Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Happy 4th of July weekend everyone.

Joan and I have some work this morning (Saturday) but then we're off until Tuesday!! Three days with the four of together all day --- Hooray!!

Our two pups are doing OK so far with the gradual build-up of fireworks going off. Lynnwood has a pretty amazing display going on every year with people just lighting them off everywhere.

I'm usually up until after midnight on fire watch, which is when the parents in our neighborhood finally stop their kids.

It's the adult kids in the rest of the surrounding area that are still setting off rockets and cannons (it sounds like) until "dawns early light"....

I probably will be taking more pictures this weekend and won't have time to post them until next week.

Everybody have a safe and fun weekend.

Stay safe everyone.

Fortunately for us, none of out kids much care about the *whizz-POP* going on in our (very rambunctious) neighborhood.

Tehya is taking her cue from the other two and they are all totally used to Trevor playing video games and our action movies helped too :lol:

How are others of you handling the excitement?

Fortunately for us, none of out kids much care about the *whizz-POP* going on in our (very rambunctious) neighborhood.

Tehya is taking her cue from the other two and they are all totally used to Trevor playing video games and our action movies helped too :lol:

How are others of you handling the excitement?

Ours hate the fireworks. They run from the basement to the parlor to the upstairs back to the basement. Chief goes in the bathroom and literally wraps himself around the toilet!!!!!! Because we're in a resort-type town, lots of people are up north for the weekend and truly get carried away - they figure they can't shoot the types of fireworks off at their homes so they bring them up here and drive us (and our pets) nuts. Oh, yea, do they clean up their mess????? No it's left on the beach!!

Have a safe and enjoyable holiday! (Can't believe that 2011 is half over!!!)

Judy, Larry and all their kids!!!

Oh, I hear you Judy- our neighbors on our street get pretty crazy. We KNOW about half of what they let off is Totally illegal. There are several families that contribute to the neighborhood show, and folks come from blocks around for the thrill... Sigh.

The good news is our dogs only become concerned, at the ruckus right out on the street in front of our house, only when there is too much yelling or the children get loud. And the folks having all the fun are pretty good at having buckets of water handy and sweeping up after. Heck- last year Mina wanted to go out and Watch. She would look at me and wag, like she was saying "Didja see that Mom?? Kewl huh??"

The bad news is it goes on until 1-2am and T's alarm goes off at 3:15 bright and early for work Tuesday morning... Another heavy sigh...

We are glad that most of it will be done with tonight.

Well the bangs and explosions have been going off since Friday night, here in the Santa Cruz Mountains :o ....Tolinka stands on guard, hackles raised and barks like the bangs are coming for him or me. He is definitely taking the "on guard position." Bogouis, my boarder is too deaf to hear them, so there is no reaction on her part. :lol: Probably a good thing cuz I am sure Tolinka would copy her if she reacted. Tonight is the big night, where everyone will be going nuts. :D Fortunately most people here in the forest know how dangerous it is and how easily those sparkling flying balls of color can land in a tree and cause real problems. Hopefully there isn't going to be any out of town dummies around here that don't get it. Have a safe 4th, and enjoy your evening and celebration activities. :lol:

Roscoe is totally chill around the fireworks (no big surprise there) and Danza is nervous but she keeps it under control. That's one of the things I admire about her - when she is afraid of something, she'll either try to get away from it or want to be nearer to me, but she never really freaks out. I know she's really afraid, but it's like she doesn't want to surrender to it. She keeps it under control.

Tonight we are going to be among the noisemakers. Our neighborhood is having a BBQ, and we have a teenager who wants to light it up. At least it will be at the house the furthest from ours. The trees really muffle the sound. (There have been extra fireworks this year - it's been so wet that no one is worried about burning down the forest.)

If your dog is nervous about the fireworks/noise try Bach's Rescue Remedy. It helps almost any situation where you're dealing with fear or anxiety. Also there is a really cool 'jacket' for nervous dogs called the Thunder shirt ( http://www.thundershirt.com/) that I'm told works well. Based kind of on the theory that Dr. Temple Grandin used for herself and other autistic people (if you haven't seen the movie about her life you really should - fascinating!) So many animals suffer on the 4th (and New Years etc) end up traumatized or even escaping confinement and running away/getting lost.....not that I think anyone here would allow that to happen but one never knows! (Rescue Remedy works on people, cats, horses, almost any mammal too btw - used to give it to my foster kids when anxiety or anger got the best of them!)

Oops meant to add that today is Kim's birthday too - just in case anyone wants to wish him a happy birthday!

Thanks for the heads-up! Wished him HB on FB. :rolleyes:

Roscoe is totally chill around the fireworks (no big surprise there) and Danza is nervous but she keeps it under control. That's one of the things I admire about her - when she is afraid of something, she'll either try to get away from it or want to be nearer to me, but she never really freaks out. I know she's really afraid, but it's like she doesn't want to surrender to it. She keeps it under control.

Tonight we are going to be among the noisemakers. Our neighborhood is having a BBQ, and we have a teenager who wants to light it up. At least it will be at the house the furthest from ours. The trees really muffle the sound. (There have been extra fireworks this year - it's been so wet that no one is worried about burning down the forest.)

Karen snake is alot like danza both dogs hate boom booms they go to my room and hiide until they are over, malachi will go under the bed thats his safe haven

I'll never do that again. I guess it's good that I enjoyed my only diy fireworks, since it was probably my last. The teenager came down to the party once things started warming up all over the extended neighborhood, and he didn't crate Danza. I don't think it would have helped anyway. She should not have been alone - I failed her. She somehow managed to open the double doors out to the front patio, and when my husband walked up to the house, the door was open and she was apparently nearby, running and "screaming", in his words. If she'd been crated, she would have broken out of that, too. (She's figured out how to get out of three different crates.) Luckily she did not head for the hills, and came to him when he tried to round her up. By the time I got to the house about 15 minutes later she was crated and calm. I apologized to her profusely. :rolleyes:

I'll never do that again. I guess it's good that I enjoyed my only diy fireworks, since it was probably my last. The teenager came down to the party once things started warming up all over the extended neighborhood, and he didn't crate Danza. I don't think it would have helped anyway. She should not have been alone - I failed her. She somehow managed to open the double doors out to the front patio, and when my husband walked up to the house, the door was open and she was apparently nearby, running and "screaming", in his words. If she'd been crated, she would have broken out of that, too. (She's figured out how to get out of three different crates.) Luckily she did not head for the hills, and came to him when he tried to round her up. By the time I got to the house about 15 minutes later she was crated and calm. I apologized to her profusely. :rolleyes:

I imagine that was scary for you!And for Danza too. Sorry to hear how frightened she was - know you were frightened for her. Amazing tho how adept these guys are about finding a way to 'escape'! They are so darned smart! And don't worry about 'failing' her - it's always a learning experience with these dogs, now you both know that there's more to learn LOL So glad tho that she came freely to your hubbie - that means you guys are definitely pack leaders in her mind - safety and love are where you are!