!

11.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

8.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a gorgeous dog. Thanks for getting a picture of his ruff. I love those.

Funny enough, one of my dogs goes crazy over newfies, too. ...and what is it about Corgies?

You take fabulous photos. Love the little hairs on his chinney chin chin and just under his nose. :rolleyes: The portrait with the tilt to his head....wonderful. And then there is the "lip curl" ..."gonna getcha." Tamarack's photos belong in a contest somewhere. You have a handsome boy there, for sure.

photo contest for sure!!! What a handsome young pup he his....that "lip curl" just made me laugh!!! Keep those photos coming.....sure enjoy them.....

Koda doesn't like my nieces German Shepherd.....he plays rougher....not sure if that the reason or not.

Beautiful beautiful pictures!

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the pics. Beautiful dog (kind of reminds me of Wicca) -- so I'm biased.

That is a gorgeous dog. Thanks for getting a picture of his ruff. I love those.

Funny enough, one of my dogs goes crazy over newfies, too. ...and what is it about Corgies?

On our walks, Wicca is still learning to be calm when approaching other dogs and does pretty well. Except for ..... Corgies! What is it? :rolleyes:

Maybe they smell funny. :lol: They always seem to have been perfumed with bows in their top notches. :rolleyes:

Maybe they smell funny. :lol: They always seem to have been perfumed with bows in their top notches. :lol:

Hahaha! :rolleyes: What looks good to one person may not to another uh?

What a great looking dog! He's a handsome man isn't he? Love that last shot too!

My goodness he is so handsome! He is sooooo much bigger than Willow. She's 24.8lbs as of today, and I thought he was about that two weeks ago?

Great photo's!

I've been enjoying all of your photos on Flickr. I can't believe how many you take of him! (Yes, folks, there are many more photos.)

Keep 'em comin'!

Corgis! Hah, the only Corgi T has met so far was a puppy that was in his first day of puppy class. Incidentally the two got along smashingly as their energy levels were about the same. T plays ROUGH and I haven't seen a dog yet that can outplay him. Would have loved to give him a chance to romp with that newfie though, I have a feeling a dog that size could give him a run for his money LOL.

Karen, it is truly embarrassing how many pictures I take of him. There's no real reason behind it other than that I have always just really enjoyed photographing dogs, and having a puppy that actively works with me as a model is way more encouragement than I need for an already borderline obsessive habit LOL. Having the camera out exposes the way Tamarack's mind works and it's fascinating to watch. It's a really great way to get practice 'capturing' behaviors that I can eventually add commands to, and he's slowly building up a repertoire of behaviors/poses that get him reinforcement. There are a couple poses that are very recurrent in pictures of him - staring intently at something off in the distance, sniffing the breeze with his nose way up in the air - because they have been reinforced before and he cycles through them when I point the camera at him. It's become a bit of a game for him and it keeps us both actively working together during something that could otherwise be immensely boring for him. The best part is that I never ask him to do anything, he just offers it all on his own.

Nessa - how tall is Willow at the shoulder? It seems like Tamarack has steadily maintained a weight that is twice hers since we've gotten them. He had his second Lyme shot at the vet yesterday and weighed in at 37.4 lbs(!). He's 20 inches at the shoulder, which doesn't strike me as outlandishly large, but he's very dense. He weighs more than he looks like he should though; he is very lanky and skinny looking, especially from the top-down.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get a good idea of how big these guys will get once they hit the 6 month mark? I'm so curious to know just how much more growing he's got to do! I suspect he's on the verge of another growth spurt right now as his proportions are starting to look really funky and, well, all wrong LOL.

Thank you for the wonderful comments everyone B)

Well, like so many others here, we're on bed rest (or should I say crate rest?) for a little while. We had a bit of an incident yesterday.

I had T out playing with his golden retriever friends and he learned the hard way that you do not get in the way of a retriever and her ball. T gets bored of chasing the ball because he'd much rather be wrestling, so he'll often stay back with me and watch the others go flying after it. So yesterday he was just standing calmly about 30 ft in front of me watching the dog across the field when I threw the ball past him. Which is just what he was doing when the golden that was behind me took off full speed after it and broadsided him, hard. It was like watching a hummer hit a civic; he smashed into the ground with a startled yelp and she just kept going. By the time he'd gotten to his feet and looped back around behind me, he started coughing. Then he spat up something solid which on closer inspection turned out to be a glob of dark blood. What happened after that was a blur of panicked activity and then I was at the vet holding my breath while she listened to his lungs.

Thankfully it's not as serious as it could have been. None of his ribs are broken, but the trauma to his lungs was nevertheless pretty severe. The bleeding is similar to what one would get with a bad bruise, but because of the location it gets coughed up the trachea instead of getting trapped internally, and luckily it seemed to stop very quickly. The potential danger is that if he has a very small tear in his lung then he is at risk of having air escape into the chest cavity, which would require insertion of a tube to release it. So we are to limit all activity for the next several days to let this thing heal up, which the vet thinks should happen quickly because he is so young. He's still got a slight cough here and there, but otherwise he's back to acting pretty normal, or at least trying to. He was pretty grumpy yesterday when he discovered that I'd blocked off the bed to prevent him from jumping, but he did at least sleep in his crate with no complaint last night even though it's been about 3 wks since he spent the night in there.

Right now I'm just relieved. I don't think I have ever been so scared, and I'm just thankful it's not worse.

I still can't believe how hard she hit him... he's really banged up, little cuts and scrapes everywhere. He must be aching all over, though he'd never show it :(

OH MY GOSH! Please let us know how he is doing. I have seen some of those types of accidents, and one of my pups, ran full bore into a tree. They do repair, thank goodness.

Oh My Word!

I do SO feel for you!

Our best wishes to T-Boy for a simple/speedy recovery!!

Keep us posted- but we will likely assume no news is good news..

**HUG**

Oh my, this is scary. I hope Tamarack recovers quickly. I bet he will always watch to see where that retriever is when the ball is thrown and make sure there is a lot of space between the two. My sons huge lab T boned Tolinka, who flew into the air and did a complete full gainer. Fortunately no one was hurt....But, Now when they play, Tolinka is yards away and ALWAYS knows where Fin is. He won't let that happen again. Happy healing.

Thanks all - I will translate all of your well wishes to T in a language he can better understand, i.e. gentle belly rubs and ear massages.

So far he's being surprisingly well behaved despite the constant confinement. We'll see how long that lasts..

He was so good at the vet yesterday, still all wigglebutted when meeting all the new people, but knew exactly when it was very important that he stand perfectly still and calm for two very long minutes while the vet did her thing. Everyone was very impressed, including myself. And then he laid down, noticed the mud caked onto his rump, and proceeded to gingerly pull it out with his teeth. Priorities, priorities :rolleyes:

miz molly, I do hope you're right and he learns from this. Though it's frustrating because it was in no way his fault, and it blows me away to think that any dog can run 40+ ft straight across an open field without seeing the black dog directly in front of them. It'll be a while before I let him play with these guys again and when we do there will be no ball throwing at all, that's for sure.

Some dogs are SO fixated on their ball/toy, they become blind to all else.

Jas loves his ball, but doesn't fixate to the point of becoming Stupid/blind. LOL

Aww the poor thing and poor you!!! That is an awful feeling when something happens to them! Gut wrenching....almost makes you feel like you could pass out! I'm so glad it wasn't worse!!! I remember the first time Koda and Chhaya collided, they both let out a yelp and turned and looked at each other.....now when they play frisbee they are aware where each other is at all times. I think T will be different and you will see how well he learns from things like that. Keep us posted, will be thinking of you guys!!!

i don't know how I missed your collision story. I can imagine how worried you were! I'm so glad he's OK.

It's funny, but body awareness, and spatial awareness, and where you are in relation to others is something that children acquire very slowly. That's something that took me by surprise with having a kid. I've noticed that some kids do better at it than others, but they all have considerable room for improvement. You'd think that being so connected with your mother, and in the case of dogs being that connected with a whole litter, would make dogs better at it than we are. But, Danza had to learn it, too.

All you have to do is go to a crowded place, like the grocery store the week before Thanksgiving, to see that not everyone really learns that sense. I'm always amazed by the people who will just stand in the middle of the aisle, looking at the selection of coffee, without realizing that a bunch of very annoyed people want them to get out of the way. The lab was probably one of those clueless types.

Is he back to normal yet?

I'm always amazed by the people who will just stand in the middle of the aisle, looking at the selection of coffee, without realizing that a bunch of very annoyed people want them to get out of the way.

Hahahahaha!