Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Observation Friendship

This Christmas season, my son arrived with his pup that had a major slice on his foot pad. Big huge bandage, sock over bandage and plastic bag over sock (for when he went outside). (He is o.k.) Now here are two dogs that are full grown pups 1 year old, and 1 1/2 years old with more energy than a barrel of monkeys. Normally when these two get together there is BIG puppy play, rough housing, and racing around like crazy everywhere 24 / 7. We were all facinated that Tolinka immediately picked up on the problem upon Finn's arrival. What happened next was totally endearing. Tolinka would bring a chew toy to his best friend, lie next to him and offer to share. Finn took him up on the offer and they would chew together, passing it back and fourth, do very soft gentle tug-o-war, they even pass real bones back and fourth, and chew on them at the same time. Anything that was offered was shared between these two. They have been giving each other dog hugs, and staying real quiet. The only time they haven't been joined at the hip is at bed time. This has been going on constantly for three days now, with out raising the level of activity. Tolinka, has been distracting Finn from chewing his bandages, and when needed, has gently positioned himself on Finns leg so that bandages could NOT be chewed. Watching the two interact on this level is a beautiful thing. :lol:

This morning, both dogs are ready to play as usual........things are healing. :wub:

Have a great day everyone and take great care of your 4 legged friends....they very are special.

Aww that is so sweet!!! Isn't it amazing how they "just know"!!!? The fact that Tolinka positioned himself over Finn's paw so he couldn't chew the bandage tells how intelligent these dogs are!

Yesterday Chhaya tore her toenail off...it's not bad, but I had to cut off the part of the nail that was hanging there. She wasn't crazy about it....when it off it wasn't really bleeding, but just seeping a little blood. So I soaked her paw and then put ointment on it and put a clean bandage around it and wrapped it with Vet Wrap. She was so calm and patient till I got it all done. I believe she honestly knew I was helping her! I thought she would try to chew the bandage off but she's didn't!

Vet Wrap is a wrap that you can put around a bandage to keep it in place without tape....wonderful stuff and a must for any animal owner! We use it when our horses have a wound...you can get it at any Tack Shop or through Valley Vet or we have a Tractor Supply store here in PA we get it at.

Miz Molly you may want to pass the info about the Vet Wrap to your son. When we have to wrap one of the horses hooves for something we put the bandage on, wrap it with Vet Wrap then my brother in law will put duct tape on the bottom to keep it from getting wet so they can still be out in the pasture....thought this might be easier than the plastic bag....one of the 101 uses for "duct tape"! Haha!

That is so awesome- both of your stories are great.

I too have a story.

Over the weekend Jasper developed a noticeable eye infection- chalk it up to Holidays/Kids combo.

Hubby and I thought it might be something in his eye. So we got the contact lens solution and tried washing his eye out. He stood still, calm and patient, while we did it. And even made happy-danse puppy thank you's when we were done.

These dogs are so amazing. How smart and intuitive they are is mind boggling!

Aww that is so sweet!!! Isn't it amazing how they "just know"!!!? The fact that Tolinka positioned himself over Finn's paw so he couldn't chew the bandage tells how intelligent these dogs are!

Yesterday Chhaya tore her toenail off...it's not bad, but I had to cut off the part of the nail that was hanging there. She wasn't crazy about it....when it off it wasn't really bleeding, but just seeping a little blood. So I soaked her paw and then put ointment on it and put a clean bandage around it and wrapped it with Vet Wrap. She was so calm and patient till I got it all done. I believe she honestly knew I was helping her! I thought she would try to chew the bandage off but she's didn't!

Vet Wrap is a wrap that you can put around a bandage to keep it in place without tape....wonderful stuff and a must for any animal owner! We use it when our horses have a wound...you can get it at any Tack Shop or through Valley Vet or we have a Tractor Supply store here in PA we get it at.

Miz Molly you may want to pass the info about the Vet Wrap to your son. When we have to wrap one of the horses hooves for something we put the bandage on, wrap it with Vet Wrap then my brother in law will put duct tape on the bottom to keep it from getting wet so they can still be out in the pasture....thought this might be easier than the plastic bag....one of the 101 uses for "duct tape"! Haha!

Hey maria, thanks for the heads up on "vet wrap." I will definitely tell my son about it and get some today. You are right, it sounds lots better than plastic bags and socks. I'm sure we will both purchase vet wrap just to have it on hand. And yes, duct tape is the best staple in the house along side of wd40. They are both fix all's. Thanks again.

thats so awsome these dogs blow my mine all the time .

This Christmas season, my son arrived with his pup that had a major slice on his foot pad. Big huge bandage, sock over bandage and plastic bag over sock (for when he went outside). (He is o.k.) Now here are two dogs that are full grown pups 1 year old, and 1 1/2 years old with more energy than a barrel of monkeys. Normally when these two get together there is BIG puppy play, rough housing, and racing around like crazy everywhere 24 / 7. We were all facinated that Tolinka immediately picked up on the problem upon Finn's arrival. What happened next was totally endearing. Tolinka would bring a chew toy to his best friend, lie next to him and offer to share. Finn took him up on the offer and they would chew together, passing it back and fourth, do very soft gentle tug-o-war, they even pass real bones back and fourth, and chew on them at the same time. Anything that was offered was shared between these two. They have been giving each other dog hugs, and staying real quiet. The only time they haven't been joined at the hip is at bed time. This has been going on constantly for three days now, with out raising the level of activity. Tolinka, has been distracting Finn from chewing his bandages, and when needed, has gently positioned himself on Finns leg so that bandages could NOT be chewed. Watching the two interact on this level is a beautiful thing. :D

This morning, both dogs are ready to play as usual........things are healing. :D

Have a great day everyone and take great care of your 4 legged friends....they very are special.

What a wonderful story...warms my heart! Tolinka definitely has that soul that we are all aware of in our pack members! Thanks for a great "holiday" story, Molly!

This Christmas season, my son arrived with his pup that had a major slice on his foot pad. Big huge bandage, sock over bandage and plastic bag over sock (for when he went outside). (He is o.k.) Now here are two dogs that are full grown pups 1 year old, and 1 1/2 years old with more energy than a barrel of monkeys. Normally when these two get together there is BIG puppy play, rough housing, and racing around like crazy everywhere 24 / 7. We were all facinated that Tolinka immediately picked up on the problem upon Finn's arrival. What happened next was totally endearing. Tolinka would bring a chew toy to his best friend, lie next to him and offer to share. Finn took him up on the offer and they would chew together, passing it back and fourth, do very soft gentle tug-o-war, they even pass real bones back and fourth, and chew on them at the same time. Anything that was offered was shared between these two. They have been giving each other dog hugs, and staying real quiet. The only time they haven't been joined at the hip is at bed time. This has been going on constantly for three days now, with out raising the level of activity. Tolinka, has been distracting Finn from chewing his bandages, and when needed, has gently positioned himself on Finns leg so that bandages could NOT be chewed. Watching the two interact on this level is a beautiful thing. :D

This morning, both dogs are ready to play as usual........things are healing. :D

• 3 weeks later...