Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I've Been Absent Lately..

Within the past 3 weeks, Chris and I have packed up two houses of our belongings. It's been a very tiring time for both of us, while also trying to plan for my pup.

We got our call about two weeks back. We were driving our 4 hour drive from my house to Alabama when Kim called. I kid you not I was so excited I had to stop the car on the side of the road. I was jumping in my seat. About three days later, he sent me two choices. A girl with two-toned eyes, and a silver boy. Both very adorable. I couldn't decide, and trusted Kim's decision, so I told him both were fine with me, and asked him to make the final call. He then sent me this-

image002.jpg

She's the cream/red. He said that he thought she would fit best, and I have to say, she's just what I was imagining!

Since then I have very (im)patiently been awaiting my second phone call. Today, I got it!

We will be driving down Florida to pick up this beautiful baby girl on Thursday! I'm so excited!

To those of you who are creeping around, and still awaiting that phone call, the wait is more than worth it. All that anticipation builds up until that moment when Kim says "Your pup is ready, if you are."

Any suggestions on things I should get for the pup are greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm stocked, but you never know.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She is absolutely adorable. She really makes me want another. My suggestion to have on hand is plenty of chew things to divert her attention from slippers etc. that have been left around, and frozen rags for her to chew on when she is teething, and oh yes, tons of soft love. Wow, what a cutie. Camera on the ready. May the fun begin. :huh:

Congratulations Nessa! What a cute littel girl....they all are but the look on her face is adorable. You'll have a blast with her. Just get ready for a few days of orientation for both and then a LOT of energy. Denakka is now 4 1/2 months and I was thrilled when he finally got all his shots and could get out and run off that energy! Thanks goodness I taught him fetch right away! I love the picture of the three pups--looks like they have furry eyebrows. Fun....

The three most important things:

Recall-name response

Fetch or Bring (with an automatic drop)

Camera with lots of batteries and memory

Patience

Vigilance for house training

Love

Patience

and above all, remember- every interaction with your pup builds the foundation of the dog you will be spending the next 15-20 years with. :)

Have fun!

and remember to breathe!!!

(been there- done that- loved every minute of it!)

She is a beauty, alright. Congratulations!

Have fun!

and remember to breathe!!!

(been there- done that- loved every minute of it!)

Haha, thanks, Star! You're posts always make me laugh. And although that was more than "three", I do appreciate any bit of advice I can get!

she looks a little foxy.

I almost said that, too. Little foxy..

....when Kim called. I kid you not I was so excited I had to stop the car on the side of the road. I was jumping in my seat.....

I think we all know what it's like to get that call from Kim. We had visited Song Dog Kennels and fallen for a certain shy blue eyed sweetheart even though Kim was planning on keeping her. When he called to say we could have her, you should have seen us. Luckily, we weren't driving.

So, congratulations on your foxy little one. We know exactly where your at.

Okay, so I don't have any pictures to post right now. My camera is upstairs, and this little girl is passed out. She won't leave my side, so I don't want to disturb her, again. However, I should inform you that we did not get the little cream/red that I originally thought. Instead we got a mostly tan/black girl. She has black on her mane, ears, "armpits", and her whole tail. Absolutely adorable. She's extremely loveable, and want's nothing to do with anything unless mommy or daddy are there (we'll have to break this habit).

You can tell she's been raised outdoors, because the carpet originally terrified her. Along with the tile, and the hardwood. She's still refusing to go on the stairs, even if I place her there, she just lays down like "aww man, what do I do?"

After about 2 minutes of whining last night after being put in the kennel for bed, she slept until about 9am, which was fantastic saying as we didn't get to bed until 5am! We haven't decided on a name for her yet, though she really loves being in the grass and dirt, so maybe something along those lines will be good, haha!

I'll get some pictures up, soon!

So is it the dark and tan one on the left, in the photo? The one with the bright eyes?

Kim always says it is important to get them following you when they are young, without a leash. Seems like you may have a head start on that.

Here's a quick glance. I'm trying to get a picture of her chest, but she's too happy to slow down.

IMG_8823cpy.jpg

Still nameless.

Yes, it IS hard to get those first pictures. They move so fast and every time I got my camera, Denakka was right there beside me. Talk about blurry closeups! Thanks goodness for digital cameras. Just keep clicking away and sooner or later you'll get pictures that are keepers. Now at 4 1/2 - 5 months, Denakka will stay away from me long enough for pictures---sometimes. But he's still fast so I either get blurry pictures or pictures of him napping--rarely anything in between.

Denakka wasn't afraid of the carpet but immediately (within 5 minutes of being the in house) started trying to dig into it--I'm guessing trying to figure it out. It didn't take him long to learn that carpets were softer than hardwood and sofas were softer than carpet!

Can't wait to hear what you decide for a name. From which litter is she? That picture of the three pups is a heart grabber....they all look so adorable.

Haha, I'm sure you have your hands full with Denakka! He is such a handsome boy, I'm sure you get questions about him all the time, now that you're off quarantine! I can already tell that the first 3 months with her are going to be the most difficult. She absolutely loves being outside. It takes her a minute to settle down to go potty (of which we've only had one accident, my fault), but once she goes, she immediately starts rolling around and trying to play. Then it's the fight to get her back in. She follows me every where without a problem, but once she sees I'm going to the door, it's like she pulled the e-brake. She'll just back up and lay down like "no way momma! it's soooooo boring in there!"

I did manage to snap a few pictures of her, though!

IMG_8826cpy.jpg

Her "birthmark", or "belly button".

IMG_8832cpy.jpg

Her black mane which I absolutely love! She also has a bit a cream right under it, I just couldn't get a picture of it.

IMG_8838cpy.jpg

I love how she instantly changes colors where her tail meets her bottom.

IMG_8830cpy.jpg

She's such a good model.

Unofficially, her name is Willow.

Wow! Very unique coloring. I do love that black mane and tail--almost cat-like. It will be interesting to see how her color changes as she grows. Her ruff will be spectacular!

Her hair is short, I see. Is it soft or coarse like regular dog fur?

I have to laugh, because looking back at that group puppy picture, I don't think she is in there at all!

Haha, nope she isn't! She's from Newcum/Raven... Which I think is supposed to say New Kim, but I'm sure it was very early when Kim wrote this down.

She's really soft everywhere except right above her bottom, it gets a little coarse.

I'm really hoping her winter coat gets really thick, so her mane can really get some attention.

So far she's been fantastic. We've had 2 accidents. One was my fault, the other she was in the kennel while I ran to the store and couldn't hold it. She's braved the stairs, which was a huge step for her (pun intended), and now goes up them without a problem, but going down requires some help. By help I mean putting her halfway down the stairs.

Last night went pretty smooth as well. We went to bed much earlier, around 12 or so, and she didn't wake us up until 5am. Then went back to sleep until almost 8! She's doing very well with that, and knows that she has to go potty first thing when we get outside. Right now she's passed out, making sure she is somehow touching me. If I move away, she kind of wakes up, scoots closer, then passes back out.

I'll try to get more pictures.

If I move away, she kind of wakes up, scoots closer, then passes back out.

You've got a snuggeler on your hands. :lol: Her mane is absolutely wonderful looking.

So, I'm sure this isn't a real issue, but I want to be sure.

Willow has been getting the hiccups fairly often (saying as we've had her less than a week), they don't last long, but they're frequent. She doesn't seem to notice or even care, but they're rapid. Just making sure this isn't something uncommon with the breed. I've had other dogs get hiccups before, but not often.

She's also been chewing on her feet for no reason I can see. I've bathed her twice since I got her, and she doesn't have any spurs or stickers in her feet. Other than tell her to stop, I'm not sure what else to do here.

Other than these things, she's a wonderful pup and knows that the kennel means it's sleep-time, has conquered the stairs, and is only slightly afraid of the upstairs hallway. She also does not like to be leashed, and follows me in the front yard without a problem. She doesn't leave our yard, and comes inside either on command, or when she sees me start to walk towards the front door. She is still afraid of bathrooms, but I blame that on the bathing.

Will get some pictures up of her soon, I feel like she's already grown a ton.

Hiccups- Totally normal. JJ had them in spades until he was about 6-7 mo old. Supposedly it has to do with diaphragm development- so don't worry :)

Chewing on her feet may just be a thing of hers. Tehya 'grooms' her forelegs every day- like a cat. I figure, as long as they aren't losing hair or flesh, it's ok.

Leash work- get her used to it. When you reach the bratty phase, she may well decide she doesn't have to follow or listen anymore. She will also need to be on a leash to go much of anywhere in public, legally. Not to mention the vet's office. Make it a wonderful thing. Put the leash on and give her treats. Have her follow you around on leash, and give her treats. In no time you will be able to walk her safely around your neighborhood/city (once she's had all her shots!) and I would hate for something horrible to happen. Cars are merciless, and some neighborhood dogs are very territorial. Besides, letting her decide that she doesn't have to wear a leash is setting a bad precedent. LOL You make the rules- remember? ;):)

Pictures- can't wait to see her :)

So, I'm sure this isn't a real issue, but I want to be sure.

Willow has been getting the hiccups fairly often (saying as we've had her less than a week), they don't last long, but they're frequent. She doesn't seem to notice or even care, but they're rapid. Just making sure this isn't something uncommon with the breed. I've had other dogs get hiccups before, but not often.

She's also been chewing on her feet for no reason I can see. I've bathed her twice since I got her, and she doesn't have any spurs or stickers in her feet. Other than tell her to stop, I'm not sure what else to do here.

Other than these things, she's a wonderful pup and knows that the kennel means it's sleep-time, has conquered the stairs, and is only slightly afraid of the upstairs hallway. She also does not like to be leashed, and follows me in the front yard without a problem. She doesn't leave our yard, and comes inside either on command, or when she sees me start to walk towards the front door. She is still afraid of bathrooms, but I blame that on the bathing.

Will get some pictures up of her soon, I feel like she's already grown a ton.

All of ours get hiccups at one time or another. I wouldn't worry. We have one pup who actually bites her nails -- dew claws and front feet!!! Now don't freak out but NONE of our AIDS have ever had a bath! We bathed our first one one time and it looked like he stuck his paw in an electrical outlet. All the natural oil left his coat an these dogs really don't smell! Remember, Kim doesn't bath his pups - they get thrown into the river occasionally. I would definitely start putting a very loose collar on the pup with the leash attached. It is extremely dangerous to have them out of a fenced in yard without a leash. Remember puppies love to run! Better to be safe than oh so sorry. In Michigan it's the law that animals must be leashed. It's for their safety as well as others. Anyway, that's just my feeling!!!

JudyK in Northern Michigan

Sitka chews on his nails when he needs them cut, and both my dogs got hiccups as pups, too.

They sort of clean themselves like cats do, feet and all. Sitka is very fastidious, and then he goes out and rolls in something horrible. :)

Sitka is very fastidious, and then he goes out and rolls in something horrible. :)

like.jpg

Good to hear on the hiccups! I was really worried about her.

Thank everyone for your advice, as I've said, I'll take any I can get. As far as the leash/collar goes, she does wear a collar, and will go on the leash, but obviously hates it. I know she'll reach her "teen" stage where she just becomes completely difficult, and I'm ready for it. Chris puts her on the leash when he takes her out, so she is getting used to her leash. We live in a cul-de-sac, so it's a little safer, haha. I will start working her with the leash a bit more. In the house, and in the yard. She really hates being cooped up like this.

Now that she's conquered the stairs she'll run up and down both flights just to run off some excess energy, or see what someone is doing upstairs. She pretty much has fetch down, although she doesn't know it's fetch. She just knows if she wants us to keep playing with her, we have to bring whatever toy back.

Last night was the toughest we've had so far. She woke us up several times, all legitimately for potty, just often. At one point, after we had put her back in at about 5am, she whined for a minute, and after being hushed with very firm/sleepy "quite"s from Chris and I, I think she freaked herself out, or was really stressed by not being allowed to touch us and cuddle. She threw up some bile. Nothing else really but water, but it made me nervous. We cleaned the kennel, and I held her for a second, making sure she was okay. We put her back in after about 3 or 4 minutes, and she went right to sleep. She really seems to have anxiety about snuggling!

Pictures soon, promise!