Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hunting Dog?

We've befriended a few birds around our house. It's not too difficult, you just keep feeding them, and they warm up to you. Anyway, when my husband and I went to talk to Kim and Arlene about our dog, we told them we had a parrot, and we had some Crow friends, and we were a little concerned that we might lose them, by adding a dog into the mix. But they assured us, it would be fine, and maybe even better then fine.

So Coyo learns pretty quickly, that he can't chase all the birds. He can chase the pigeons (Sorry Kim)and Starlings, but not the others. And the birds have learned that Coyo keeps the squirrels away from their goodies.

Now, I always say that Coyo is a hunting dog, but he doesn't like to hurt things. I know that sounds crazy, but we just sneak up on things. It's cool. We have stood silently in a forest, and had Deer practically run into us. He used to be more aggressive, but after catching his first squirrel, it squeaked--just like one of his toys, so he dropped it, and it seems he has never tried to actually catch one again. He just chases them up the tree---he likes a good chase. So this year, a few of you were talking about your dogs making kills, and I began to wonder if I was over--romanticizing his attitude toward game animals. I got my answer, just the other day. And while I am certain, that if he saw one of your dogs, kill something, he would have to try it, at this point, he really does not need to kill for food, and apparently chooses not too.

Right now, there are many baby squirrels about, and they aren't too clever yet. So we saw one coming down the sidewalk, and we stopped still, as usual. The little squirrel continues forward, and stops 10 feet away, standing up, seeing us there in his path. So he moves this way and that way, but decides to continue straight towards us, down the walk. Coyo lays down on his belly, and I stay very still, but suggest quietly to the little guy, that he go up a tree. He continues forward, and stops just two feet in front of Coyo. Well, Coyo sits up! He was trying to scare the little guy off! No barking, no chasing, finally the thing starts running to the nearest tree. Coyo even waited until he was on the tree to chase him up into the branches.

That could be the end, but it isn't. The crows were watching. So one crow dives into the tree and scares the squirrel back down the trunk, and Coyo chases him back up. They are like baseball players with a man caught between bases. Up and down, the little squirrel goes. Then another crow joins in, and then another!

Well, it becames pretty apparent to both Coyo and me, that the squirrel didn't stand a chance. So I said, "okay, let him go." And Coyo backed up and let the little guy get to safety.

He has worked with the Crows this way, a number of times. He has even realized that where crows are making noise, there is usually game or at least, something interesting going on.

And that is how he got his middle name.

Crowdog1.JPG crowdog2.JPG

Hi Allison,

Love your squirrel and crow story. We have crows here also and I have a new respect for them since they found our lost cat several years ago..twice. In a round-about way, if it were not for the crows, we would not have found Spiritt and Tulip. They are the "messengers".

Marie

Yes, crows and ravens are incredibly intelligent. I enjoy watching them. Over here we have Ravens - my daughter has some kind of affinity with them, they just gravitate toward her, which is kind of neat. I loved the story about Coyo and his crows and the little squirrel. These dogs - they never cease to amaze me. Sometimes I think if we told these stories and neglected to put in the part about them being dogs people would assume we were talking about people or at least children!!

Yes, this is the kind of thing I can see Shawn do as well. He has this thing with birds and young ones, too.

Molly

Marie--tell us the story of the crows finding your cat, and how did they help you to get S and T?

Hi Allison,

I'll be glad to tell the story. I think I have it somewhere on my computer. It's a bit long, but very interesting. It's late, so maybe tomorrow. We are involved in a four-day dowsing conference right now at UCSC, so time is a little scarce. I'll get back to you on that, for sure.

Marie

Hi Allison,

I'll be glad to tell the story. I think I have it somewhere on my computer. It's a bit long, but very interesting. It's late, so maybe tomorrow. We are involved in a four-day dowsing conference right now at UCSC, so time is a little scarce. I'll get back to you on that, for sure.

Marie

Thanks for the great story Allison.

KK

Great story, Allison.

Dakota has a thing with cats, a few blocks from our new house she found 4 kittens. Everytime we take a walk and we pass the kittens she start squaking and when the door is open the kittens come outside now the kittens are so brave that they come to Dakota about 2 meters away from her, by the end of the week I think that they are playing. Dakota did this before with a little kitten from a neighbour in our old house.