Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Australian Cattle Dog

when i was at beervelde yesterday, i met this man with a 4 months old australian cattle dog, my he was so cute, and a brave boy to ,even snapped at kaya

does anyone know anything about an acd?

from what the man told, the character was a bit simular to the aid, at least i recogniced a lot of it

gea

when i was at beervelde yesterday, i met this man with a 4 months old australian cattle dog, my he was so cute, and a brave boy to ,even snapped at kaya

from what the man told, the character was a bit simular to the aid, at least i recogniced a lot of it

gea

Serious herding dogs. Used to be very intelligent, but now that they are so popular, that will probably change. We know quite a few. Thought about one of those, but then I found AI Dogs. The cattledogs can be a bit overfocused for my taste. But they might be so focused on the owner, that they will follow him anywhere, without a leash, and do anything for him.

Most everything I have read and seen, does point to similarities in the breeds, although they seem to have an overabundance of herding instinct, and less of the all-around dog of the AIDog. But I guess that's why they call them cattledogs.

Kim could tell us more, I am sure. We have also met a Cattledog pup, and I agree, they were sooooo cute--mini-tough guys. They also require a strong hand.

thanks for the info allison

from what i have read an acd has dingo in its genes, and the aid has coyote,so thats a difference,but the characters come close.

guess my house is to small,for all the dogs i like, also like a working australian sheppard

gea

right, another good one. Yes, I know what you mean about all the dogs. I heard some folks at the dog park, talking, one day. They were saying, "You know you're getting old, when you're on your 5th dog."

I wish I could live that long, to have 5 dogs, but I think I started too late. Maybe some vitamins.......

right, another good one. Yes, I know what you mean about all the dogs. I heard some folks at the dog park, talking, one day. They were saying, "You know you're getting old, when you're on your 5th dog."

I wish I could live that long, to have 5 dogs, but I think I started too late. Maybe some vitamins.......

Well when you have enough space take 5 dogs or more then you'll make it.

when I counted the dogs we had when I lived at my parents there I already had 3 dogs of my own.

So Mika is the 5th dog, ("oh my god I'm getting old") :blink:

Hahahaha. Wait! That means I'm still young! I love this new accounting system!

Hahahaha. Wait! That means I'm still young! I love this new accounting system!

dont like that system, kaya is my own 8 dog

my first was a fox terrier, then 2 and 3 where bouviers, 4 a malamute, 5 ,6,7, jack russels and kaya is 8,and then i didn't even counted the dogs when i lived with my parents.

this is not good,the system, must make me a hundred years already

gea

my first was a fox terrier, then 2 and 3 where bouviers, 4 a malamute, 5 ,6,7, jack russels and kaya is 8,and then i didn't even counted the dogs when i lived with my parents.

gea

Well you're just as old as you feel, but if you count with this new accounting system, how old does that makes a breeder they have a lot of dogs ?

Don't think its a good accounting system Allison, but we had a good laugh

gea

Hi Gea,

Lily_of_the_desert.jpg

gea

Hi Gea, It's Mercy, sorry I accidently sent that last post before I was done. I sent a picture of my dog Lillith Black Moon, aka. Lily!

She's a rare breed of Cattle dog, not what you'd normally see called as an Austrailian Cattle Dog, but a Cousin called a Stumpy-tailed Cattle Dog.

She was the original cattle dog, bred with dingo and some kind of terrior, I can look it up, but it's true, the dogs have probably changed as AKC gets a hold of them. I don't know if they are AKC or not, but my dog isn't. She, like the Indian Dogs, belongs to an association in Austraila, not reckonized by AKC.

they are also known as "Timmins Biters" and maybe "blue or red healers."

Lily is a blue merle with yellow eyes. I don't know where the yellow eyes come from, they were blue when she was a puppy. I think the breed usually has dark eyes, not sure.

She's built like a like a ton of bricks, she's smaller than my elegant Littlestar, but has a good ten pounds on her. She can turn on a dime, she can scale a mountain of rock like a mountain goat, and she's totally obedient. They are a lot like the A.I.D.'s, only the A.I.D.s have a lot more personality, I think, in a lot of ways, a lot of people call Lily the little Buddha dog, she's completely calm, and placid, she is suspicious of strangers and shy of people at first, but then fine, she's a watch dog but Littlestar is Alpha. Littlestar will be outside guarding the property, and Lily has to be near me.

They are super smart. I've noticed her temperment to be exactly like I've heard described on the internet and then, also, from owners, I was once on a "Stumpy" group. These dogs are silent workers, she rarely barks unless provoked. She was trained so easily, I didn't even know I did it.

She was a rescue dog, kind of dropped out of the sky, just for us. She is super, super heat tolerent, she suns herselfs on the super hot days, I've heard that is why they bred them with Dingo, and she looks a lot like a dingo, only different coloring. I can send some more info.

The other cattledogs I've seen, are a lot more like border collies, and more hyper, but dont really know a lot about them.

that's my two cents

Mercy

gea

Don't worry the dogs will keep you young.

Thanks, Mercy, and Stunning picture!

You know I have seen these dogs, actually working cattle, and it is amazing, truly-- the subtle communication between handler and dog, and all the tasks performed perfectly, casually.

That's what we strive for in our hunting/tracking, but it is more a game for us. I envy those people who get to actually WORK with their dog. The dogs love it so, and rise to the occasion.

Interesting about the heat tolerance. The surefootedness, I hadn't thought of, but of course it would be totally necessary--lots of sheep. Love that image of climbing a rock face.

I think Coyo might climb up, but I don't expect he he would be too happy about getting down.

Hi Gea, It's Mercy, sorry I accidently sent that last post before I was done. I sent a picture of my dog Lillith Black Moon, aka. Lily!

She's a rare breed of Cattle dog, not what you'd normally see called as an Austrailian Cattle Dog, but a Cousin called a Stumpy-tailed Cattle Dog.

She was the original cattle dog, bred with dingo and some kind of terrior, I can look it up, but it's true, the dogs have probably changed as AKC gets a hold of them. I don't know if they are AKC or not, but my dog isn't. She, like the Indian Dogs, belongs to an association in Austraila, not reckonized by AKC.

they are also known as "Timmins Biters" and maybe "blue or red healers."

Lily is a blue merle with yellow eyes. I don't know where the yellow eyes come from, they were blue when she was a puppy. I think the breed usually has dark eyes, not sure.

She's built like a like a ton of bricks, she's smaller than my elegant Littlestar, but has a good ten pounds on her. She can turn on a dime, she can scale a mountain of rock like a mountain goat, and she's totally obedient. They are a lot like the A.I.D.'s, only the A.I.D.s have a lot more personality, I think, in a lot of ways, a lot of people call Lily the little Buddha dog, she's completely calm, and placid, she is suspicious of strangers and shy of people at first, but then fine, she's a watch dog but Littlestar is Alpha. Littlestar will be outside guarding the property, and Lily has to be near me.

They are super smart. I've noticed her temperment to be exactly like I've heard described on the internet and then, also, from owners, I was once on a "Stumpy" group. These dogs are silent workers, she rarely barks unless provoked. She was trained so easily, I didn't even know I did it.

She was a rescue dog, kind of dropped out of the sky, just for us. She is super, super heat tolerent, she suns herselfs on the super hot days, I've heard that is why they bred them with Dingo, and she looks a lot like a dingo, only different coloring. I can send some more info.

The other cattledogs I've seen, are a lot more like border collies, and more hyper, but dont really know a lot about them.

that's my two cents

Mercy

hi mercy, she is so beautifull, always thought when you talked about lilstar that it was a aid, see now its you akd, really fell in love with that puppy yesterday, sooo cute, but i already have two dogs, thats the limit my husband says, and i have a lot of work with kaya,so have no time right now, but who knows in the future,very nice dogs those cattle dogs

thanks for explaining her personility,seems alright with me,

gea

Don't worry the dogs will keep you young.

You know in America, we hear often, that dogs make people live longer. They tell us about companionship, love, etc., etc. I always wonder why they don't bring up the fact that they keep us walking--I think it's the exercise.

no couch potatoes. :rolleyes:

We also hear, that people grow to look like their dogs. Another good reason not to overfeed your dog. :lol:

check this out

You know in America, we hear often, that dogs make people live longer. They tell us about companionship, love, etc., etc. I always wonder why they don't bring up the fact that they keep us walking--I think it's the exercise.

We also hear, that people grow to look like their dogs. Another good reason not to overfeed your dog. :lol:

check this out

that last picture is a blast, like that

gea

and a brave boy to ,even snapped at kaya

gea

Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog

BACKGROUND

The Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog breed began evolving in the early 1830s because of the need for a dog that could work cattle in Australia's very harsh environment. The breed that we see today is the result of many years of careful thought and selective breeding by dedicated people. Three breeds of dog went into the making of the "Stumpy". First there was the crossing of the Dingo with an English breed of dog called the Smithfield (these dogs were naturally bob-tailed) which is where the gene comes from that is still present in the Stumpy today. Then the progeny from these matings were crossed with the smooth coated blue merle Collie (commonly referred to today as the German Coolie) and so a breed of dog was born that cattlemen, then and today, swear is the best working dog in the world.

AVERAGE LIFESPAN

Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs can live up to 15 years of age.

AVERAGE SIZE & WEIGHT

43cm to 51cm

18kg to 22kg

BREED PERSONALITY, CHARACTERISTICS & TEMPERAMENT

The Stumpy is a loyal, courageous and devoted animal that possesses natural aptitude in the working and control of cattle. It is suspicious of strangers and will protect its family and possessions with its life. It is not an aggressive dog but if pushed will not back down without a fight.

Mercy, I had heard they require a strong hand, but you said you trained Lily, without even knowing it. Did you already have other dogs when she joined the family?

gea

Gea,

just wanted to say that I don't want to take up too much room on this site talking about the cattledogs, but I posted some more superficial stuff, just to distinquish the breed from the ACD, but they are close cousins. Many people believe The Australian Cattle Dog is comprised of the following breeds of dogs.... Smooth Haired Blue Merle Collie,Dingo,Dalmation,Black & Tan Kelpie. I think Kim probably knows about Cattledogs, he's given me some information, too, and also knows about Dingo,and from what I have seen, they is a big difference Coyote versus Dingo.

Coyotes are not known as Trickers for nothing!

The Indian Dogs are unique in ways undescribable.

!

I see the Cattle dog as a thinking/herding breed and that is where they are similar, also in their loyalty. I think that the Kelpies are cool dogs and probably fall into this catagory, more primitive, working dogs, and they look so much like some of the Indian dogs.

I love studying dogs, esp. these types of breeds, the more rare breeds that are suposedly hard to handle.

Allison, as far as my training of Lily goes. I guess I tend to think of myself as a "natural" when it comes to dog training. In the past I've had people with "problem" dogs, and been able to pretty much cure any type of thing that came along. I was the type of person people would bring their dogs to.

But then I got Littlestar, lol, and she taught me a thing or two about training, as well, she really had more of a complex personality that any other dog, and a lot of wild in her, as she is an alpha girl. So by the time I rescued Lily, I had been working with Littlestar and becoming more aware of what it means to THINK like a dog, and learning more of their body language and stuff like that, learning more what it's like in the pack. She was like the highly intelligent child you don't let down your guard with.

She I just did what I did with her, and with all my dogs, and I've always had a tough love approach, having raised four sons and my two brothers and a couple of foster kids and latch key kids, to boot.

So maybe it was just a natural thing for me, and she wasn't alpha, because Littlestar was, so that helps, too. but for a cattle dog, or her, at least, her main thing was to please me, just pretty much coined what she's like in your post. I think you were right on the money.

The lady who had her picked her up as a stray and she had been on her own a long while, and it took her many days to catch her, and she had constant problems with her.

I couldnt believe she just gave her away, she's like a $2K dog, but she foresaw problems, I guess. I didn't have those problems, what can I say. I'm one alpha bitch, but that mean everything with love, respect for the dog, respect for myself, and then the most important thing, being a good pack leader, bonding with your dog, being an interesting pack leader, taking them places, teaching them, exercising them is top priority, they don't want to sit all day, and giving them a reason to respect you and love you and want to please you, or impress you. All common sense, I guess.

But Kim and you all have helped me a lot with some trainging issues during that time, I don't have the perfectly trained dogs as far as recall, that's the only thing, but then where and how we live, I don't really have the oppourtunity for it. that's all I'll say, already taking up to much space.

love mercy

No please, you may take all the room you want. Also, really well said, your stance about tough love, pack leader, and all the things we have to be and do to bring out the best in our dogs. That's the journey, isn't it--becoming a pack leader.

I like what you said, Kim says this often, too, about these dogs teaching us to think like dogs. (And forcing us to be leaders).

I don't have any of your good experience, though. No kids, and this is my first dog. Poor Coyo. But we are stumbling along with the Natural Method, and common sense that you describe, and we are teaching each other.

Good to know there is another alpha online. We've got a few now. Those sorts of issues are sometimes difficult for new owners to talk about. I meant the dogs,...being alpha... Heck this entire board is practically all alpha humans! :rolleyes:

check this out

Just remember, it is a well known scientific fact that husbands prematurely age their wives.

[

I don't have any of your good experience, though. No kids, and this is my first dog. Poor Coyo. But we are stumbling along with the Natural Method, and common sense that you describe, and we are teaching each other.

Good to know there is another alpha online. We've got a few now. Those sorts of issues are sometimes difficult for new owners to talk about. I meant the dogs,...being alpha... Heck this entire board is practically all alpha humans! :rolleyes:

Well it sounds like you've got it handled. I guess if we don't know it, they teach us real quick!

• 2 years later...
I'm one alpha bitch, but that mean everything with love, respect for the dog, respect for myself, and then the most important thing, being a good pack leader, bonding with your dog, being an interesting pack leader, taking them places, teaching them, exercising them is top priority, they don't want to sit all day, and giving them a reason to respect you and love you and want to please you, or impress you. All common sense, I guess.

But Kim and you all have helped me a lot with some trainging issues during that time, I don't have the perfectly trained dogs as far as recall, that's the only thing, but then where and how we live, I don't really have the oppourtunity for it. that's all I'll say, already taking up to much space.

love mercy

Since this entire forum is rather slow I have been reading through it and had to revive this thread.

Mercy,well said I laughed out loud tho it's true it sounds funny. I loved your verbage so much I copyed it to my wife. I think she can relate Bwahahaha. When you are comfortable in your own skin the dogs definately know it. Your Lily was one of many dogs I was researching before I decided on a AIDog. However I sure am impressed by them.

beautiful dog! With so many great dogs really makes you wanna have a ton of land and actually have a pack running around.