Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Lyme Shots

Hey guys!

Has anyone heard of a dog having a reaction to their Lyme disease shot? One of our dogs had her shot the other day and has been lethargic and has a slight fever - know that cuz her nose is dry. Called the vet who said give her an ascriptin in the morning and evening, and that kinda helped, but all she wants to do is sleep. She's going to the vet first thing in the morning for blood work? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Judy K in Michigan

Edited by judyk

I found a ton of stuff. Here's a few, and one concerning humans:

changing vaccine protocals

And this one, from Wikipedia, give you several other leads, as well.

N.Y. Times article

Thanks!!!!

Forgot to mention that she's had these vaccinations every year for 8 years and this is the first time we've seen her react like this. But, HOPEFULLY, it's not serious and will work itself out. Needless to say, we are both concerned so that's why she's going to the vet in the morning. The vet did offer to meet us today but Larry wanted to give her one more day - hopefully the one day isn't going to make a difference in her.

Forgot to mention that she's had these vaccinations every year for 8 years and this is the first time we've seen her react like this. But, HOPEFULLY, it's not serious and will work itself out. Needless to say, we are both concerned so that's why she's going to the vet in the morning. The vet did offer to meet us today but Larry wanted to give her one more day - hopefully the one day isn't going to make a difference in her.

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

Shunka wasn't too well the other day, sometimes he gets an upset tummy and a slight fever, then he's fine the next day.

Of course it may be a coincidence and not the jab at all. I think they can get things like colds and indiscrimate bugs now and again too, just like us.

I really hope its nothing serious.

You might ask if your doc has switched vaccines.

Wishing you well.

You might ask if your doc has switched vaccines.

Wishing you well.

THought I'd give an update if anyone was interested. The vet hadn't changed the brand of serum that she used in over five years. She explained that sometimes after an animal has hosted ticks (we had a qazillion last year and both dogs had to be brushed, combed and picked at daily) a number of times the serum can have an adverse reaction. She found swelling at the injection site along with a fever so she began antibiotics as well as a 10 day plan of steroids to get the swelling down. A complete blood work up was done and she just called to say that everything came back normal. One of the assistants at the vets office said they all panicked when Larry called and explained her condition. We can see much improvement today - her eyes have their sparkle back and she has a bit more energy. Last year she was totally lethargic, slept the day away and after much prodding Larry took her in, had a blood workup done and it was found that she has thyroid problems. She started a medication and has been like a puppy since then - until the shot episode.

Her chart is marked so she will never have the Lyme shot again. Bleu will have to be watched very intently next year in light of his problems. We're on our way to recovery and am just very thankful that the worse didn't occur as it was explained that sometimes the reaction can be fatal!!!

Judy K in Michigan B)

Such a relief! We are all glad to hear. This Lyme's is a trouble, and a worry to us all. Whew!

Such a relief! We are all glad to hear. This Lyme's is a trouble, and a worry to us all. Whew!

We have a similar problem over here, but not as rife. Luckily although we have a lot of deer in the area (roe and red deer) it isn't a problem, sheep ticks are more likely, but even that is rare. Now cat fleas are another problem!

Because of the warm weather (except for now it is freezing!) we get the ticks that spread Lyme. Over here we don't have vaccinations. We just spray them with Exel or other stuff so that they don't get fleas and ticks. But we always have to check our dogs because it works better one year and less the other.

Interesting, what you say about it working one year, and then not the next. Thanks, that is very useful information.

Interesting, what you say about it working one year, and then not the next. Thanks, that is very useful information.

We use Advantage on Shunka. its just a few drops behind his neck or on the base of his tail, this stops fleas, ticks and worms too, you can only get this one through the vets though.

It lasts 3 -4 months so is really good for tthe high summer season.

Edited by liz

I really do not like to use those things, but I do during ticks months, now that we have our property, or when we visit Kim's. Lots of deer, and lots of deer ticks during the Spring. Thanks for the reminder, too, I'll have to dig out my last dose for the Spring trip.

Just a reminder to all, the Hartz brand, that you can buy at the grocery store is poison. Seriously. Both my dog and myself got poisoned from it--hence the reluctance to use any of those topicals. I learned whatever is on my dog, is on me, too.

Including ticks! Right? :D

I really do not like to use those things, but I do during ticks months, now that we have our property, or when we visit Kim's. Lots of deer, and lots of deer ticks during the Spring. Thanks for the reminder, too, I'll have to dig out my last dose for the Spring trip.

Just a reminder to all, the Hartz brand, that you can buy at the grocery store is poison. Seriously. Both my dog and myself got poisoned from it--hence the reluctance to use any of those topicals. I learned whatever is on my dog, is on me, too.

Including ticks! Right? :D

Thanks for the warning, you have to be careful with the stuff from the vets too, not to get it on your own skin, Sarah has told me to use garlic on the cats instead, she says it works!

You put the juice from a cut peice of garlic on the neck as you would the other stuff, it works for cats, and they seem to pick up the most pests around here. It acts as a deterrent, so does citrus I've heard, and at least that smells better! but the cats hate that!

Edited by liz

Dear All,

Except for the lyme desease a much more dangerous variant entered Holland from the south of Europe. The Agressive tick (Rhipicephalus) is found in almost al nature areas. This . Symptomes are bloodings, fever, loss of wait. Also the Dermacentor Tick is found now causing causing the illness babesiose, which is called dogkiller. Last year more than one dog died and several get very ill. It causes a bloodparasite and kidney failure, they die if you notice to late.

Be aware that these ticks have a different colour (2 coloured) than the ones causing Lyme.

If a dog has been bit and you see later symptomes like this, go to the vet immediately.

These Ticks are also dangerous for People so take care.

I agree with Paul and Angeligue that garlic can cause dogs and horses to be sick. I did not know untill my course First aid for horses.

Regards,

Truus

• 2 weeks later...
Brewers yeast tablets with garlic work well for fleas also. Tareva loves em thinks they are treats haven't given them to Sassy yet tho.

Hi!

Our dogs get the brewers yeast every day but it doesn't do anything for the ticks and fleas in northern Michigan. It's amazing what these nasty critters do to animals. Noticed last night that the skunks are already out even though we still have snow on the ground and housetops and ice on the lakes! We had a bumper crop last year and Shadow introduced herself twice to skunks -- guess she thought we loved the smell!

Judy K in Michigan