Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

One of the things that I have read about these dogs is that they have a very unique voice (howl, bark etc. I don't know). My Indian dog, Eddy, has never done a howl...ever. He very rarely barks, too. Is this normal behavior for this breed? He is just a very quiet, unexcitable guy since he has grown into adulthood. He didn't even bark much when he was a puppy. I was actually kind of looking forward to hearing this famous howl of theirs but I guess it will never happen for me and Ed...oh, well. Let me know what your dogs do. Does anyone have a video or audio of this howl of theirs? I am just very curious as to what it sounds like.

One of the things that I have read about these dogs is that they have a very unique voice (howl, bark etc. I don't know). My Indian dog, Eddy, has never done a howl...ever. He very rarely barks, too. Is this normal behavior for this breed? He is just a very quiet, unexcitable guy since he has grown into adulthood. He didn't even bark much when he was a puppy. I was actually kind of looking forward to hearing this famous howl of theirs but I guess it will never happen for me and Ed...oh, well. Let me know what your dogs do. Does anyone have a video or audio of this howl of theirs? I am just very curious as to what it sounds like.

oh I wish I could put my viseo of malachi on here you want to talk funny he is a clown he gets a squeeky toy while chewing on it he talks and howls that sound like a cow mooo histerical now when he does it we will howl together snake trying but has not gotten it yet you are blessed not to have a barker these guys hear every sound and responds to it I have been working on the stop comand to shut them up . but I love them with all my heart

Kim says there are dancers and singers. Coyo is definitely a dancer, and Sitka is definitely a singer. He suddenly started howling one day. He howls, howls howls, when the sirens go by. He has almost taught Coyo to howl, but it's as though Coyo has a cold and has lost his voice.

We love it. It's very fun. We all join in the song.

Oh, we have had Coyo sing in sort of a baritone.

Maybe someone will post a link to a video of their dog singing. I know Debi has put up a few, but I can't find them.

My dog is anything but silent and it's been work to get her to not pierce my eardrums every time someone pulls into the driveway. She doesn't howl along with sirens and other dogs, but her bark is very high-pitched and will often start as a long howl. It seems pretty involuntary for her.

I'd count my blessings if I were you. That bark of hers is ear-splitting. It is nothing like the bark of previous dogs I've had. I'm sure it would help if we had lots of sound-absorbing things in the house like carpeting, but those things don't go well with dog hair.

My Hawk who is 6 1/2 howls all the time. It is fun to get him going, we howl together. Sometimes when we are camping I'll get him to howl. I am sure other campers probably think there is a coyote in the camp ground.

He is a barker too. Which like Karen said count your blessings. Sometimes that bark can be annoying. I can hear him bark when I pull in the garage and sometimes he is silent. He loves to bark along with all of the other dogs in the neighborhood.

One thing he doesn't do is bark at other dogs while we are out walking or running at the dog park. He has this look of "what's your problem" to those who bark at him. Why is it the little dogs do most of the barking? I think they have a complex.

My daughters dog Chief, who is also and AID doesn't howl at all. I try and get him to do it but he won't. He doesn't bark much either. They have trained him not too for the most part.

Enjoy the silence!!!!!!

My Indian dog, Eddy, has never done a howl...ever.

It's time to get out the harmonica.....the never fail instrument to teach a dog to howl. Play it softly and use all the notes. After awhile you will hear the different notes that song dogs use. Tolinka will howl at church bells, sirens, and when other dogs howl at the wild animals coming down the river, he definitely joins in. When I howl with him, he looks at me as if to say, "we are on key, can we keep going?" I had a wedding here last summer, and when the ceremony was over, they rang this big old bell that is in the garden, and all three of my dogs howled along with the guests laughing and whooping it up.

That bark of hers is ear-splitting.

Yep, got that one too. fortunately it is only when Tolinka wants to show me something in the garden or wants my attention. The other day he brought a mouse to me on the deck while I was painting. I scooped that poor little thing up and took it deep into the garden and hid it from Tolinka. He was kind of alive and kinda not...the mouse that is. Tolinka went off and came back about 5 minutes later, again with the mouse in his mouth. He placed it gently on the deck, and let out one of those ear splitting barks. I looked at him and said, "o.k., lets go bury the mouse." So off we went , me following him down the path. We got to a spot and he jumped into the back garden, looked at me as if to say, "how about this spot?" I said to him, "perfect." He proceeded to dig a small hole, placed the mouse into it, covered it up with dirt, using his nose, tapped it with his paw, and looked up at me as if to say, "Done." Then he let out a small little woof and jumped back on to the path and off he went.....

The communication of these dogs is crazy outstanding. There are many voice sounds they use, all meaning something different. I talk to Tolinka all the time, and I he to me. There are soft sounds and pitching sounds and anything in between. He is a talker.

Kim says there are dancers and singers.

Allison, talk to us about the dancers.

Interestingly, Ursula only howled with her pups. She would wine to call them, and sometimes sit down and give a full howl. I loved it. Other than that, she is definitely a dancer.

Allison, talk to us about the dancers.

I would call Danza a dancer. (It seems we gave her the right name!) She is very light on her paws and hops around when she is happy or wants to get someone to play with her. She'll pop up on her back legs and wave her front paws around when we are playing. She gets very flirty with our other dog when she's trying to entice him to play, and waves her butt around in his face then spins around to face him.

Does anyone else's dog use their front paws like hands sometimes? She is very adepts with her toes, and likes to grip my finger with them. She is definitely holding my hand. It is very sweet.

Maybe someone will post a link to a video of their dog singing. I know Debi has put up a few, but I can't find them.

My dog is anything but silent and it's been work to get her to not pierce my eardrums every time someone pulls into the driveway. She doesn't howl along with sirens and other dogs, but her bark is very high-pitched and will often start as a long howl. It seems pretty involuntary for her.

I'd count my blessings if I were you. That bark of hers is ear-splitting. It is nothing like the bark of previous dogs I've had. I'm sure it would help if we had lots of sound-absorbing things in the house like carpeting, but those things don't go well with dog hair.

Hey Karen that is what I am talking about snake has a low bark but hears everything and will let you know about it malachi too they actually got my pug doing x urs by 3 thats me

I would call Danza a dancer. (It seems we gave her the right name!) She is very light on her paws and hops around when she is happy or wants to get someone to play with her. She'll pop up on her back legs and wave her front paws around when we are playing. She gets very flirty with our other dog when she's trying to entice him to play, and waves her butt around in his face then spins around to face him.

Does anyone else's dog use their front paws like hands sometimes? She is very adepts with her toes, and likes to grip my finger with them. She is definitely holding my hand. It is very sweet.

whats a dancer?? coyotes are also known as song dogs by the indians so I always they sing

whats a dancer?? coyotes are also known as song dogs by the indians so I always they sing

My lad in his youth (he reached 13 on Tuesday) was always prancing about when he wanted to play or he was about to be given a treat, he has howled but not when I am around, he used to howl when we were both out of the house, the next door neighbour said she used to hear him singing! She said it was lovely! He rarely barks, just a quiet woof usually, but he can bark with a sharp tone occasionally.

So if you haven't heard him howl it don't mean he hasn't!

I guess Jas is weird.. lol (go figure)

He is both a Barker (but not singer- yet- thank the stars!) AND a dancer! (and jumper and runner and spinner.. lol)

Wow. well I consider myself lucky then. I suppose he could howl when I'm not home, but in my house it's rare that nobody is home. The next time we are all gone, I will set up my audio recorder to see if he does or not. It will be an interesting experiment.

River rarely howls but he talks alot and barks loudly at things he is not use to... This is hes first summer and has seen much... bugs, trutles, snakes, ticks, toads, squirrels, birds and tree frogs.. He is funny to watch him with these critters hes scared but yet he wont back down he barks until I investigate what hes barking at and then hes fine...

Ah - Soul is a star on Facebook and YouTube - LOL...

Here is the link to the newest one:

! (Brian, Briana, & Soul). Yes, we are a strange bunch! :-) ...I had to laugh, as I was finding this one to upload to YouTube - Soul started singing to himself as the vid played in the background...he's definitely a singer. He dances too - but he loves to sing along to the harmonica!

Here is the one of him singing

...after he falls over - he stops singing! LOL...

There are more of him singing on the YouTube account - but these two are the newest ones. He even sings when he's upset with his girlfriend (see the vid - Punkin Protects the Couch). Enjoy!

Wow. Thank you for that. That was really cool. Almost wild-like in a way. I guess it is a pretty unique "voice" for a domestic dog. Not even a husky sounds quite like that.

Somewhere on here there is a thread about the first time we heard him do this. He was about 5 months old and my husband had a gig that I couldn't attend so I stayed home alone with Soul. He kept going to our roadside door, so I put him on his lead and took him out...he got to the middle of the sidewalk and there was an eerie howl across the road in the woods.

Soul did a dead stop, put his paw up (typical AI stance), and then threw his head back and howled really guttural...he then started bumping my legs and pushing me back toward the house. He continued to sit down and howl a few more times and that was that...I hauled tail into the house...

It is the general consensus that there were coyotes across the street and his little butt was telling them "stay away" and then trying to keep me safe. He now howls all the time - when scared, aggravated, being funny, to sing, to get my attention, and when he's mad. Each howl has its own distinct tone and cadence. But we haven't heard him howl like that first time again...made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!!

:lol::D Star, I played your you Tube vid, and Tolinka picked up on it right away and sang along with Jas, even to matching Jas in pitch and tone. It's Sunday morning, so the church bells are next for the howling sing along here at my home. I just Love it. :rolleyes:

I do believe Tolinka is a dancer as well. Very light on his feet, uses them like a cat to hold items in the air while lying on his back, hops/jumps like a kangaroo, spins when ecstatically happy, prancing in his normal gate. I love to watch him. He is a beautiful mover regardless of which gear he is in.

When I played those videos, Ed was laying at my feet and I was willing him to start singing along...he just layed there and ignored the whole thing as if he did'nt even hear it. He did'nt even look up with a recognition of the voices or a "what is that" curiosity. Do these dogs recognise the voices and/or images of their own breed? He reminds me of an old man who is indifferent to the world. Oh well, I would'nt trade him for the world. He is a pretty cool dog.

When I played those videos, Ed ...he just layed there and ignored the whole thing as if he did'nt even hear it. He did'nt even look up with a recognition of the voices or a "what is that" curiosity. Do these dogs recognise the voices and/or images of their own breed?

Danza is indifferent to the sounds of the dogs howling, too. But if an animal makes noise on the TV, which has a much better sound system than my computer, she reacts differently.

I don't know if she "recognizes" her breed, but she is pretty free with them. She's friendly and interested in most dogs, but she seems more herself with other AIDs. It may just be because they are more "dog-y" than most other dogs, though, and she responds well to that. Her packmate is nothing like her, and she thinks he hung the moon, so she isn't snobbish about it.

:lol::D Star, I played your you Tube vid, and Tolinka picked up on it right away and sang along with Jas, even to matching Jas in pitch and tone. It's Sunday morning, so the church bells are next for the howling sing along here at my home. I just Love it. :rolleyes:

I do believe Tolinka is a dancer as well. Very light on his feet, uses them like a cat to hold items in the air while lying on his back, hops/jumps like a kangaroo, spins when ecstatically happy, prancing in his normal gate. I love to watch him. He is a beautiful mover regardless of which gear he is in.

I think you mean Debi and Soul.. Jas isn't a singer... :D

Lol

I think you mean Debi and Soul.. Jas isn't a singer... :lol:

Lol

OOPS.......... :rolleyes:

OOPS.......... :rolleyes:

NP- just clarifying so others don't get confused, or think they somehow missed something.. :lol:

Our neighbor told us this weekend that the week the pup went, during the day when I had to go to work and Peter was out of town, Ursula sat in the yard and howled. They said she sounded so sad, trying to call her pups and her people. Their dog, a little long-haired fluffy maltese/shi tzu boy who Ursula usually picks on, actually came around to our yard to comfort her, and it seemed to work.

[quote Does anyone else's dog use their front paws like hands sometimes? She is very adepts with her toes, and likes to grip my finger with them. She is definitely holding my hand. It is very sweet.

I love looking at Draco and Rocco's feet. I mentioned this weekend to everyone how adept they both are with their "arms". When they wrestle, they will jump up and almost give a headlock and a judo flip to bring the other dog down. Wonderful!!

But, specifically their paws... so beautiful. My Mom would have said they were piano player's fingers -- meaning long & graceful.

I love watching as Draco falls asleep. When they are in the right position, I can see when he goes "out" because his rigid feet will simply relax, as if he's pulled his control of them. Like a puppet suddenly without it's strings, the feet just flop.

Thanks for mentioning this.