Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tehya Finds A New Home

Hi everyone. I'm writing from my phone, from Waitsburg, so forgive me if I don't elaborate.

You might have noticed I've been absent lately. I have had the great honor of rescuing one of our dogs. Her name is Tehya. She's lovely.

The owners had written Kim that it wasn't working out. They had a long list of complaints for this young gal, that has turned 1 year in just the last few days. So I wasn't sure what to expect.

When I arrived, it was clear they had spent a good deal of money creating a kennel. There was a poured concrete slab and even a small landscaped yard for her and their other two dogs--a great dane and a mini-dacsund. However, Tehya was still sleeping in a crate in the garage, while the others were allowed in the house. They said, "She couldn't be trusted."

She had dug up all the grass in her generous kennel, and they had had to separate her from the other dogs, because they were worried for the mini's safety. I noticed that the tall enclosure did not allow her to see out, so she was effectively locked in a room.

The people were very nice, and even provided her shot records.

She was shy and worried, pacing like a cat in a small cage at the zoo.

When I asked her to "load up" in my truck, they told me she didn't know how. So I lifted her.

We started down the road, both of us not knowing what to expect. She was clearly worried that she would not find her way back, but responded to my touch. She became more agitated as we drove, and I thought maybe she had to pee. So we pulled off. Amazingly, she jumped right into the truck.

The meeting with the boys did not go well. They were just too excited for her. She peed and pooped on the floor, and was clearly afraid. I took the boys outside, and let her look around while I cleaned up the mess.

She stayed with us for most of four days. She clung to her pillow and fine in her crate, but would not go near the boys. I had to close them in a room and put her on a leash to get her outside. I wondered if she thought I would not let her back in the house?

I took her safe crate upstairs, and she slept beside us. She did not make a peep. The next morning she would not come out of her crate. I had to take the boys out, and come back with the leash. She would not go outside with them either, so I took her in the front--much praise for "letting it go".

The day wore on with her giving a low warning growl every time the boys got near.

I called Kim and we spoke for a while. He cautioned me not to allow her to misbehave. He said, "They need to know their parameters, and are happier when the lines are drawn-rules laid out."

Later I found out how right he was. She would give a low warning growl if the boys came near. She just stayed on her pillow. Sitka would lie down a ways away, and then a lttle closer each time. At one point, I went over to her, sat on the floor, and gave her pets. She is really sweet and gentle-no problem there. Sitka took the opportunity to come up on the other side of me and they touched noses. Then a fight started with me in the middle! I jumped up and gave her a stern "NO!" And also to Sitka. She never did that again. Kim was right. She was more comfortable when the lines were clearly drawn.

Just when I was starting to get discouraged, she left her pillow and walked over for a pat. Breakthrough! Then she ran back.

She watched us play from the safety of her pillow. She almost joined in once but ran back to her pillow.

That evening I brought her pillow into the kitchen so she would stay by me while I cooked. I think that helped a lot. She seemed thrilled to be wanted.

From then on, every hour brought new successes. She never was able to come outside with the boys, but she'd run out, stand beside me, and then run back onto the porch.

Friday we loaded up and headed down to Salem to hand her off to Starghoti, who was kind enough to do the final leg to Kim's. You can imagine that I had mixed feelings.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to add that I never saw any of the behaviors that they complained about, and by the last days she was leaving her pillow and could walk by the boys in the house in small spaces without growling. Although she still preferred to keep her distance.

Wow! My heart goes out to her. I'm so glad that her owners decided to give her up rather than continue to keep her.

She was shy and worried, pacing like a cat in a small cage at the zoo.

I can just see Kim working with her, and what a better place to be, for the moment, than Song Dog. With his deep understanding of these animals, Kim will heal her emotions in no time. Keep us posted on her healing progress.

Star, what happened when you dropped her off at Kim's?

Hi everyone. I'm writing from my phone, from Waitsburg, so forgive me if I don't elaborate.

She stayed with us for most of four days. She clung to her pillow and fine in her crate, but would not go near the boys. ....She just stayed on her pillow.

Just when I was starting to get discouraged, she left her pillow and walked over for a pat. Breakthrough! Then she ran back.

She watched us play from the safety of her pillow. She almost joined in once but ran back to her pillow.

First off, mad phone typing skills.

The pillow story reminds me very much of Danza when we first brought her home. She had a little corner of the rug, right by my feet, that she never wanted to leave. It obviously stressed her out to be taken outside, off the rug, and she didn't let me know when she had to pee. She slowly expanded her comfort zone from the corner of the rug to the whole thing, and then she started stepping off it and venturing into the family room. Shortly thereafter, I removed the rug.

(I found a photo to illustrate!)

ready_to_pounce%255B1%255D.jpg

Tehya looks happy at Star's.

There is a new book out, and I'm on the library's waiting list for it. He talks about the co-evolution of dogs and man, and how dogs have evolved to need our company. He considers leaving a dog alone every day to be a form of abuse. Since I haven't read it yet I haven't formed an opinion on his views, but I've always felt that not taking that social need for us into account was bad for dogs. Maybe they meant well, but isolating her from the rest of the pack, from the people and the other dogs, was bound to mess her up. I'm glad she's been "rehomed" (ugh - a word used by people to make themselves feel better for kicking their dogs out of their lives.)

The book details are:

Dog sense : how the new science of dog behavior can make you a be... by Bradshaw, John. He was on the Colbert Report.

The continuing Tehya saga:

Allison called me about relaying Tehya down to Kim. Though I had a few concerns/hesitations, I couldn't ignore an AI dog in such need. So we made plans for an overnight camping trip at the Lake Selmac park after we dropped Tehya off at Kim's.

We met up with Allison on Friday. Jasper came with, Mina stayed home with Dad. I figured seeing's how they were right about the same age, she might remember him- or at least another AI dog scent might help her.

She was very skittish and balky about everything. Once we got her loaded in my wagon, she rode quietly in her crate on a "blanket"

I called ahead to my husband so he could rearrange the crates in the house to make room for hers.

Got her to our house, and took our kids outside so they (especially Jasper) could burn off energy for a few minutes in the yard. Then I brought her in through the side gate. And the introductions began. She clung to me like wet saran wrap and our 2 seemed to understand her fears and took their time approaching her. Eventually she calmed down a little and tentative sniffs were had all around. Then we all came inside- Tehya on a leash- so she could meet the cat (thankfully- totally disinterested) and then relax in her safe-crate in the livingroom while I cooked dinner.

After dinner (ours and theirs) we all went outside to stretch our legs and take care of necessary 'business'. I let her off the leash so she could move around a bit more, because I figured she had spent all day in the crate and could use some exercise so she could relax and sleep. Jasper really tried hard to make friends. Kept bringing her toys and coming up to her and using "play" language and laying down and being small.. You could see her gears turning. She was processing all this new data and environment like crazy!

By the end of the pre-bedtime free play, she was following Jasper around at a distance to see what he would do next. She was also taking his lead, and coming up to me for attention. She eventually came to me and rolled on her back to get belly skritches, and play Patty-Feets and Bitey-face with me.

As Allison said, she slept through the night without a peep.

I had to work in the morning, so Hubby had 'dog-watch.'

He reported that she was getting tummy skritches from him in the livingroom, and that when he took them all outside, she did "long-dog" on the grass. You know- where they stretch out with their toes as far apart as possible.

After I got home, and we had gotten our gear packed and we all went out to stretch and play again.

Amazingly, this time Tehya was ALMOST ready to play with my two dogs.. such a sweet willing girl.

Trevor and I discussed whether we wanted to petition Kim to just let us keep her.. lol

We arrived at Kim's in the early afternoon. We were graciously greeted by Ghost- of course. She requested that I let Jasper out to play with her.. lol Kept him in the parking area, due to the pups, but Ghost and Jasper got to play- yay.

Kim met Tehya after we told him how she did with us, and the progress she made. He decided to put her in with the super friendly Tahltan pups. Give her some exuberance therapy! She was even afraid of the pups, tho they could not actually Hurt her. We also got to meet the new litter/s. Such a bunch of beauties. Yes we got pictures!

Kim was planning on letting her get used to the pups, then move her in with the young and playful males. Considering she was spayed, and the boys are enthusiastic but respectful of girls. He wanted her to get a chance to learn to be a real dog again. To learn who she was- then decide on a home for her.

It was hard to leave her there.

We had a lovely camp out. The area the Gathering is going to be in this year is really beautiful.

Trevor and I continued the discussion of whether we felt we could handle 3 dogs and whether we could give her the life she deserved. We hoped Kim would consider us when he felt she was ready for a home.

The next morning, we needed to drop off something we forgot to Kim, and take more pictures.

Once we got to the ranch, we had cell service, so I called ahead. He had some exciting news for us. Apparently he thought more about Tehya and saw her reaction to us leaving her. He decided that what she needed most was a 'real home' with a family. And were we really serious about wanting her? Hmm. let me think.. yes

So we got some more pictures for him, and then loaded Tehya back into the car for her journey HOME.

I started, in earnest, thinking of all the things I would have to do for her. Ways I could help her become a 'good dog.'

I would expect the same civilized behavior from her as I did our other two. She would need to walk nicely on a leash, to wait at doors and in/out of the car, to let me stick my hand in her food bowl and take toys from her, and to get along with the rest of the pack. And from the moment she came out of the car, her loving instruction began. And a much needed Bath!

Thankfully she was not hand shy, or truly afraid of people. I could give her gentle affectionate thumps and she was fine with it.

photo_6.JPG

She was trying to come out of her play-shell. Jasper kept trying- bless his little furry heart.

And once she got started, she suddenly realized it was SoMuchFun to play!

Monday morning they ran and played in the back yard for about half an hour, tho sadly- our yard is not very big. So- being still early in the morning, I decided to take them to the 'quiet' dog park so they could really cut loose.

:lol:

She kept pestering Jasper to play constantly Monday. Like she was afraid to stop because it might never happen again.

So I decided to make a regular routine of play, each day. So she learns that it is part of our regular routine, so she can relax occasionally. She drove poor JJ to distraction and he finally Snipped at her and told her to "Knock it the heck off!"

It is now Tuesday, and she is doing beautifully. She has learned to wait, beginnings of 'sit,' and is starting to get the hang of our routine. She has her own blanket in the livingroom, her crate is in the bedroom, and the 3 dogs ride comfortably in my Suby wagon to go RUN at the park.

Today, she even met several new dogs at the park, and each time she gets less afraid and more comfortable.

I am so proud of her! :lol:

Fantastic, heartwarming story. I'm so glad Tehya has found a wonderful home and what a marvelous video of the dog park play! She is a lucky pup and I'll bet she knows that right down to her core. Thanks so much to everyone who shared their stories of getting Tehya to her new home. She so very beautiful and it sounds like she's making a super fast recovery. Starghoti, I know you are thrilled. Jasper, keep up the good work on teaching Tehya to be a dog. Keep us posted on her progress, please!

Hooray for Tehya!!! So glad she has a new home!!! The American Indian Dog needs alot of love, attention and EXERCISE...they like to be a part of your life and will bond with you quickly....I found this true with Koda....some of her previous issues were: messing in the crate, did not like being left alone, nipping at a small child...

When her owners brought her to us I think she may have thought it was just a day trip...she was good with Chhaya and they played alot that first day....I took her to the barn with me that first day here with us....she immediately took to everything including getting in the stream!!! She loves the water!!! The second day I crated her for about an hour and a half, increased that day by day....we have no issues with her going potty in her crate, as you see she lays flat out in it Koda_009.jpg...the tug of war that they are doing in the picture just doesn't seem to work yet for them Koda_011.jpg. They did some snapping and growling at each other...when this happened I immediately, firmly laid Koda on her side and said NO that will not be acceptable! (yes I talk to them like I did my girls as they were growing up!) We had a few more slight issues at the beginning and I have just kept play time outside....this works for us. When Linda came with Mal, Snake, and Val, Koda was only here for about 2 months...she was still settling in at that point and didn't understand how Chhaya and Mal rough housed together...she was stressed with all the activity....I did have to put her in that submissive position again a couple times...I will be anxious to see how she will do now that she is settled in more...I think it will be different. Koda and Chhaya chew bones, and other chew toys in the house, they have "their spots". Outside play is frisbee, ball, going on long rides with me and going to the barn. Their play time outside every day...even in the winter is at least 2-4 hours.

I think that Kim is very right as far as... "They need to know their parameters, and are happier when the lines are drawn-rules laid out."

I found the more consistent I was with Koda the more secure she became with us and the more exercise she had the more patient she was with Chhaya.

She doesn't mind being left alone in her crate by Chhaya....actually Chhaya is my talker...she will howl sometimes as we walk out the door and what a howl!!! Koda doesn't make a peep....till we come home...that's when she gets vocal...she hops, barks, hops, barks, runs side by side with Chhaya out the hall...this took time for her to get to know us and bond with us....as she learned that there were things that just weren't acceptable and that we wouldn't give in the more secure she became with us and learned to trust us. It's been almost 7 months now that we have had her....she has never once nipped at a child, seemed stressed about us leaving, and never messes in her crate....I am beginning to understand and realize this breed is so unique and that they need us to be consistent, loving, firm, what's that Kim says ??? "TOUGH LOVE"....and lots of exercise and again "TOUGH LOVE". Once you learn that balance with them they will do anything for you. Koda has become very loving, gentle, quite the frisbee player and will run along side Chhaya as fast as they both can go....will go find Chhaya's frisbee as if to say "here's yours come and get it so we can play side by side!"...will put her nose under Chhaya's and nuzzle her....they lay side by side on our bed and are together all the time and the couch too!! Koda_027.jpg She has been a blessing in our lives....I am forever grateful for the opportunity to adopt her!!!

I hope this will encourage all owners-to-be and those who are adopting to continue to be consistent with the "Tough Love"....it truly works. You will get that love back from them 100 times more than you can ever imagine!!!

PS Koda turns 4 years old tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KODA_067.JPG

Hooray for Tehya!!! So glad she has a new home!!! The American Indian Dog needs alot of love, attention and EXERCISE...they like to be a part of your life and will bond with you quickly....I found this true with Koda....some of her previous issues were: messing in the crate, did not like being left alone, nipping at a small child...

When her owners brought her to us I think she may have thought it was just a day trip...she was good with Chhaya and they played alot that first day....I took her to the barn with me that first day here with us....she immediately took to everything including getting in the stream!!! She loves the water!!! The second day I crated her for about an hour and a half, increased that day by day....we have no issues with her going potty in her crate, as you see she lays flat out in it Koda_009.jpg...the tug of war that they are doing in the picture just doesn't seem to work yet for them Koda_011.jpg. They did some snapping and growling at each other...when this happened I immediately, firmly laid Koda on her side and said NO that will not be acceptable! (yes I talk to them like I did my girls as they were growing up!) We had a few more slight issues at the beginning and I have just kept play time outside....this works for us. When Linda came with Mal, Snake, and Val, Koda was only here for about 2 months...she was still settling in at that point and didn't understand how Chhaya and Mal rough housed together...she was stressed with all the activity....I did have to put her in that submissive position again a couple times...I will be anxious to see how she will do now that she is settled in more...I think it will be different. Koda and Chhaya chew bones, and other chew toys in the house, they have "their spots". Outside play is frisbee, ball, going on long rides with me and going to the barn. Their play time outside every day...even in the winter is at least 2-4 hours.

I think that Kim is very right as far as... "They need to know their parameters, and are happier when the lines are drawn-rules laid out."

I found the more consistent I was with Koda the more secure she became with us and the more exercise she had the more patient she was with Chhaya.

She doesn't mind being left alone in her crate by Chhaya....actually Chhaya is my talker...she will howl sometimes as we walk out the door and what a howl!!! Koda doesn't make a peep....till we come home...that's when she gets vocal...she hops, barks, hops, barks, runs side by side with Chhaya out the hall...this took time for her to get to know us and bond with us....as she learned that there were things that just weren't acceptable and that we wouldn't give in the more secure she became with us and learned to trust us. It's been almost 7 months now that we have had her....she has never once nipped at a child, seemed stressed about us leaving, and never messes in her crate....I am beginning to understand and realize this breed is so unique and that they need us to be consistent, loving, firm, what's that Kim says ??? "TOUGH LOVE"....and lots of exercise and again "TOUGH LOVE". Once you learn that balance with them they will do anything for you. Koda has become very loving, gentle, quite the frisbee player and will run along side Chhaya as fast as they both can go....will go find Chhaya's frisbee as if to say "here's yours come and get it so we can play side by side!"...will put her nose under Chhaya's and nuzzle her....they lay side by side on our bed and are together all the time and the couch too!! Koda_027.jpg She has been a blessing in our lives....I am forever grateful for the opportunity to adopt her!!!

I hope this will encourage all owners-to-be and those who are adopting to continue to be consistent with the "Tough Love"....it truly works. You will get that love back from them 100 times more than you can ever imagine!!!

PS Koda turns 4 years old tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KODA_067.JPG

Happy birthday Koda

I am so proud of her! :lol:

So that's what happened. ...saw this on you tube, or was it face book. :lol: It's hard for me to keep up with all of this stuff, anyway, and I didn't realize who the new pup was. Wow, this is so great. Congratulations Star. This is truly a happy ending. Dog finds perfect family. Love it. :wub: Bless you for stepping up for this gal.

I am so proud of her! :wub:

Wow. Touching. Emotional. Provocative. Insightful. Educational. Sublime & Profound.

I haven't been able to put my mental fingers on why, but, I find myself being very, very proud of Allison and you, Starghoti, as well as The Dogs. And, of course, Kim and us owners...

These dogs are a special breed, in my personal opinion. It takes a special breed of people with inner and outer listening abilities.

I know Draco loves it when we figure out what he's trying to tell us. And when we do, he seems to totally relax into and come out through whatever is happening in the moment.

Thanks Allison and Starghoti. Please keep us informed. I, for one, am hooked.

Just a quick note about her latest achievements.

At the quiet dog park, she is allowing strange dogs much closer to her, and you can see the urge to investigate and play beginning.

I also vacuumed the house today- worked on the premise that she had no prior experience with a vacuum, nor should have any reason to be afraid of one. Neither of my other two care, so neither did she. :wub:

More pictures soon.

The promised pictures, (while dinner is simmering.. lol)

The two 'kids' playing under the Forsythia bush..

And taking a break in the livingroom afterwards.

I gave her the blanket as "her space" and J chose to lay on the floor to keep her company.

I think she is fitting in just fine :wub:

Just a quick note about her latest achievements.

At the quiet dog park, she is allowing strange dogs much closer to her, and you can see the urge to investigate and play beginning.

I also vacuumed the house today- worked on the premise that she had no prior experience with a vacuum, nor should have any reason to be afraid of one. Neither of my other two care, so neither did she. :wub:

More pictures soon.

Great pictures, Star! Quick question, though. Where did you get that beautiful leather/turquoise collar? I've been googling and can't seem to find anything I really like

Great pictures, Star! Quick question, though. Where did you get that beautiful leather/turquoise collar? I've been googling and can't seem to find anything I really like

I got lucky when I randomly went to our local feed store-- someone had put it on consignment, sorry. :wub:

Here are a couple links I came across while looking-

Silver and Turq

Western Theme

CowboyCool

Don't know if any of these help, but some of them are really nice- they just didn't suit Jasper.

..Wait a minute- we need another collar now.. let me go through those links again.. lol

This is such a nice story. Thanks for sharing it.

How big is Tehya? She looks to be a lot bigger than Jasper, at least in the photo in the living room.

This is such a nice story. Thanks for sharing it.

How big is Tehya? She looks to be a lot bigger than Jasper, at least in the photo in the living room.

She is actually about 3/4" shorter and a couple pounds lighter than he is.

I'm so happy. Thanks, Star.

What a lucky dog! She has a great home!!!

Does she happen to be from Shasta and Jay? I have a pup that is also turning one year in a few days and wonder if they may be litter mates - though my Tiva is all yellow.

What a lucky dog! She has a great home!!!

Does she happen to be from Shasta and Jay? I have a pup that is also turning one year in a few days and wonder if they may be litter mates - though my Tiva is all yellow.

No I don't think she is Shasta's pup.

Her birthday is June 9th

Strangely, merely a day after Jasper's LOL

So I tell people they are cousins. :wub:

I'm pretty sure she is one of Peyote's pups.

Kim says he will look it up for me when he gets a chance.

Unless anyone else knows?

I have been thinking about the dogs that we have found new homes for in the last years, since I have been so involved. All of them responded to people who understand this breed, and all have been success stories.

Kim tries to tell people about tough love, and choose owners carefully, but some people just do not understand the role of alpha, and how very important it is to these dogs. They need to know the rules, and who they are to follow--who is their alpha leader. They need attention, training, and want to be with you.

I am so glad that these people remembered their contract to return her. Look at her now. Look at Koda. I could name several others.

Thanks.

No I don't think she is Shasta's pup.

Her birthday is June 9th

Strangely, merely a day after Jasper's LOL

So I tell people they are cousins. :wub:

I'm pretty sure she is one of Peyote's pups.

Kim says he will look it up for me when he gets a chance.

Unless anyone else knows?

Just a quick Tehya update:

This week she has learned about living in a loving and structured home, how to play nicely with other members of her new pack, to stop playing when told to, to walk nicely on a leash with the rest of us, to play tug(!), to bark to alert and defend her new home, to hush her bark when asked to, to ride comfortably loose in the car (and stick her nose out the window!!), to get up on the dog-couch, to stay off the people-couch, to not beg while humans eat, to 'wait' at doors and in/out of the car, to 'sit,' and now we are learning 'down' and 'touch' :) :)

Such a sweet and loving girl! So willing and wanting to learn and try!

I am So proud of her!!

That's outstanding Star. I am so happy for all of you. This is a wonderful success story. Kudos to all. :)