Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Introducing Tamarack

Beautiful pictures!!!!! We had about 8 inches in PA....Koda and Chhaya had a blast....they were running and playing so fast I couldn't get any good pictures!!! I'm not good at taking actions shots...I had sooo much fun watching them, I would throw their frisbees and if they didn't catch it they would have to search for it in the snow.....both Koda and Chhaya love the snow that's for sure!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh it is such a joy to watch them in snow (or any time for that matter)!   Ours has all but melted though, so it's back to autumn again for us. Actually it's quite warm and lovely all of a sudden,

Posted Images

Thanks! My guys definitely enjoyed it, but they don't last too long! It's hard work for them to push through that much snow, so it wasn't long before they fell in line behind me walking in my footprints LOL. Yesterday was a blast though, as a large part of the snow had melted and what was left had a hard crust over it that T was *just* light enough to be able to walk on without breaking through. Fun fun fun!

This weather is crazy though, the other day I swear we went through 3 seasons worth of weather in 24 hrs. Only thing we missed was summer!

Beautiful pictures!!!!! We had about 8 inches in PA....Koda and Chhaya had a blast....they were running and playing so fast I couldn't get any good pictures!!! I'm not good at taking actions shots...I had sooo much fun watching them, I would throw their frisbees and if they didn't catch it they would have to search for it in the snow.....both Koda and Chhaya love the snow that's for sure!!!

Wow MAria I had nothing a dusting I feel left out

Thanks! My guys definitely enjoyed it, but they don't last too long! It's hard work for them to push through that much snow, so it wasn't long before they fell in line behind me walking in my footprints LOL. Yesterday was a blast though, as a large part of the snow had melted and what was left had a hard crust over it that T was *just* light enough to be able to walk on without breaking through. Fun fun fun!

This weather is crazy though, the other day I swear we went through 3 seasons worth of weather in 24 hrs. Only thing we missed was summer!

Oh Lordy My guys love the snow they are so funny just like Maria girls WELL Chhaya and Malachi are only one week apart in age and I must say there was something about those litters that year those pups are funny and firecrackers I hate the cold but love to watch the boys enjoy it

Oh it is such a joy to watch them in snow (or any time for that matter)!

Ours has all but melted though, so it's back to autumn again for us. Actually it's quite warm and lovely all of a sudden, so we've been spending a lot of time outdoors whenever we can and enjoying it while it lasts. I have to say, our leaves have been terrible this year, even worse than last year... but when the sun's starting to set and bathes them in golden light, they do start to redeem themselves a little bit.

Does anyone know how to easily photoshop something like a fence out of a background? Usually I can make it 'disappear' simply by using a smaller depth of field when I shoot, but not when he's standing right up against it.

1.jpg2.jpg

5.jpg7.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by woodrat
  • Like 1
Does anyone know how to easily photoshop something like a fence out of a background? Usually I can make it 'disappear' simply by using a smaller depth of field when I shoot, but not when he's standing right up against it.

I think you can get bokah plug-ins and filters for PS - I haven't looked for them, but would bet $100 you can find them. Look on Deviant. You could also desaturate the background a bit - he can look a little like a black hole in the middle of all of that hyper color. You aren't doing any HDR, are you?

If you are lucky enough to have PS 5, they now have a "context aware" fill option that is pure magic.

Woodrat, I really do enjoy your updates and photo's. And as I've said before, you shoot better than most of my photography classmates.

He really does seem to be enjoying it very much! You're such a good mommy!

OK, seeing these gorgeous pictures, I'm starting to think I need a new camera and new camera-person! I KNOW D. is gorgeous too, but the camera-person isn't doing him much justice. Tamarack takes my breath away--love, love the photos.

Karen, I just had to look up what HDR was, LOL. My photoshop and editing skills are pretty basic and a lot of the more advanced techniques and terms go right over my head. I think I redeemed myself a little bit when I realized that I did actually know what HDR was, just not the term for it. It's actually something I probably could really benefit from, but also probably really hard to do with a moving subject. I can get 3 different exposures of him in the same pose, but ear positions, head direction, etc etc are all different in each. And unfortunately he does do the 'black hole' thing quite often, which is very frustrating because it hides all his pretty markings. The lighting has to be just right to show his true colors.. it's surprising sometimes to look at him and realize he's actually not black at all.

12.jpg

I will poke around for filters/plug-ins; I'll probably have to flounder a while to figure out how to get things working the way I want them to. It takes me forever to learn how to use new features in PS :) Haven't heard of context fill, but I'll have to look that up and see if my version has it. Thanks!

Nessa, thank you and yes he really does love it! You can see his the little gears whirring in his head as he tries to remember exactly what he did last time that resulted in a treat. He really likes figuring things out, so I might use this to my advantage and train him some 'positioning' commands just for fun. So far he knows sit, down, stand, and back up, but hasn't advanced to be able to do them from afar yet (other than sit, that one he will do at a distance..sometimes).

miz molly, that lighting that evening was SO golden, it really was beautiful. I've been missing the sunsets lately now that the sun sets earlier while I'm usually at work, so it was really nice to be able to enjoy that one with the dogs.

gramtot, D. is gorgeous and you certainly don't need a new camera to show it! I'm starting to think that it's impossible to take a bad picture of these dogs.

--

Tamarack's classes are going pretty well, despite the fact that he turns into a yap-happy fool sometimes when he can't get to something else that's moving, like, say, another puppy across the room. But that he does remember his training from home and can carry it through to class even with all that distraction is a relief and I've been impressed with how well he's managed at times. He totally aced the down-stay his first day of class, and I was mighty proud B)

The other day I got hooked on watching those training videos from the lady Starghoti posted about a while ago, and was pleased to find that a lot of the puppy exercises she teaches are nearly identical to the ones we've gotten as homework for our class and that a lot of the methodology is the same. I have so many things I want to teach him now, good thing he learns fast LOL.

Karen, I just had to look up what HDR was, LOL. My photoshop and editing skills are pretty basic and a lot of the more advanced techniques and terms go right over my head. I think I redeemed myself a little bit when I realized that I did actually know what HDR was, just not the term for it. It's actually something I probably could really benefit from, but also probably really hard to do with a moving subject.

HDR bugs me. So so many people are doing it now, and it must be very hard to do it well, because so few people do. You could go totally crazy with the color, but your images are very saturated as they are.

If you want to see HDR done right, look at Trey Ratcliff's Burning Man pictures.

http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/Portfolio-The-Best/your-favorites/i-Pdpkkcq/0/XL/Bunny-Japo-600x600.jpg

I had a super hard time picking one to paste here. (And sorry it's a bunny and not a dog, folks.)

His photos are awesome. It sure does take the camera into a whole new dimension. Some of his work is very "painterly." Thanks for sharing that Karen. I still say no matter what tricks are used in taking and processing the shot, the most important thing is to capture the "light." Something I am still working on and find that there are only a few minutes in each day where it is really "perfect." I feel when I master this, I can go on to other methods of capturing the moment. Trey Ratcliff's photos are really amazing.

I landed on his site before when reading about HDR - love his work. Hadn't seen the Burning Man ones though! Truly excellent. (and what a fascinating event too! Every year I see pics from it and am always amazed at the creativity that seemingly abounds there)

I also did see a lot of, uh, lesser quality HDRs floating around the interwebs that were way overdone and looked pretty fake. I get the sense that it's one of those things where subtlety and moderation are key. And I think you're right that it must be pretty tricky too.

I think Trey's photos, are for the most part, a tiny, weenie bit sliding over the fence away from realism. That is what is so intriguing about his work. Upon first glance it's a Wow, what time of day did this happen...ahhhhh but then.......on second glance there is a dance of imagination, color and light.....It's almost believable....It's simply a great visual.....he is very delicate with his tools and artistic eye. Great stuff! Do you suppose Clark Little uses a bit of this too? Clark Little Photography, Hawaii (I hope this works, have never added a link here before). Enjoy.

Do you suppose Clark Little uses a bit of this too? Clark Little Photography, Hawaii . Enjoy.

Those are amazing photographs - very high-speed shots. In order to do true HDR you need multiple exposures of the same image, bracketed with no significant movement in the frame. Moving subjects can be averaged out, but there is no way real HDR technique could be used for these water shots.

There are HDR look-alike processing programs and plug-ins, and he might have used one of them on at least one image. But I think he probably did a lot of saturation and hue adjustments, and selective contrast and exposure bumps.

(For anyone who might not click on the link to see the photos, here is one.

http://www.clarklittlephotography.com/gallery/gallery/MainGallery/flame.jpg

Both he and Trey Ratcliff allow sharing of their work. Ratcliff actually has a really broad license through Creative Commons.

Karen