Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

We're Baaaaaacccckkk!

Hello all!

I just spent awhile catching up on everything; missed everyone who isn't on Facebook!

So, update on us!

Soul is doing great. Brian now has him trained to listen to "boundary", "Poppa's", and "house". Soul works well with Brian and listens intently, never leaving his side when off leash. With me, well so-so. I'm getting braver, but the panic that he will jet off toward the road has me too nervous to be out with him long if he's loose.

I've been MIA here (but active on Facebook-c'mon over to the darkside) due to overwhelming schedule and completion of my dissertation. I will be conferring my Ph.D in late November and walking in March. Graduation is being held in New Orleans - cannot wait!

Family is all good; except not looking forward to winter. The decision was made (thank you, Starghoti) that we will be relocating after Briana graduates (she's a freshman) to somewhere that has 3 seasons and little to no snow...and ....drumroll...we're headed WEST! Following the Oregon trail...and landing in the Eugene area. We have started to look for houses and (fate permitting), should be traveling the countryside next summer to see if its a definitive fit. (Although I'd move out there sight unseen due to Anna's persistence and awesome photo tour). Hubby says we have to check it out first! University of Oregon has a DVM program and Briana wants to check it out; I have laptop, can work anywhere - hubby likes that he may be able to ride 10 outta 12 months. I love it all! So - soon!!!

Well, back to the grindstone, have some edits to do on the dissertation beast and papers to grade! Hope everyone is doing well...and Soul says I have to post his newest pics (by the way, he too has a Facebook page and has great conversations with Running Cloud and his bud, Jasper "JJ" Jay-Feathers...Allison, the dogs have Facebook pages, c'mon...we have cookies).

So, here is our not so little guy in his glory! The last pic? He's a Hallowcreme Pumpkin "crackhead"...I had the bag next to the computer! LOL...

P1170205.JPG

P1170211.JPG

P1170219.JPG

He doesn't look very large in those pictures, but I remember some by the frozen lake, where he looked long and lanky.

So glad to hear you are considering a move to the west! That would be spectacular!

Hate to say it, U of O / Lane CC has a good pre-vet, but the motherload of DVM programs is at OSU in Corvallis (an hour away)

So you could live here and be at/around Eugene UO campus and insane lib-hippy-folk and larger town/resources, and she could commute and/or live on campus in Corvallis, and learn self-ness and responsibility :D

Oh, and another lovely area to check out is the Lorane Hwy area S.SW of Eugene.

And that 3rd pic of Soul- should be captioned "Leggs Malone!" lol

Edited by Starghoti

side note - we checked out both schools when we were up in Oregon this past June. We have friends in Corvallis so spent some time there...very nice place.

He doesn't look very large in those pictures, but I remember some by the frozen lake, where he looked long and lanky.

So glad to hear you are considering a move to the west! That would be spectacular!

Considering? Hell, in my mind, our bags are packed and the house is on the market! LOL!

As for the lankiness...he's still lanky...I forget, you don't get his updated pics (due to lack of Facebook in your household).

Will post "lanky" ones later...on the wrong computer!

Those are some great shots of Soul, Debi....Love the one curled up like a ball in the camp chair. :D I just can't get over how their expressions are soooo captivating. Thanks for sharing. It looks like you all had a fabulous time. Here's to a great "fall season."

I cracked up over the one where he was looking over the shoulder of....your friend? Blonde gal?

I have felt that and seen that one so many times. Thanks.

Can he get any smaller, in those curled up sleeping photos?

• 2 weeks later...

He can get so small he fits on my lap...thank goodness...b/c he does sleep in bed between Brian and I! LOL...

The girl in the photo is "his Ayana". She's our daughters best friend and has been camping with us now two years in a row...and she loves Soul. Our first trip with her was last year and his first trip. They were inseparable. Our trip this year...well the girls are 15 now and really didn't want a dog tagging along as they flirted with the boys at the playground (although I tried to tell them he was a boy magnet hahahahaha)...so he cried each time they left the campgrounds. This was his greeting to her the first morning...he would not get off her lap! Not even for bacon!!!

Soul has now advanced to being able to be off leash in our back yard and it has been GREAT! We are playing frisbee, jumping agility sticks, chasing birds, and being VERY well behaved. He stops when told, comes on command and always looks over his shoulder if he gets too far ahead. YES!!! And he isn't even two yet!!!

I cracked up over the one where he was looking over the shoulder of....your friend? Blonde gal?

I have felt that and seen that one so many times. Thanks.

Can he get any smaller, in those curled up sleeping photos?

Woohoo for the advance to off-leash! Yay!!

It's funny about the expressions. We had dinner guests last night, and Jas gave Trevor the funniest look.. "Why you lets all dose people eats before yous? Whassup Wi Dat??"

That boy has some of the most bizarre expressions I have ever seen on a pup. LOL

...and his voice is REALLY cute too! LOL...for those of you who aren't on Facebook - Jas (or JJ as Soul calls him) and Soul have their own pages...and Jas "talks" just like he looks...it is adorable (and no, we are not crazy - the pups were in demand, so we created their pages)!

And yes!!! Off -leash is good...BUT...today Brian turned his back for a second and Soul ran off the shoreline into the ...lowered channel...into 3 foot deep muck!! LMAO...needless to say, the hubby had to give Soul a little outdoor bath! Hee hee...gotta train the hubby!

Woohoo for the advance to off-leash! Yay!!

It's funny about the expressions. We had dinner guests last night, and Jas gave Trevor the funniest look.. "Why you lets all dose people eats before yous? Whassup Wi Dat??"

That boy has some of the most bizarre expressions I have ever seen on a pup. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

OMG...I wish I had at least two more hours a day to stay up to date with the forum! LOL

Soul and I are preparing to go on sabbatical today. We have found a very dog friendly cottage rental close to Lake Michigan and we leave for a 5 day trip around noon. I have to finish this dissertation before my hubby kills me or I commit hari-kari on my committee; so 5 days with nothing but the outdoors and my muse (that would be Soul).

I thought I would check in and say "HEY" and let everyone know we are still alive...just busy as all get out. I have narrowed my work down to two jobs and started designing online classes for our local teacher's college last month...I love it!

Also - just to let my Western friends know (yes, Ms. Starghoti had a hand in this)...we made it official yesterday...we are leaving the state of Michigan in exactly 3 years and 6 months - Oregon bound. We talked it over seriously and the hubby has decided that the Eugene area is where we will settle. Thanks to Starghoti, we have an awesome Realtor! If anyone hears of 4 or more acres for sale in that area (with or without the house), please let us know! We want room for Soul to run and for us to explore! I am very excited and cannot wait (but have to so kiddo can graduate with her class)!

Here are two of the latest pics from Soul...his markings are very clear in the 2nd one! Allison...the first one (although he was squinting) shows his ^o^ eyebrows! LOL

Hope everyone is doing good! I love seeing the updated photos of the newest pups!

soul_squinty.jpg

Soul_Waves.jpg

Edited by Debi

Oh! I see.

Blame me will ya??

LOL

We will love to have you on our side of the continent!

We will love to have you on our side of the continent!

After looking at the pics that Starghoti has sent us, talking to others that live there, and doing massive searches on the area; I am sure we are going to love being over there!

On a different note, today the "retreat" cottages filled up with canines and their humans. One particular golden lab has driven Soul crazy as she totally ignores his advances. It is very funny to see him try. I turned my back for 5 seconds a few minutes ago and the lab and her human went by the window...this is what resulted, and yes...he was stuck; I had to help him down.

Soul_stretch.jpg

He is beautiful! I love that pose.

You will love it out here in Oregon. Best place around.

Where do you live at here in Oregon?

We live in Monmouth, just a short 15 min. west of Salem.

LOL

just call him "Matt"

Where do you live at here in Oregon?

We live in Monmouth, just a short 15 min. west of Salem.

We live in Creswell which is about 20 miles south of Eugene