Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Soul's First Swim (on Purpose)

Here are a few pics from Soul's first "real" swim off the pontoon! I say "on purpose" and "real" as on Day 2 of his life in his new home, he rolled down the hill and into the lake before I could catch him. I have never laughed so hard - poor baby.

But today we took him out on the pontoon (which he loves) and he got his first taste of swimming in the "big" lake! Here are the pics - and yes - he was as frightened as he looks! And the last picture...that is his "I am so going to pay you back later" look!

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

Oh that last one is awesome.

I can think or 5 or 6 great captions for that one.

My dogs are both great swimmers...he'll get it.

-G

Bwahahaha, Gavin! Yeah - we've come up with a few of them. He was SO ticked off at me!

We figure we're going to take him in as much as possible. Next week he gets a doggie life jacket that we can harness (back hook)...he took off on the first attempt and in a panic got confused - hence the leash in the water!

That is seriously funny. Right. You are going to pay for that! Cool, though, that you got in with him. Very nice. Pretty soon he'll be pushing you into the water!

Lovely pictures !

Oh how he changed a lot allready ! Those ears and that look in the last picture! Great shot !

Thanks, Sandra! He has changed a lot. We are constantly amazed when we look back at the vids and pics - as seeing every day we don't notice it as much!

He weighs in now at 12.7 pounds (Brian says we need to walk more - dog is getting chubby...yea right) and I think most of that is his ears! They are sooooo big!! LMAO - the look is one I get when he is not happy with me. I just got a minute ago b/c he got in trouble for chasing the cat up onto the kitchen table (yes...he followed via the chair - I swear - Kim crossbred my pup with a monkey!)...

That is seriously funny. Right. You are going to pay for that! Cool, though, that you got in with him. Very nice. Pretty soon he'll be pushing you into the water!

Brian got in with him first (he's always the first one in off the boat) and that is when Soul went berserk and swam circles around Brian and then took off for one of the other boats next to us! I have to wear my life jacket when we are out there - I freak when I can't touch bottom. But it helped calm him down floating on me for a minute and then he could focus on the ladder. He did try to climb off my knees onto the ladder - which is good! We'll be taking him out this weekend again - weather permitting. It's still feeling like April/May here in Michigan - yesterday was our first over 75 day in a while...grrrrr...

Next big adventure is visit to the dog park with a good friends two labs. Pics to follow next week! And as always - weekly updates at: Soul's Photo Album

Thanks, Sandra! He has changed a lot. We are constantly amazed when we look back at the vids and pics - as seeing every day we don't notice it as much!

He weighs in now at 12.7 pounds (Brian says we need to walk more - dog is getting chubby...yea right) and I think most of that is his ears! They are sooooo big!! LMAO - the look is one I get when he is not happy with me. I just got a minute ago b/c he got in trouble for chasing the cat up onto the kitchen table (yes...he followed via the chair - I swear - Kim crossbred my pup with a monkey!)...

great photos of SOLO! Looks like he is having a great time!! Easy on the life jacket these are AID! Bwahahaha! Sink or Swim is what I say!!

His ears do look a little bigger than Yolo's! Can't wait for a family reunion!!

Tell Brian if he uses bigger bait he will catch bigger fish!!

T

great photos of SOLO! Looks like he is having a great time!! Easy on the life jacket these are AID! Bwahahaha! Sink or Swim is what I say!!

His ears do look a little bigger than Yolo's! Can't wait for a family reunion!!

Tell Brian if he uses bigger bait he will catch bigger fish!!

T

Lovely photos, Shunka hates water that reaches over his paws, and shakes like a leaf in the shower, big boy that he is too!

Think it stems from the day we went to pick him up from Sarah, he was running around with Skye his Mum, jumping over clumps of grass and straight into a stagnent fish pond, one green pup! Well we found swimming comes naturally!

Sarah took him into the house for a shower, and brought him back to me for a cuddle.

He hasn't liked either swimming or showering since!

It's not the getting wet, if I do have to bath him, usually because he has rolled in something delightful, I soap him down in the garden with a sponge then pour water over him to rinse him, no bother at all!

Danza will charge into the river or creek but not above her chest. I think if I get in with her she'll swim, but the water here is so #@!! cold that it will never happen! We do have a little lake here that I might try if I get brave or extra hot some day.

Has it been four months already? Wow, time flies.

• 2 weeks later...

Soul got his first trip to PetCo yesterday and when I went to take pictures with cell realized it's battery was dead...grrrr...

But all in all -it went VERY well. Many people there for a dog training/obedience class - afterwards the trainer came over to meet Soul (we were not there for that - just browsing) and was very impressed with his intelligence. Soul performed like a circus clown! It was like he knew he was representing!

He played with a 4 month old lab-red fox mix puppy, sat still and waited for treats, met face to face with a 5 year old pit bull and chased a ferret which escaped his cage (that was a little scary - he slipped his collar). Needless to say - he didn't eat the ferret but when the little guy turned on him, Soul's tail went down, ears went back and he flew right at me! Seems it's okay for him to chase but he does not wish to be chased!

He got his first working harness for our walks at the lakeshore and dog parks. I learned that given a choice, he prefers girl dogs over boys and children over adults. Many cell phone pictures were taken - just none by me....grrrrrr again.

One more thing and then we will let you return to your daily activities...I think maybe we should start a referral program! Bwahahaha...I gave out the web address to 9 people yesterday. :-)

Soul and Debi