Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Introducing Tamarack

Well I'm finally getting around to writing this - been meaning to for days, but certain four-leggeds around here are proving to be immensely distracting :)

My little guy flew in to Boston last Wednesday night after a very long day of travel. There was a little snafu with the flights and he ended up coming in on a totally different flight than the one I was told he would be on, and because I was working when he boarded his last flight I didn't find out about that until I checked his tracking status after work and was informed that he would be in Boston in an hour and I was an hour and a half drive away. So the poor guy had to wait in his crate at the cargo area a little longer than was preferable, and I was a nervous wreck by the time I got down there. I will always remember walking into the cargo office and seeing two puppy carriers, and noticing immediately the EARS in one of them! The first thing he did when I put my face up to the carrier to get a good look at him was to reach his little face out and lick my nose. I was expecting him to be so freaked out when I finally got him out of the carrier, especially as we were next to a busy cargo parking lot, but aside from a minor fit over the sensation of being on a leash, he almost immediately began frolicking along with me as I walked him to a patch of grass. Or rather, stumbled over to one, because he felt that the most appropriate way of following me was to weave continually between my legs LOL. We played around in the grass for a while to get some of his energy out before the car ride home, the first half of which he yapped and yowled and cried in his crate. After a while he did settle down and by the second half he was lying quite contentedly chewing on a bone.

I was so impressed with how well he handled his homecoming. I don't think he'd ever seen stairs before, but he followed me right up them. He was fantastic with my older dog - knew exactly how to be respectful, which in turn led Cairo to react very positively with him in turn. He was especially excellent with the cat, which was immensely surprising, but he treated him like a dog - trotted right up, touched noses, and upon sensing that the cat was nervous, simply turned his back and walked away. Perfect!!

I have to say, I am truly impressed by how well behaved he is (for now). Even from the beginning he had relatively few problems fitting right in with our lives. His biggest issue was (and still is) not being able to be with me 100% of the time. If he was crated, or in his ex pen that I've got set up for him in the kitchen so he stays out of trouble when I'm not watching him like a hawk, he would start up the most ear piercing of barks and yips and yaps and yodels and howls. The first night was a little rough as a result, but he's gotten significantly better since. Last night was our first perfectly silent night. He still complains for a while when I put him in his ex pen while I use the computer, but each day the amount of time he barks significantly decreases.

I want to say thank you to every one here for telling me to let Kim choose my pup for me. Though I'm usually the first to say that color is irrelevant, I think if I had been given a choice I might have been more inclined to choose the non-black puppy simply because both my other dog and my cat are both black, and what a mistake that would have been... I had given Kim a fairly specific description of my ideal puppy, knowing full well that there was no way, given the uniqueness of each dog, that he could simply present to me exactly what I wanted. Except that he did. When I reread my 'perfect puppy' blurb this morning I realized it describes Tamarack to a T; he is literally everything I could have hoped for - and more. As Kim had told me on the phone, his "personality is truly exceptional"... He is polite with everyone he meets, absolutely adores physical touch and is incredibly attentive and receptive to my communications with him and from those of other animals. He is not even remotely fearful of new situations, or seemingly anything for that matter. When he displays uncertainty about an object, we stand calmly next to it until he approaches it and learns that it's okay - which he always will do after a hesitant pause.

His canine communication skills are literally better than most adult dogs I know and his ability to diffuse nervous energy in a situation is unbelievable to me, especially for a 10 week old puppy. His automatic reaction to stern correction from either me or Cairo, or any kind of uncertain situation or one with palpable tension, is to lie down immediately. It's as if someone taught him to do this... I don't think I've ever seen another dog do it so reliably. I think from this he has learned that Cairo is much less likely to react negatively to his approach if he does so lying down - so rather than blatantly running up to ask Cairo to play, he will flounce in front of Cairo a few feet away, drop to the ground and give "play?" eyes. Then he'll inch forward one increment, and ask again. If Cairo looks uncomfortable, he'll divert his attention for a moment to grab a stick or a blade of grass to ease the situation, and then he'll inch forward and ask again. Because this has actually worked in enticing Cairo to show him some infinitesimal play behavior, I'm starting to see him apply this tactic elsewhere. Half an hour earlier I took a break from writing this to take Tamarack for a walk around our farm. Not only did he learn the 'fall back' command (to walk either beside or behind me when we're moving - later I'll teach him a command that says it's okay to do so, but I'm all for the 'freedom is earned' mentality) in that one walk, but he also met the barn cats and used this same exact lie down tactic with them. And it worked. If he had run up to them, they would have swatted him (one in fact did give him a small swat at one point for inching too close, which Tamarack did not even react to). Because he stayed calm, practiced regular look aways to diffuse the tension, and stayed lying down, the cats stayed close and he got to have a positive experience with them. He even redirected his attention to me in the middle of all of it when I asked.

I truly do not believe I could have received a more perfect puppy. I'm so ecstatic that he is in my life now and I couldn't be more thankful to Kim for making it so, and thankful for all of you here on this forum for giving me a well rounded view of what I'm in for. I am so ready to take on the terrible twos if it means that the dog that emerges will be anything as wonderful as he is now.

And now for the pictures - I have been taking plenty of them daily to make sure I document these precious puppy days, because I know I will regret it later if I don't. Interestingly I've found that I can noticeably observe changes in his structure and appearance seemingly daily, which are apparent in these photographs.

I don't know how I'm going to narrow these down, because I have hundreds now.. but I'll try not to put *too* many up here ;)

Here he is fresh off the plane - look at those little ear tips not quite up yet!

2011_08_31_23_24_50_846.jpg

His first day home: 'but Mom, this collar is SO ITCHY do I have to wear it??'

I love his eye color. I don't even know what it technically is - amber maybe?

14.jpg

17.jpg

Poor Cairo is not so impressed.

20.jpg

--Day 2--

Ears are up today!

8.jpg

Gib, I've got to agree with you - the subtleties of their markings is truly beautiful. Tamarack is 'black', but he's not. He has so many different tones to his coat, and a very obvious sable marking under certain light. In sunlight, much of his coat glows a deep mahogany. I spend so much time daily marveling at all the little details in his coloration.

7.jpg

I love this photo because it really captures his personality. When he is getting tired and that puppy energy is wearing down, he has the most gentle way about him... when you pick him up he really nestles in against you and is fond of draping his chin over the back of your neck, and when you sit down next to him he slithers into your lap and cuddles right in. This picture was taken when we were outside and he had an enormous grass pen to explore, but instead he wanted to sit in my lap and sniff my shoe.

9.jpg

And even when I stand up, he likes to be near me, preferably touching. Note the paw on my shoe - a habit of his.

15.jpg

This was when he learned that batting at Cairo's face was not an acceptable manner of asking to play LOL. Cairo's not actually making contact, it's just a warning bark - but it certainly is funny looking, and Tamarack got the message!

20.jpg

Here's a sequence that captures that immediate 'down/look away' response he's so good at. Cairo's issuing a warning bark in the second picture, though you'd never know if it wasn't for Tamarack's surprise!!

25.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

And a couple videos of him throwing some minor fits about being alone in his pen. Not exciting, but they show off his 'auto-down' reaction and how responsive he is to correction for chewing on no-no things like the cabinets LOL.

--Day 3--

This is the day my 'puppy' turned into a 'young dog'. I can't even put my finger on quite what the change is, but he's lost the baby look for sure. His pasterns also straightened out nicely this day - til then he had pretty funny looking front legs.

1.jpg

We even have our first stalk! What fascinating behavior to be able to watch..

5.jpg

9.jpg

Not as many photos this day; got caught up in filming the two of them - this is the day Cairo was actually enticed into returning play signals. A big step! Glad I got it on camera. Those can be seen here:

--Day 4 (yesterday)--

His guard hairs are noticeably longer, particularly his ruff. And what a handsome ruff it is!! He is becoming increasingly more stunning by the day.

1.jpg

2.jpg

17.jpg

He had a massive zoomie fit around Cairo which was not quite appreciated when he cut one corner a little too close. Cairo let him know!

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

I guess I'll leave it at that. I apologize for the excessive length, I'll try to cut it shorter next time!

19.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh it is such a joy to watch them in snow (or any time for that matter)!   Ours has all but melted though, so it's back to autumn again for us. Actually it's quite warm and lovely all of a sudden,

Posted Images

No such thing as excessive when it comes to puppy pictures. No need to apologize. After all, that is what the forum is content that we can share, but not have to store on our own computers.

Those pictures are excellent! That one picture, running, made AIDogs say, "Those aren't ears, those are Devil horns!"

Very interesting fur--a real cutie.

Oh, Woodrat! He's so handsome! We love all the pictures. Even those of us who have just gotten a pup, still live vicariously through your pictures with your pup. You can never have too many adorable, playful, and intelegente puppies around you! I must say he looks a lot like Willow. Their faces are very similar, with the exception of his obvious masculinity shining through. They both have the white chest marks, and both coats are two-tone with that gorgeous scruff/mane you show there.

It looks like he couldn't be happier, and it only makes Willow and I jealous that we can't go out and play like that. Our yard isn't nearly that big, and we can't go to the park yet! Soon we well, though! Hopefully we'll be able to get an East-Coaster's get together so we can all relish in the beauty and intelligence of our dogs.

You are both very luck you have each other, and Kim did a fantastic job, yet again, making sure you we together. When we got Willow, we were both kind of hoping for a red like Koda is, but we were told you let Kim pick, because he knew what was best. When it comes down to it, color really doesn't matter, however, with these dogs their colors are so sharp and leave you in awe, you can't help but want one of those "Oh wow!" colors. When we sent in our info for the kind of pup we wanted, we didn't put a sex, coat color, or eye color down. Willow has been more than great, with only a few issues. We know that we'll get to a point where she'll try to push us to our limit, and because of everyone on the forum, we're ready for it.

I'm so glad you got the perfect pup for you, and even more excited that he's Willow's brother! I hope we all get together someday and just have a giant puppy play date!

Those pictures are excellent! That one picture, running, made AIDogs say, "Those aren't ears, those are Devil horns!"

Thank you, and yes I couldn't help but agree about those ears! They are just too perfectly devilish to be anything else..

Nessa, isn't it striking how alike they look? I thought the same thing when I saw Willow's most recent pictures except that she is much more dainty looking. I'm so curious to know what they'll both look like when they grow up. I keep trying to guess at what kind of coat Tamarack will have and at first I thought it was going to be a thinner and short, but now I'm suspecting it might be relatively thick. I hope he keeps this scruff though, it is so much fun to run your fingers through!

We are lucky we have so much safe space to run, but I might be letting him have too much exercise and have been wondering if I should keep him under wraps a little more. Kim says not to let him get too much, especially until his pasterns strengthen... but it is so hard because he has so much fun! I can't wait until he's okay to go out in public though so I can get him nice and socialized, and in the woods so he can learn all about them.

I'm also hoping for an East Coast get together! It would be interesting to see if Willow and Tamarack remembered each other, and so much fun to watch a pack of AIdogs zooming about. Not to mention the dogs would have a blast for sure.

I didn't put down anything for color either when I sent in my application, and only requested a male because Cairo has always responded more positively and has been more likely to play with males. I really didn't care what color (I don't think I've seen a single AIdog I didn't like!), but it did occur to me at one point how silly it would be if I got a black one, making all my pets match - and sure enough! LOL. I couldn't help but laugh to myself when Kim told me what color he was on the phone. Someday I'm going to try to get a picture of them all together, cat included; Cairo and Tamarack have almost the same white markings even, it's pretty funny when they stand next to each other.

How lucky we both are to have these pups!

Woodrat--FANTASTIC pictures! I had such a problem when Denakka was that little because as soon as the camera came out, he was moving (fast) toward me! I needed Cairo to help distract him I guess. He's such a cutie and sounds like a marvelous pup--but aren't they all? These dogs are nothing if not fun and interesting all the time.

I'm all for an Eastcoast gathering somewhere, sometime. Fun, fun, fun! Thanks for the pictures. With Denakka not even 5 months old, it still brings back memories....he's sort of out of that real bouncy puppyhood now and it's fun to remember.

Nessa, isn't it striking how alike they look? I thought the same thing when I saw Willow's most recent pictures except that she is much more dainty looking.

I think that's a characteristic of the breed - there are some bitches who are best described as "dainty". I hear it about my own dog and when she is feeling playful and jumpy I call her "prancy" - some stupid word that just came out of my head. She's very ladylike.

Awesome pictures- well done!

Congrats on your new pup- and isn't it surprising how quickly they superglue themselves to your heart and soul?

He is such a cutie, and so full of life :). Might have the makings of a disc dog there :)

I know my JJ was a very springley pup, and has only gotten more coordinated about it- not less springy. LOL So we have bounce-games to help him get his 'boings' out.

Your pup looks so happy and full of fun. And learning good respectful behavior with your other dog.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the puppyhood!

We are lucky we have so much safe space to run, but I might be letting him have too much exercise and have been wondering if I should keep him under wraps a little more. Kim says not to let him get too much, especially until his pasterns strengthen... but it is so hard because he has so much fun! I can't wait until he's okay to go out in public though so I can get him nice and socialized, and in the woods so he can learn all about them.

How lucky we both are to have these pups!

It is not as easy as it sounds to "not let him get too much"! When things are fun, the dogs will go to the point of exhaustion. If they feel you need/want them to, they will go far more than the extra mile.

While they look to us for that sense of core direction and intention, they love to get their "Run" on. Or, Joan and I also call it, the frenzies. It is a beautiful thing.

That being said, after an especially energetic visit from our neighbor's Boxer, whom we love and whom attended the last AI gathering at our house, Wicca has a pulled muscle in her left armpit. It's been almost two weeks. She will do fine for a few days and then she will do something (like pick a wrestling match with Draco or push herself too fast. Saturday, Sadie and Abby (golden labs) came to visit. Wicca was favoring her shoulder. Yesterday, making a jump off a stump she had just jumped over a half dozen times, she must have landed just a little wrong and yelped and for half an hour was favoring it.

Then, when it came time for our normal evening walk through the neighborhood, she was the first one sitting at the gate at the sound of the leashes jingling. So, we did the short walk last night. To a surprising degree, these pups intuitively know "how and when", but ultimately, it has to be up to us to limit her activity.

It is not easy monitoring these pups!! We couldn't believe Draco after he was neutered and more recently with the bite he suffered. The vet said keep him quiet and low key for 10-14 days. Ha! Are you kidding me?!!? As all this seasons' pups begin coming of age, we'll start hearing these stories again.

We try to keep the reigns pulled in and at the same time our hearts fly when our dogs are flying around the yard. The light in Draco's and Wicca's eyes and the smiles on their faces are sometimes difficult to shut down... just necessary.

Keep the pictures, questions and answers coming!

gramtot - hah! I can very easily see where one might have that problem.. Even though Cairo's more likely to turn a cold shoulder to him than anything else, Tamarack still looks up to him and will follow him on 'patrol' around the fence line. It's very funny to see them off on the other side of the field strolling along single file, with Tamarack's waggly little cat tail waving around in the air. He strikes quite a profile from afar with that dark coat of his. And fun and interesting for sure... his behavior is so fascinating, I feel I could watch him all day long and consider it a day well spent.

Karen - I'd noticed that in all the pictures on Kim's site and this forum; the gals do have a very distinctive look. I love how 'pretty' they are!

Starghoti - Thank you! And yes, it IS surprising, but I don't think I'd want it any other way :)

I am glad you say that, because a disc dog is precisely what I had hoped for! He does seem to understand the concept of fetch, but doesn't always do so because he gets distracted or decides he'd rather chew on the toy rather than fetch it, but nothing a little training and encouragement can't fix. And he is only 10 wks :] His favorite toy right now is one of those cat toys that looks like a fishing pole with a bunch of feathers on the end of the line that flutter through the air when you wave it. It's excellent for a quick indoor energy drainer and for working his brain a little because it mimics prey that he can stalk. I can see him starting to gain that coordination you mention - he's starting to take turns faster and get better at predicting where the feather toy will be a second later and meeting it there with a snap of his teeth rather than just following it. It's so much fun to watch!

Here are some more pictures from yesterday... he is looking so grown up already.

1.jpg9.jpg

10.jpg12.jpg

15.jpg16.jpg

Anyone who's seen Raven's picture on the breeders page on Kim's site might get a kick out of that last one - same exact pose and holy cow does he look like his momma!

20.jpg21.jpg

22.jpg23.jpg

26.jpg27.jpg

29.jpg33.jpg

34.jpg36.jpg

38.jpg

I love the pictures on the rocks! Denakka does that as well--loves to walk over the rocks and balance on them. He started the first day and hasn't stopped--so steady and balanced. We walk at a park on the ocean--lots of boulders on the shore and he can walk across them with nary a misstep.

I feel I could watch him all day long and consider it a day well spent.

I totally agree.

I spent so many years working (too frequently) thanklessly for companies that weren't doing anything themselves, just making money off the work of others. I made good money but not one minute of it was as Soul satisfying as watching our dogs.

~~~~

And here, on the forum, we also get exponential satisfaction by vicariously watching all of OUR dogs. If any one of us needs anything, it seems that all our friends here on the forum either have the answer or, at the very least, the support for us to get through anything.

Thank you for all the pictures. Handsome. Handsome.

Woodrat, I just love all the facial expressions you have captured. You are a wonderful photographer. Some are so innocent, and puppy like while others so knowing and adult like. Tamarack is definitely going to be an interesting dog to watch come into maturity.

Tamarack is 'black', but he's not. He has so many different tones to his coat, and a very obvious sable marking under certain light. In sunlight, much of his coat glows a deep mahogany. I spend so much time daily marveling at all the little details in his coloration.
You captured the sun giving a definite glow to Tamarack's coat....beautiful. Keep those pics coming. :)

He is sooooo handsome! He looks like he's having a great time, I can't wait to be able to take Willow out.

You can never have too many adorable, playful, and intelegente puppies around you!

Haha, the Spanish sneaked through! I meant intelligent.

Can't thank you enough for the photos and video clips. They are great for helping me better identify healthy play, and your descriptions of the doggy communications match up really well with what I see my Namequa do with my also usually reluctant-to-play older dog. Only difference is that Nami at 13 weeks is far more persistent than Tamarack seems to be:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

It has been several weeks now since I last posted, and Tamarack has changed so much. Or at least his looks have, his personality is still just as fantastic as ever. He has more spunk now that he's feeling completely at home, but that just adds to the fun!

He is doing extremely well. He hasn't had an accident in two weeks so I think it's safe to assume he's potty trained, and he's doing very well with his manners and training. He's earned some freedom to roam a larger area than his ex pen under supervision, but I have to watch him like a hawk as with even 30 seconds of distraction, I often turn around to find him casually fiddling with the corner of a rug or nibbling ever so gingerly on the bed. Cairo has still not taken a liking to him, but he is more tolerant (to an extent).

We had our second vet appointment yesterday morning and (I don't think I have ever said this before about the vet) was ever it fun! The vet staff love him and it's pretty safe to say that the feeling is mutual. He wants to go up and greet everyone, dogs and people alike. He does have a nasty habit of yapping incessantly when I restrain him from flouncing up to someone, but he was better this time than our first appointment in that regard. He was so funny with the scale in the reception area - it took him a split second to remember from the first visit that a sit/stay on it will get him treats (he's 22 lbs at 14 weeks), and proceeded to do so on his own accord whenever we were within reach of it. His personality is very much an attention grabber as he is so full of spunk and fun, and everyone asks about him. I can tell I'm going to have to get used to explaining what an AIdog is. He took the shot easier than he did the first time as well, aided by the fact that he was hungrier (no breakfast before the car ride as he is prone to carsickness as we found out last time), so the treats the vet littered across the floor worked better as a distraction. When we were at the front desk paying the bill afterwards, a woman walked in with a 6 month old Caucasian Ovcharka puppy (of all things!), who Tamarack immediately decided would make a fantastic playmate. We let them play for about 10 minutes while the whole office watched on and laughed. It was such an unusual encounter and I couldn't help but wonder if anywhere else in the world two puppies of these respective breeds had ever had a chance to play, or even meet! I spoke to the owner while they played and found out that her pup hailed all the way from Russia. Very interesting! Tamarack was so funny crawling all over this giant lump of fluff, who bore the likeness of a chow chow painted the color of a keeshond. I was a little concerned he would be too rough for her (I know his play style pretty well by now from his regular play sessions with my landlord's goldens- which is to grab their cheeks and hang on like he's taking down a deer), but she didn't seem to mind, and he seemed to be a little more gentle with her than with his friends and spent more time crawling across her fluffy back than chomping on her face. A fun experience all around!

Anyway, on to the pictures - of which there are (too) many! He's gotten very lanky and lithe now, and is moving a lot more like a real Indian dog. He's lost his puppy klutziness. The puppy fur is departing quickly as well, leaving him sleek and shiny - a truly handsome animal. He looks so much like the pictures of his mum.

7.jpg 28.jpg 30.jpg 21.jpg 33.jpg 25.jpg 54.jpg 51.jpg 2.jpg

43.jpg 26.jpg 47.jpg

I've also got a bunch of videos up - not of anything particularly interesting, just of him enjoying the outdoors. I love watching him move so I film him a lot, even when he's just wandering around minding his own business. He is so curious about everything..

(I love Tamarack's indignant reaction haha)

- this one cracks me up because he is SO VOCAL when he is frustrated.

That's all for now - hope everyone else is doing well and enjoying the onset of Fall with the pups!

13.jpg

Edited by woodrat

What a handsome boy you have there! I do hope he and Denakka can meet so they can have some fun. Isn't it amazing how fast they change? I can't tell you how many times I've looked at Denakka and there is just something more grown up about him--it seems to happen overnight! I notice Tamarack on rocks--Denakka is a rock climber too. Of course it's hard not to be here in CT--and in NH as well--but he does go out of his way for them. He likes to be up high. If Tamarack is anything like Denakka, he also has amazing balance. Loved the pictures.

What a beauty!

Love the stage when they are all ears and paws and gangley legs.. :) and all learny-brains too!

It seems like they think they have to figure EVERYTHING out at once.. LOL

Lovely photos, and great job capturing the subtlety of his coloring. Love it!

Love the one of him stretched out, standing in the grass, facing away from the camera. You can really see how truly graceful these pups are- even at such an early age.

Absolutely wonderful pics...I like the one where Tamarack is standing on the rock looking at something curious. He looks like he is going to pounce any moment. The sun catching his coat and showing the auburn highlights...beautiful.

Gramtot - Yes! He loves climbing - on everything. And I'm very impressed with how agile he is.. and those feet! Kim said he'll never grow into them, that they're supposed to be enormous like that: perfect for climbing and swimming. I can see exactly what he meant now. Put to use, his feet seem to turn into 'hands' that can mold to the shape of whatever's beneath his feet. He can stand perfectly steady on angles I'd expect a 'normal' dog to have trouble with.

21.jpg23.jpg

Starghoti - I laughed at the 'learny-brains' - it's so true! It seems he absorbs everything...even if he doesn't show it at the moment, it almost inevitably will resurface the next time we're in a similar situation.

Thank you - and graceful.. you can say that again! His movements are so fluid, it's hard to take my eyes off of him sometimes. The best is when he's 'hunting' grasshoppers, butterflies, his feather toy, etc.. catlike almost.

miz molly - Thank you! I like that one too, had a hard time deciding between that one and the following pic, but I went with the first just because I love that pose. His coloring is so fascinating, and it seems to change with the light or with however I'm looking at it. Even down to the tiniest details, things are changing so fast. I noticed today that there's an area between his shoulders in which his guard hairs are silvery white at the base rather than black as they are elsewhere.

31.jpg

When I don't blow up this picture, he looks like he is in a "mountain lion" pose coming off the rock. Great shot!

13.5 pounds!! Wow. Tamarack weighed 18 lbs at his 1st visit in mid September. He's scheduled for his last distemper this coming Wed and I wouldn't be surprised if he weighs in at 25lbs. I wonder if he's going to be big for an AIdog.. Or maybe just hit a growth spurt earlier!

15.jpg

Edited by woodrat