Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tehya Finds A New Home

Wow, that's so much progress! It sounds like she is one of those dogs who are so grateful to be rescued that they will bend over backwards to make you happy. That's how Roscoe was for a long time, then he just was in the habit of it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that's so much progress! It sounds like she is one of those dogs who are so grateful to be rescued that they will bend over backwards to make you happy. That's how Roscoe was for a long time, then he just was in the habit of it.

She sounds lovely! Just needed the right home and gentle handling, so glad it has worked out for you all.

to bark to alert and defend her new home

When Koda did this the first time it was a low woof, now she does a full blown WOOF then into a howl at times...I know she is happy when she does this....she would protect us at all costs I believe....

so glad you were able to take Tehya she sounds like she is in heaven!!!

Thanks guys!

I'll pass on the words of praise and encouragement to Tehya too!

:)

So finally got a few good pics of Tehya, and a kewl action sequence!

So, as if anyone could Not know who Jasper is..

And Tehya!

And a fun series of them romping across the yard! LOL

The Latest Update:

Mina, our old BCx girl, has decided that Tehya has finally earned her notice. She reserves judgement for a while and studies other dogs first.. lol

But they actually 'played' for a few moments this morning. Then Mina said "enough" and Tehya made kissy-face and left her alone. Good girls!

And Tehya is becoming much more comfortable with herself and her surroundings. She even played briefly with a couple strange dogs at the dog park yesterday. More of a chase and be chased- but she was not showing much 'fear' while doing it. Yay!

The Latest Update...... but she was not showing much 'fear' while doing it. Yay!

Thanks, again, Starghoti, for the updates.

Love hearing about the metamorphosis. Something about you doing all the work and sharing it with the forum makes my own heart feel better.

~~~~

The Sun is out today in Lynnwood and the dogs are still asleep. We've got some good times planned today in our Quarantine!

Thanks, again, Starghoti, for the updates.

Love hearing about the metamorphosis. Something about you doing all the work and sharing it with the forum makes my own heart feel better.

~~~~

The Sun is out today in Lynnwood and the dogs are still asleep. We've got some good times planned today in our Quarantine!

Oh, I'm not doing all the work. Tehya is doing lots, and Jasper and Mina, and the Hubby are helping.

:lol:

Could you help me understand how all this testing the boundaries behavior was affecting the other dogs in the household and what you did to ensure their safety when difficult behaviors came up? I have a chow/shepherd mix who I've had to work hard with to help him overcome his timidity. When I read the story of Tehya and saw the pictures of the two dogs together, it really frightened me. I guess my questions are these: do all AI dogs go through the dog equivalent of the terrible twos with children? These stories focus on Tehya and her reactions to the other dogs, but say little about how the other dogs are handling her behaviors. Can someone help me understand what is our role as the alpha if the behavior of the new arrival seems threatening to the other dogs? How do you learn to read them so you know when to let them work it out and when to intervene? I'm obviously misreading these photos, because I'm sure you wouldn't be posting them if the dogs were truly of danger to each other - but I'm not sure all the reading in the world is going to teach me how to figure that out. I'm guessing that the former owners must have been struggling with these same kinds of issues, and I don't want to make the same mistakes. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

So, are you adding another dog to your household, and this is the first time you'll be living with two dogs at once?

I think you should

1) Not worry.

That's it.

You should see my two go at it - it can be a little alarming sometimes. But they are always on good terms, they have never hurt each other in any more than an annoying way, and they are clearly happy while they are doing it. Their tails are wagging, their ears are up and perky, and, most importantly, they don't want it to end. They are full of longing and pining and misery when they are apart, and my older dog thought the arrival of the pup was the end of the world.

Dogs know what to do with one another if they are at all socialized. Trust the older, more experienced dog to show the youngster where the boundaries are. And give it some time. It took quite a while before our super-mellow unassertive dog laid down the law. And the youngster is always testing him!

I appreciate the advice, Karen. This will be my first American Indian dog. I've had two different female dogs paired off with my current male. But the first was an older shepherd mix who was an angel of tranquility, and the second was a poorly socialized Jack Russell who he helped me train into a lovable companion. We're both missing her, and I wanted to try raising a puppy rather than adopting another rescue. So even though I've managed two at a time before and have had to resolve a lot of probem dog behaviors over the years, I've never encountered a challenge quite like what Tehya's first owners seem to have experienced. Thank you for your calming words. Starghoti sounds like an amazingly competent and loving trainer. I just want to do right by these remarkable dogs, and by my guy MooShoo as well.

Joanne, it does not sound as if Tehya's problems were her fault. A lot of us have multiple dog households, and I do not think that the AID is a particular challenge in that area. Whatever was going on in her first household, it wasn't the fault of the dog or the breed.

Joanne, it does not sound as if Tehya's problems were her fault. A lot of us have multiple dog households, and I do not think that the AID is a particular challenge in that area. Whatever was going on in her first household, it wasn't the fault of the dog or the breed.

Joanne, I've said many times on this forum my husband and I have owned seven of these dogs. If there would have been a problem with the first one, there would not have been six others to follow! Let the dogs set up their own alpha lines - don't get involved. They will figure it out. Yes, there will be moments when you think one will be killed but NEVER does it happen. It's their way of establishing their own pecking order. These dogs are never dominant with children when the alpha person sets and makes the rules clear. My husband is our pack leader and there is never a problem. This breed is great with kids. They will want to herd them but the dogs will take care of the kids. We have four grandkids to attest to that. As Karen stated, the problems with Tehya's were NOT the dog's problems - the owner didn't get it. Listen to everything Kim will tell you - everything. He has been doing this for many many years and knows this breed inside out. He knows what works and what you, as the alpha person, MUST do to raise a healthy, happy and fun animal. We are all here to help with experiences we've encountered with the dogs but Kim is the Grand Master of them all!!!

JudyK in Northern Michigan

Totally concur with Judy and Karen!

Dogs know what they are doing. People are the ones that mess dogs up horribly sometimes.

None of Tehya's quirks are at all her fault. Her shyness is totally from a complete lack of life experience. Her former owners, essentially raised her in a box. They decided they could not trust her and thus ostracized her to a kennel :rolleyes:

I set kind but firm rules from the first moment. Concerning appropriate behavior in the house and such. After the first week I began lowering my 24-7 guard on her because she had earned my trust by that point. I went into this believing she would do fine, and helped her succeed. Now, with proper socialization, exercise, and obedience training (mental exercise is important too) she is doing great. I am totally comfortable leaving the room for half an hour- 45 min to do dishes and tidy the kitchen. Now she seeks me out. She comes into the kitchen and lays on the rug in front of the stove and watches. I have encouraged this behavior by occasionally giving her loving and treats for doing it. So for me, training is easy. Catch them doing something right and reward them. They are not stupid, and will repeat for reward often enough for it to become habit.

As for their play, dogs PRETEND to fight for fun and practice. Our 12yr old sweetheart BCx, Mina sounds like she is killing Jasper. But as Karen mentioned, he keeps coming back for more. When JJ was a little puppy she played much more gently. It was like watching her give him martial arts lessons. Now he is quick and nimble and very clever at the dog park. He also has excellent social skills and gets along with just about everybody and shows respect where it is due. And he is nearly fearless also, because Mina taugt him at an early age how to try to defend himself. He stalks and hunts and pounces on her and then she rounds on him and playfully trounced his little hairy butt- and he joyfully does it again!

I will try to catch this little show on video for you so you can see and hear all the fracas and fun!

Give me a day or two and I'll post a link for you :)

And the latest progress update:

Tehya has decided that the wading pool is ok to go stand in.

And she is beginning to mimic Jasper's agility tricks. She is starting to grasp the 2on2off trick and how to put her front feet on the board and then all 4 feet, and the 'Ok' to release her to go play some more. :rolleyes:

Clever girl. Very glad we gave her no slack at first, when we got her. Now we don't have to unlearn her bad habits :)

So great to hear so much positve news.

Joanne, my dogs love to wrestle, but as soon as there is the yip of hurt, they jump up and away from each other. It is clear that they don't want to hurt, just play.

You might do well to read Gib's thread about the pup they added to their family. That will be much closer to what you should expect.

Will mods post the link for her?

You guys are the best...I'm imagining the happy companionabiilty I know is possible for MooShoo, our soon-(I hope:)-to-be new arrival, and me. Surrounded by so much kindness and support, I know I can make things the way I'm imagining them for us. Thanks so much for the encouragement and especially for the stories. I did read Gib's postings about his shy little girl a couple of nights ago and I'm going to re-read them right now as a reminder to think positive and stop worrying. Looking forward to seeing the video of Mina and Jasper rough-housing when you have a chance, Starghoti. My best friend had a fish named Ghoti...are you a G.B. Shaw fan too?

Thanks Allison!

I totally forgot to mention that if anyone says "ow" everybody stops, and everybody checks with everybody else before play resumes. Also if Tehya gets too big for her britches and Mina feels the need to scold her (usually some grumbly language and maybe a sharp turn with an 'airsnap') Tehya then learns her place and what is expected. She Appreciates such direction, and really likes Mina and wants to get stuff right. She looked so pleased with herself the first time Mina took notice of her and interacted in a social way - lol

You need to remember that dogs natively speak dog. :rolleyes:

Another update.

We 'pack walked' this morning (aka I walked all 3 dogs at once, on leashes- and lived!)

While out, a neighbor dog came across the street and 'greeted' us. And Tehya did not freak out. She exchanged sniffs with the old JackR x, and barely showed any stress! YAY!!!!! :rolleyes::D:)

So proud of her!

Ok- JF

Here's that link

Ok- this girl is the bomb.

We just went tandem-scootering. No one was inujured, Tehya did not have a mental collapse, and she even started having some fun at the end. ;)

I think she really appreciates her new job.

Tho I will have to modify the tug-line so she can 'chase' Jasper until she gets the hang of it.

Oh, and Tehya just doesn't seem to be bonding with us.. LOL NOT!

us32.jpg

us3.jpg

Yeah- they both look so Horribly Abused and Neglected.. lol

sure, right.

Sorry about the bundle of rope- it is for the new scootering trace lines ;)

OK--exactly is tandem-scootering? I have all sorts of answers in my head, but don't know which is right or if any are right!