Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

5 Birds And A Mole

Over the past 2 months or so my dog has been found w/ 4 various small birds and a mole hanging out of her mouth. The family has all been skeptical as to whether Niki is the one who is catching them or if she happens upon the poor animal already injured from some other predator. Tonight I heard a commotion going on out in my drive way. I go out to witness a struggling bird under Niki's paw and her looking at me w/ this sorta guilty look. What could I say? Seeing the bird was already injured, I just turned around and went back into the garage.

I've never heard of dogs *catching* birds (moles I can understand). Anyone else have dogs w/ a vendetta on little animals?

Roscoe, my non-AID, caught a small bird in our back yard. I saw him right after it happened, while the bird was in his mouth and still alive. I told him to drop it, which he did!!!

When she was three months old, Danza came prancing out of the woods with a squirrel tail in her mouth. There was some skin attached to the tail, and it was fresh. My husband thinks she must have picked up the tail after an owl got the rest of the squirrel, but I don't think so.

How old is Niki?

Karen

Over the past 2 months or so my dog has been found w/ 4 various small birds and a mole hanging out of her mouth. The family has all been skeptical as to whether Niki is the one who is catching them or if she happens upon the poor animal already injured from some other predator. Tonight I heard a commotion going on out in my drive way. I go out to witness a struggling bird under Niki's paw and her looking at me w/ this sorta guilty look. What could I say? Seeing the bird was already injured, I just turned around and went back into the garage.

I've never heard of dogs *catching* birds (moles I can understand). Anyone else have dogs w/ a vendetta on little animals?

Hi!

All five of our AID's have been able to catch birds in flight, rabbits, turkeys - everything is fair game. Willie even climbed a tree to get a raccoon! I don't think it's a vendetta - just natural for them - a kind of survival of the fittest thing!

Judy K in Michigan

I haven't seen Koda, our 1 year old, catch anything, though she chases squirels. Shilah, our 6 month old catches birds. The first time I saw it she was throwing it up in the air and catching it again. It was quite gross!!!

Cassie caught a mouse in the woods at 4 months old. This spring, she has taken to catching birds. I found evidence of one kill in the yard, and seen her stalking them. I've seen her catch bugs in flight (which I approve of if they are in the house!). I thought it strange too, never seen a dog act so much like a cat! The only thing that bugs me is she kind of tortures things...pawing at them, and doesn't always finish the job. :)

That's pretty funny. I was thinking maybe those Dessert Lynx Cats were influencing the pups down there in Selma :) . My wife is always commenting on how Niki acts more like a cat than a dog at times.

That's pretty funny. I was thinking maybe those Dessert Lynx Cats were influencing the pups down there in Selma :) . My wife is always commenting on how Niki acts more like a cat than a dog at times.

The first summer we had Hawk, that was 3 years ago I was seeing a number of dead mice in the yard. Now, we have a cat and I just assumed she did this. I haven't seen one since that summer, but I truely believe that Hawk was the one that killed the mice and not Katalina our cat.

He was always with his nose on the ground to snif out what was there before we were.

You go around with your noses to the ground? :)

Karen

Oh, I was kidding! I did not mean to make you apologize for your English, which is 100% better than my Dutch. :)

Karen

Kim told me that some of the dogs were the chasers, and would chase the game down through a field, while the other type, the catchers, would wait towards the end to take down the game. Coyo loves to chase, but after catching one, he now stops to let them get away. It's quite strange to see. What a softy.

If you haven't seen the Planet Earth film of the wild dogs of Africa, working together to take down prey, I highly recommend it. Once again, the "experts" are surprised at the communal effort. It's a bit difficult to watch, but that is life.

Guess I'm a softy, too.

Kim told me that some of the dogs were the chasers, and would chase the game down through a field, while the other type, the catchers, would wait towards the end to take down the game. Coyo loves to chase, but after catching one, he now stops to let them get away. It's quite strange to see. What a softy.

If you haven't seen the Planet Earth film of the wild dogs of Africa, working together to take down prey, I highly recommend it. Once again, the "experts" are surprised at the communal effort. It's a bit difficult to watch, but that is life.

Guess I'm a softy, too.

I think Shunka would find the prey, and put it up for Holly, she's the speedster and will kill rabbits etc, it is what she is bred for, but we would then need a retriever as niether of our two like to retrieve!

I'm a softy too at heart. but do like venison and rabbit!